Honored Contributor

Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

[ Edited ]

I would like to learn how to needlepoint so that I can make a beautiful pillow.  I've never done any needlepoint ever.  I used to cross stitch and have made many pieces.  I have a couple of them hanging in my home.  

I know I would have to start out with something small but am not sure how to get started.  I've found some beautiful kits online but would need someone to teach me the stitches.  When I look up craft stores in my area the ones that come up are JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby.  Do they have classes?  There are also instructional videos online but not sure I could learn something so intricate from a video. 

Does anyone needlepoint anymore?  The nicer kits like I would want for a pillow are quite expensive, i.e. $200+.  Is it realistic to think I could learn from a video if I can't find a class?  They may not be teaching classes at this time due to Covid.

I guess if I did needlepoint the pillow I would have to find someone to finish it into a pillow.  I would think JoAnn's could tell me who to call for that.

This is the pillow I would love to make.  I think the birds are Carolina Wrens, which are my favorite bird.  I realize it would take a while to get to this skill level.

2254C3C0-189A-4080-A316-7C01454E66E3.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Want To Learn How To Needlepoint

@NickNack  My mom taught me how to needlepoint when I was very young. We made so many beautiful pieces together. We did wall hangings, pillows & tablecloths. Thanks for bringing back those memories.I hadn't thought about them in years. I still have most of our creations in a chest in my attack.

Honored Contributor

Lots of tutorials on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

Very easy if your pattern is printed on the canvas.  See videos on Youtube on how to do it. 

You might want to practice on a simple small pattern first to get the hang of it.    

Honored Contributor

You Tube was very helpful to me last year as there are people who have videos of each specific stitch.

I went on Amazon and searched "Embroidery Kit for Beginners" which was helpful as it came with everything I needed to get started and I didn't have to fool with buying all the thread colors, etc.  The instructions were okay, but the youtube videos of each stitch were the best help.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I think if you can crossstitch, you should be able to needlepoint. It is similar

except you are working on a canvas which is stiff and you won't be using a hoop and most likely yarn instead of floss.

The stitches aren't difficult for the most part.  I think you could learn how on YouTube.  I would suggest that you start out with a small kit and not try a big project.

I learned to embroider before I learned to read and write and enjoy it.  I took a two hour class years ago on how to embroider with satin ribbon at a fabric store,  but if Youtube  was around, I could have picked it up on there.

Give it a go. if you enjoy stitching  by hand, you'll not have a problem.  IMO, it is way easier than crocheting and knitting, both of which I tried and failed.

Esteemed Contributor

A nice pattern.  

Looks like all one stitch, simple.  Sure you know from cross stitch that you picked a complex one.  You already know all about finishing off and changing colors.

However, it appears to be either printed on fabric or to use waste canvas.  Perhaps due to these quirks, it does not have the background filled in.

I have not had really even stitches with fabric or waste canvas.  JMHO 🥰

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

A nice pattern.  

Looks like all one stitch, simple.  Sure you know from cross stitch that you picked a complex one.  You already know all about finishing off and changing colors.

However, it appears to be either printed on fabric or to use waste canvas.  Perhaps due to these quirks, it does not have the background filled in.

I have not had really even stitches with fabric or waste canvas.  JMHO 🥰

Thank you for your insight @Still Raining .  It is a printed design, and the background is filled in.  You can choose your color, and I am thinking black would look nice in my house.  It's printed on canvas.  Is that difficult to work with?  I know it's a complex pattern and would probably do a few beginner kits before attempting it.  I am inserting a picture of the pattern with a black background.

Here is what it says about it:

Relax and stitch a high quality Elizabeth Bradley Design needlepoint tapestry kit.

Design: Apple Blossom

Size: 16"x16" printed design on a 20"x20"canvas

Kit includes everything you need to stitch the design: Printed canvas on 10 mesh count, a full-size color chart card, needles, and Elizabeth Bradley tapestry wool.

Here it is in black:

6AEC9BB5-80D1-45D7-A27C-75E0F69969F4.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

find YouTube videos

in the current pandemic, most craft stores are open limited hours & no longer allow working on projects in the store

Honored Contributor

I never had the patience for any of those needle crafts.  I admire those who do it so well!