Esteemed Contributor

Re: Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

@NickNack 

Happy to be an enabler 🥰

I would say that if you checked a few YouTube and took a deep breath, that you should just go for it.  

If you are skilled in cross stitch, you know way more than you need.  My sister always said that needlepoint was for those flunked cross stitch.  At least with a pillow you can hide the back.  

10 mesh is a good beginner size and, if it is a kit, the yarn will be the right size.  Canvas is just a road map about where to poke the needle, and can be rolled as needed.  For me, I work without a frame.  It can be sized and cleaned at the end.

One thought would be to wait until the pattern is completed and then decide on the background color, cording and back fabric.  Could be a different color would be more pleasing to you.  

Have fun!

Respected Contributor

Another vote for YouTube.  There is apparently nothing that you cannot learn on YouTube.  I fixed my closet door myself, thanks to YouTube.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@NickNack 

Happy to be an enabler 🥰

I would say that if you checked a few YouTube and took a deep breath, that you should just go for it.  

If you are skilled in cross stitch, you know way more than you need.  My sister always said that needlepoint was for those flunked cross stitch.  At least with a pillow you can hide the back.  

10 mesh is a good beginner size and, if it is a kit, the yarn will be the right size.  Canvas is just a road map about where to poke the needle, and can be rolled as needed.  For me, I work without a frame.  It can be sized and cleaned at the end.

One thought would be to wait until the pattern is completed and then decide on the background color, cording and back fabric.  Could be a different color would be more pleasing to you.  

Have fun!

Thank you again @Still Raining .  I was an accomplished cross stitcher, but I probably haven't done it in 20 years.  That's interesting that your sister said that.  I will definitely watch a few You Tube videos before ordering a kit.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I would like to learn how to needlepoint so that I can make a beautiful pillow.  I've never done any needlepoint ever.  I used to cross stitch and have made many pieces.  I have a couple of them hanging in my home.  

I know I would have to start out with something small but am not sure how to get started.  I've found some beautiful kits online but would need someone to teach me the stitches.  When I look up craft stores in my area the ones that come up are JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby.  Do they have classes?  There are also instructional videos online but not sure I could learn something so intricate from a video. 

Does anyone needlepoint anymore?  The nicer kits like I would want for a pillow are quite expensive, i.e. $200+.  Is it realistic to think I could learn from a video if I can't find a class?  They may not be teaching classes at this time due to Covid.

I guess if I did needlepoint the pillow I would have to find someone to finish it into a pillow.  I would think JoAnn's could tell me who to call for that.

This is the pillow I would love to make.  I think the birds are Carolina Wrens, which are my favorite bird.  I realize it would take a while to get to this skill level.

2254C3C0-189A-4080-A316-7C01454E66E3.jpeg

@NickNack 

I used to needlepoint and cross-stitch.  I would say if you have the patience to cross-stitch you can needlepoint and it would not take you long to get to that point if you had a imprinted pattern.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   @Still Raining   I just looked at the needlepoint designer's website, and the stitch that they recommend using for her designs is the Victorian Cross Stitch.  I watched the video and feel like I could do it.  She has videos for each part of the process.

I think I'm going to start with a smaller one, though, to make sure I'll enjoy it.  She has 6" x 6" kits, too, and I may start on one of those instead of getting a beginner kit.

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   My sister in law taught herself to knit and crochet by watching videos.  She made me a beautiful scarf and hat.  

Our local library is offering a crochet class right now, if interested you could call your local library and see if they offer classes, but I do think the craft stores do offer classes.  

Have fun...my mom used to do a lot of hand work, knit, crochet, and needle point...I was not given the gene...sadly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Nonametoday   @Still Raining   I just looked at the needlepoint designer's website, and the stitch that they recommend using for her designs is the Victorian Cross Stitch.  I watched the video and feel like I could do it.  She has videos for each part of the process.

I think I'm going to start with a smaller one, though, to make sure I'll enjoy it.  She has 6" x 6" kits, too, and I may start on one of those instead of getting a beginner kit.

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement!

@NickNack 

You can do it.  That is an excellent idea to start with a 6 x 6 kit. I remember starting and Idid an old English inscription of "Merry Christmas with a beige background and a wreath and berries stitched on the perimeter of the lettering.  

Then I learned to cross-stitch and went crazy doing that although I did quite a bit of needlepoint also.

I have some cross-stitch on my garden tub of a bouquet of roses framed.  I did all the children a Christmas stocking in needlepoint for one side and some kind of linen material (I think) for the other side.  I really cannot recall.  They still have them and hang them each year.  I know they are proud of them.  They all like the sentimental part of Christmas from their past.  Their own children's Christmases are very commercial feeling.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday   I love needlepoint stockings.  I'm sure the ones you made for your children are beautiful.

This is the 6 x 6 mini kit I'm thinking about getting.  This is what it comes with.  

The Robin design is 6" x 6" on a 10" x 10" canvas. The kit includes printed canvas measuring 10 holes per inch, chart card, needles and Elizabeth Bradley Tapestry Wool.

I'm thinking I also need to get floss bags, a needle threader and some small scissors.  Is there anything else I need?

B8E6ED74-A12E-4D28-8A97-5C5E25FA981B.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NickNack  My mom taught me how to needlepoint when I was very young. We made so many beautiful pieces together. We did wall hangings, pillows & tablecloths. Thanks for bringing back those memories.I hadn't thought about them in years. I still have most of our creations in a chest in my attack.

@NicksmomESQ   You should bring out at least a pillow or two.  I'll bet they're beautiful.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Krimpette  and @Foxxee .  I've decided to get a 6" x 6" pattern to start.

-Henry David Thoreau