Honored Contributor

Re: Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

[ Edited ]

@justashopper wrote:

@NickNack 

Have you looked at the craft stores, like MIchael's?  I have bought less expensive kits there.  I even bought one from amazon. You can find cheaper kits like, little pillows (like 5"x5") or a little framed piece. They usually come with directions.  I have done little projects like this since I was a girl.  It's not hard.  You can learn.  

Just make sure to get yourself a thimble, a needle threader and a loop.  They are not expensive but will make your experience so much more enjoyable. 

Start small, make a couple little things and build up to a the big pillow. Some pillow kits come as a pillow case with the pillow.  Or the directions explain how to make into a pillow and may come with the filling.  It depends.  

Good luck!!

Thank you @justashopper .  I plan on going to Michael's and JoAnne's before I order a kit.  You said I should get a loop.  What is that?

Edited to say:  Do you mean an embroidery ring like you would use in cross stitch?  I thought needlepoint canvases were stiff and you didn't do that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   That's a funny story about your cat.  I do love birds.  I have two bird feeders outside of Henry's (my cat's) window where his cat tower is so he can watch them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Here is the one I did last year around this time.

I had done needlepoint as a teenager, but I forgot it all over the last 40 years, plus I never did any of some of these stitches, like the roses.

Needlepoint.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Your piece is beautiful @VaBelle35 !

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   @justashopper   @VaBelle35 

I decided to start with a very inexpensive ($10) kit.  I hope the printed canvas is clear enough to tell the colors apart.  I've read that it's hard to tell in some of the less expensive kits.  I ordered it from Amazon.  If I make mistakes it won't matter that much.  If I'm happy with it, I will frame it.

If I enjoy working on it, I will order the Carolina Wrens with the nest (first picture I posted) next.  It's a 16 x 16 kit.

D6925EC8-C1C3-491E-BB55-0447CBD31475.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Here is the one I did last year around this time.

I had done needlepoint as a teenager, but I forgot it all over the last 40 years, plus I never did any of some of these stitches, like the roses.

Needlepoint.jpg

This is beautiful, but it's not needlepoint.  It's crewel embroidery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  Correct.  I don't have a picture of my needlepoint one.  I have to dig it out of my sewing box as I never finished it.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

I got distracted by jigsaw puzzled.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I did embroidery, needlepoint and crochet in the last year.

I did 2 different crochet blankets this winter.  I like sitting under them to keep warm.

I think I've exhausted all of the needle arts.  LOL  I could never get into knitting for some reason.  My nextdoor neighbor tried to teach me once, but I just wasn't into it. 

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35   Oh, I understand.  I have a bunch of unfinished projects in a box.  I bought a beautiful tapestry to needlepoint  while on my honeymoon.  It was not a kit and is pretty big.  I decided to use 100% wool yarn, which is  expensive when you need at least a hundred colors.

I pull it out every now and again to work on it, but it still isn't finished.  I will be married 48 years in July.

I have many pieces that are finished, but not framed yet.  Some I made when my kids were babies.. they are all in their 40's now.

I guess I have no excuses. I am retired.  I am enjoying this thread and it has reminded me to get working on those projects that I enjoy.

Embroidery is my first love and my favorite.  I can do hand smocking too.  My daughter told me she still has a dress I made when she was around 3 years old. I  smocked and embroidered the bodice.  I guess I had to finished that project.  She wore the dress to a wedding she was in...flower girl.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   My nextdoor neighbor has a chest of unfinished projects as well.  I guess it's a thing.  An old boyfriend used to do glass art and he also has a room full of glass and unfinished projects.

Do people still do macrame?  I remember doing a ton of it in the 70s.  I probably made a belt in every color at the time.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN