Honored Contributor

I've had several jobs that I really hated!  Waitressing, bar tending, cleaning -- to name a few.  These jobs are HARD!!!  At least they were for me.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Job You Ever Had

[ Edited ]

@trenet wrote:

Picking green beans as a teenager.  Wet aphids in the morning.  Hot weather and Smelly outhouses.  Yecch!  

@trenet  Ahhh that brings back memories!  When I was a teen I picked blueberries on a farm near our home.  I only picked them to make fast cash for  going to 7-11 and buy candy! LOL!  That is what  my friends and I  did for several hours on Saturdays when the blueberries were ripe!  No age requirements... no paper work. They would hire anyone who would pick them... hard work YES but we loved going afterwards for slurpees and bags of candy we paid with  with with that money we made picking. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I sure have enjoyed reading all your posts and sharing the jobs you all have done!  Thanks so much for making this a nice thread. And I learned so much! I never even thought of someone working in a bubble gum factory making gum!  This thread really opened my eyes.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids ...I think I used to date her son. LOL! His mother was an attorney in Redondo Beach. He was a total control freak. That relationship didn't last long.

Worst job I ever had: My brother and I delivered a major newspaper on Sunday mornings as young children. We had to get up about 4:30 am to "stuff" the newspapers (put all the inserts in). It was a regular assembly line in our kitchen. Then we had to load the wagon or sled with all the papers and deliver them all over our part of town. If it was winter, we had to wear about 4 layers. Trying to push that sled through the snow was awful. Had to deliver it exactly where the people wanted it. Some people wanted to pay each week; others didn't want to pay at all. For those, we would go out and try to collect during the week, and they would not answer the door when they saw us coming. We couldn't get paid for those papers until we collected. Have to say that I learned a lot from that job though.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

working one summer in a non-airconditioned wallpaper factory - pasting samples in books which were then sent to wallpaper stores - 

smelly, hot, sticky and lots of paper cuts!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Camp counselor for nine-year olds at a YMCA summer camp.   Sounds like fun, right?

Contributor
We were relocating - took a position as a paralegal in our new area - it was a plaintiff firm and worked for 3 witches - when I had to make funeral arrangements for the senior partner's ex-hubby, I immediately started looking for a new position. Fortunately found a great job in a defense firm!
Honored Contributor

haven’t had many jobs. My parents would not let me work at anything. The closest I could work while in late high school senior year, was babysitting after school and weekends for who my parents said I could sit for. They would accept jobs for me even when I didn’t want to babysit. Hated sitting.

Then I went to nursing school, got a job at a hospital for about 18 months , left that job because I got married and husband was in military so had to move for the next 20 yrs. Never was in one spot long enough to get a job.

Then when DH finally retired from military I went to work for an office supply store for about 3 yrs, Job was good, people nice to work with except for a couple here and there.

then I went to my worst job ever. I worked for a trucking company. the stress was over the top. The stuff this company did under the table. Unreal. I had to fire drivers. Everything that was given to me was not in the job descriptions. I last close to 3 yrs at that place, I left. I couldn’t handle the stuff going on. The owners wife worked with me. She would do things and her husband would yell at me for things I never did, it was his wife who this or that and I i would the accused. I never trusted any of the owners in the his company. My back was so uncovered, never knew which way the wind was blowing with them. 

I went back to retail for about a year and just  told my dh I was done working. Let me stay home and he would earn the money.

I keep house that is all I do now. Some days it is hard work others not to bad.

Respected Contributor

When I was about 13, I had a brief job sorting yarn!

A neighbor of ours had a friend who owned a yarn shop, and she wanted someone to come in on Saturdays (all day, 8 hours) and sort and organize yarn.  

I decided to try it, just for something different.  

It was the most tedious job I could ever imagine.  I hated it, and I quit after two Saturdays.  

It didn't matter, because I had a thriving babysitting gig going on.  I actually didn't mind babysitting at all.  I was booked most weekends, sometimes all day as well.  And I did evenings during the week until 10pm.

As an adult, I can't say I really had a job that I hated. Some were more stressful than others, but overall I loved all of my jobs.  I also learned a lot from each one, as well.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paralegal in a personal injury law firm. I practically had a nervous breakdown. They had a huge case load and not enough staff. I had to be on top of 180 files and all of those court and discovery deadlines, filling out time slips all day and getting yelled at for not billing enough. I had to hound down doctor's offices and hospitals for medical records all day. Scheduling depositions is the worst - you finally get them ironed out and then the other side can't do it, or your boss decides to go golfing and you have to start all over. 

The worst was clients calling all day "Did my case settle yet, why didn't you settle my case yet, I need my money." A lot of them decided to call every Friday and be jerks about it, as if that was going to magically make their case settle. and they had insignificant claims - "A piece of walnut in my Dunkin Donut scratched my  gums. I stepped on a theft protection device in a shoe at the store. I sprained my knee at a neighbor's house. My coffee cup was hot." Some of the clients were very mean, and my boss blamed all his oversights on me when he was in court. The clerk at the court told me and so did some of the clients.

Some of the legitimate cases were horribly sad. A kid who became a paraplegic when he dove into a swimming pool, a suicide, people who's spouses or children died in car accidents, a woman who got raped in a shopping center parking lot. Horrible stuff like that. And the bosses just wanting the money, money, money.

I worked late every day and ate at my desk. They had ancient computers that were always breaking down. The women in the office were rabid bitch wolves. I drove home crying every night and drove to work in terror every morning.