Honored Contributor

Re: Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

@VaBelle35 wrote:

You Tube was very helpful to me last year as there are people who have videos of each specific stitch.

I went on Amazon and searched "Embroidery Kit for Beginners" which was helpful as it came with everything I needed to get started and I didn't have to fool with buying all the thread colors, etc.  The instructions were okay, but the youtube videos of each stitch were the best help.

Thank you @VaBelle35 .  I'll watch some YouTube videos before I start.  The website I'll be ordering from has video tutorials as well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Carmie .  I've decided to start with a smaller 6" x 6" pattern.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NickNack  My mom taught me how to needlepoint when I was very young. We made so many beautiful pieces together. We did wall hangings, pillows & tablecloths. Thanks for bringing back those memories.I hadn't thought about them in years. I still have most of our creations in a chest in my attack.

@NicksmomESQ   You should bring out at least a pillow or two.  I'll bet they're beautiful.

@NickNack  You're right.After my mom passed away those memories were too painful so I put them away. Now that you reminded me of them, I texted my DIL this morning.She's coming over to help me go through the chest.I told her she can have whatever she wants.She's excited to get some family treasures.I'm gearing up for a good cry later as I go down memory lane with the kids.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NickNack  My mom taught me how to needlepoint when I was very young. We made so many beautiful pieces together. We did wall hangings, pillows & tablecloths. Thanks for bringing back those memories.I hadn't thought about them in years. I still have most of our creations in a chest in my attack.

@NicksmomESQ   You should bring out at least a pillow or two.  I'll bet they're beautiful.

@NickNack  You're right.After my mom passed away those memories were too painful so I put them away. Now that you reminded me of them, I texted my DIL this morning.She's coming over to help me go through the chest.I told her she can have whatever she wants.She's excited to get some family treasures.I'm gearing up for a good cry later as I go down memory lane with the kids.

@NicksmomESQ   I'm so glad you're going to do this.  I hope it brings back happy memories and doesn't make you cry.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

Good luck with your needlepoint project.  My sister-in-law spends a lot of time in the winter doing that.  The wren design is beautiful. 

They happen to be my favorite bird come spring/summer time.  Their singing is so sweet.  We enjoy watching the nesting & feeding the babies.  Now, I'm feeling guilty for singling them out as my favorites when we have other birds I love also.  It's just the wrens don't hang around as long as the others do.

Let us know how you make out. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

That certainly is a beauitful pillow---LOVE IT!!! 

I do embroidery and cross stitch....My aunt preferred needlepoint and said it was easier, she was going to teach me, but she suddenly passed away....I miss her, she was such a creative person and a friend as well....😥

Good luck on your needlepoint instruction journey.....I bet you will pick up the craft easily and will start working on that pillow in no time.....Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Have you looked at the craft stores, like MIchael's?  I have bought less expensive kits there.  I even bought one from amazon. You can find cheaper kits like, little pillows (like 5"x5") or a little framed piece. They usually come with directions.  I have done little projects like this since I was a girl.  It's not hard.  You can learn.  

Just make sure to get yourself a thimble, a needle threader and a loop.  They are not expensive but will make your experience so much more enjoyable. 

Start small, make a couple little things and build up to a the big pillow. Some pillow kits come as a pillow case with the pillow.  Or the directions explain how to make into a pillow and may come with the filling.  It depends.  

Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Nonametoday   I love needlepoint stockings.  I'm sure the ones you made for your children are beautiful.

This is the 6 x 6 mini kit I'm thinking about getting.  This is what it comes with.  

The Robin design is 6" x 6" on a 10" x 10" canvas. The kit includes printed canvas measuring 10 holes per inch, chart card, needles and Elizabeth Bradley Tapestry Wool.

I'm thinking I also need to get floss bags, a needle threader and some small scissors.  Is there anything else I need?

B8E6ED74-A12E-4D28-8A97-5C5E25FA981B.jpeg

@NickNack 

This is very good, neat work.  You will do fine.  I see you are a bird lover. I like that very much. 

Funny story about my cat.  We don't let her get out to get birds but she really wants to.  There is a beautiful piece of artwork that is a signed piece that I bought at an art sale in Ohio years ago hanging over my husband's toilet.  It is very big.  It just fits from the top of the toilet tank to near the ceiling.  She got up onto the toilet this morning and tried to get the bird out of the frame.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Nonametoday   I love needlepoint stockings.  I'm sure the ones you made for your children are beautiful.

This is the 6 x 6 mini kit I'm thinking about getting.  This is what it comes with.  

The Robin design is 6" x 6" on a 10" x 10" canvas. The kit includes printed canvas measuring 10 holes per inch, chart card, needles and Elizabeth Bradley Tapestry Wool.

I'm thinking I also need to get floss bags, a needle threader and some small scissors.  Is there anything else I need?

B8E6ED74-A12E-4D28-8A97-5C5E25FA981B.jpeg

@NickNack 

I think you have everything you need but your "kit" from the artist whose work you are doing should have all the things you will need.  Or at least, that is how it was when I was doing needlepoint.  I hope you will find that it is.  I cannot wait to hear how it comes along.  We want pictures.

Honored Contributor

I use to needlepoint years ago.  I have not done so in over 30 years.  Needlepoint is easy to learn.

kindness is strength