Honored Contributor

Re: Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

@VaBelle35   I never tried macrame.  My oldest granddaughter does crafts with embroidery thread that looks like macrame.  She is very artistic. 

Trusted Contributor

You are actually talking about two different processes: (1) Doing the needlepoint pattern, and (2) making a pillow. Two different skillsets.

I have sewn since I was a child and I took up needlepoint about 20 years ago. If I were you, and you have no sewing background, I would concentrate on the needlepoint project and have a seamstress make the pillow for you.

As far as the needlepoint goes, you need to start with a simple pattern painted on a canvas. The small needlepoint shops usually have a good selection of painted canvases that are not really expensive. I never spent $200 for a painted canvas. These kits you are talking about sound like a rip off, unless things have completely changed since I was needlepointing. I started with small initial canvases. The needlepoint stitch is easier than cross stitch. It always goes from lower left to upper right. If you cannot find a small needlepoint shop in your area, then check the internet. After you have completed your needlepoint, you will need to have it stretched before it is made into a pillow. This why you do not want your stitches to be overly tight. This is where a local needlepoint shop would come in handy. If you do not have one locally, then find one somewhere close enough to have phone conversations, do zoom classes, and mail things back and forth. I started with a needlepoint shop on Balboa Island in Newport Beach, California. I don't even know if it is still there, but they had really cute painted canvases and samples of what the completed projects looked like. They were so cute that I was inspired to try it.

I enjoyed hours of needlepointing and hope you will as well. It just takes practice.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RealtyGal2   Thank you.  I never intended to try to make the pillow myself.  I would ask for referrals for someone to make it.  The first thing I did was check the internet for craft and needlework stores around here.  The only thing that comes up is JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby & Michael's.  I'm going out today to look for a small 5" x 5" kit.

The expensive designs I was looking at are Elizabeth Bradley.  They're unusually gorgeous.  I will start with an inexpensive one and see if I enjoy doing it.  If it turns out well I may get it framed.  I definitely want a larger pillow though.

On the Elizabeth Bradley website there are tutorials on how to do the stitches.  I am going to look at You Tube videos today.  I will also ask at JoAnne's if they have classes.  I really doubt they do at this time.  When I was cross stitching there were several needlework shops in town.  I'm disappointed that there aren't any now.  Thanks for the tip on not making the stitches too tight so it can be stretched.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

My CC would like to have a word with you about the charge for the Primavera pattern 😉

There can be a real difference in wool and hope hers is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

@NickNack 

My CC would like to have a word with you about the charge for the Primavera pattern 😉

There can be a real difference in wool and hope hers is beautiful.

@Still Raining   Oh yes, I noticed that one!  It's beautiful!

My 5 x 5 kit from Amazon came today.  It looks complicated.  I hope I can master it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

A nice pattern.  

Looks like all one stitch, simple.  Sure you know from cross stitch that you picked a complex one.  You already know all about finishing off and changing colors.

However, it appears to be either printed on fabric or to use waste canvas.  Perhaps due to these quirks, it does not have the background filled in.

I have not had really even stitches with fabric or waste canvas.  JMHO 🥰

@Still Raining   I was just reading this thread again and wanted to answer this.  From watching the videos on the website I plan to order the pillow canvas from (in the future) they use interlock canvas.  They say it doesn't ravel so you don't have to cover the edges with masking tape.

Also, the background is filled in.  I would not want to do a counted needlepoint, although that's what I did with cross stitch.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, looks the bird choice is a nice kit.  Interlock keeps its squares better.  Binding the edges while working can be a personal choice if it chaffs.

Hope the current kit goes well and kiss your furry babies ❤️