Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Don't They Ring The Doorbell?

@Reever wrote:

I was watching HGTV and one of the program hosts (cannot recall which one) said doorbells have gotten out of style and are considered tacky by younger homeowners.  The younger generation certainly has strange tastes. I often shake my head watching these home remodeling shows. I assume most delivery people are under 40 so perhaps that is why they have an aversion to ringing the bell. In my area you are fortunate to even get a knock. They often dump packages and quickly run back to their vehicle presumably to text or listen to music on the device that they are tethered to.

@Reever Why would you presume they are running back to their vehicle to text or listen to music?  I have some who knock, some who don't.  The only thing I would presume is that they have many more deliveries to make in a limited amount of time.

Esteemed Contributor

I get an immediate text from UPS & FedX a package has been delivered,  With Amazon, text with picture and where it was delivered.  Young people prefer communication that way.  Maybe they have sleeping babies, dogs that bark (like mine).  I prefer drop go and text.   

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I never thought of doorbells going out of style-like bell bottoms or something. LOL

I think with all the doorbells with cameras you know who is coming up to the door and who is out there now so may that is why it is just assumed you know the situation without a doorbell ringing.

I should amend what I wrote. The host said traditional door bells have gone out of style now younger buyers want a Ring style bell with a camera and microphone. Technological progress? I think not. More needless gadgets.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I was watching HGTV and one of the program hosts (cannot recall which one) said doorbells have gotten out of style and are considered tacky by younger homeowners.  The younger generation certainly has strange tastes. I often shake my head watching these home remodeling shows. I assume most delivery people are under 40 so perhaps that is why they have an aversion to ringing the bell. In my area you are fortunate to even get a knock. They often dump packages and quickly run back to their vehicle presumably to text or listen to music on the device that they are tethered to.

Don't assume.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I never thought of doorbells going out of style-like bell bottoms or something. LOL

I think with all the doorbells with cameras you know who is coming up to the door and who is out there now so may that is why it is just assumed you know the situation without a doorbell ringing.

I should amend what I wrote. The host said traditional door bells have gone out of style now younger buyers want a Ring style bell with a camera and microphone. Technological progress? I think not. More needless gadgets.

@Reever   Certainly entitled to your opinion regarding techno progress and also entitled to not purchase and use any of it.

You do you. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

My uncle who just turned 70 has a Ring doorbell w/ cameras and recommend the rest of the family to get one for safety reasons.

Honored Contributor

We have a doorbell and our eighty year old neighbor always knocks instead. I think doorbells with cameras are a good idea. I don't know why but poster Reever doesn't seem to like young people. They are put down in every post. 

Honored Contributor

I should get a quieter doorbell as mine is so loud it makes me jump every time.  I prefer a knock. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I heard that too. Seems a doorbell as well as a ringing telephone stresses them out. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had people sometimes knock and sometimes use doorbell.

LOL at doorbells going out of style. I find it hard to believe that someone is stressed by phones or doorbells. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain