Esteemed Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT USPS SHIPPING CHARGES TO QVC

Since we are talking about shipping charges, here is what I have been wondering.  So QVC charges us $3.50 or $5.50 or $7.50, or more, for shipping and "handling."  Of course the "handling" part is supposed to pay for their QVC employee, so whatever.  Does QVC have a set rate with the USPS for say the $3.50 bags/boxes, no matter what they weigh and cost?  Same for the higher charges?  Would QVC pay the same amount to the postal service for postage on similar items, even given they weigh different amounts and are packaged differently?  Or do you think they are all weighed individually and QVC is charged accordingly?

And on the reverse for returns, same thing?  I know I have stuffed 4 clothing items in one bag for a return that I know would cost me more than $6.95 if I were to pay for my own postage.

Wondering if anyone has some insight on this.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT USPS SHIPPING CHARGES TO QVC

From what I understand, big companies like QVC have a contract with different shipping companies, like the USPS, for bulk shipping. Since they have so many packages going in and out every day, shipping companies offer them a special bulk rate. This is something I was told by a UPS employee many years ago. 

Honored Contributor

Its called bulk rate, at least back in the day, dont know if it has a new fancy updated name now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

@Puppy Lips, so if you are mailing back 4 items, did you use the pre pay postage of $6.50?  Someone told me once that they would charge $6.50 per item if I did that so I always pay for the postage if I'm sending back 2 or more items in same package.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@shopqvcless wrote:

@Puppy Lips, so if you are mailing back 4 items, did you use the pre pay postage of $6.50?  Someone told me once that they would charge $6.50 per item if I did that so I always pay for the postage if I'm sending back 2 or more items in same package.

Thanks!

@shopqvcless Yes, I used the QVC return label and that $6.95 was deducted from just one of the four items, in the refund.  Of course all had the $3.50 deducted.  I always watch though and do the math to make sure I was not cheated.  I have two pairs of pants to send back, if the second color ever gets to me.  They are going back together too.  I think I am done with QVC for awhile, for many reasons.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Regular Contributor

Oh geez I'm going to have to try that because I have always paid a lot more thean $6.95 when I've sent back multiple items. I've never understood why they charge another $3.50 for a return.  I'm starting to wean off things too......prices plus returns are just getting to high.  I noticed today that if you order for the first time you get free shipping until January!!!  How about doing that for their long time customers!!

Honored Contributor

@shopqvcless wrote:

Oh geez I'm going to have to try that because I have always paid a lot more thean $6.95 when I've sent back multiple items. I've never understood why they charge another $3.50 for a return.  I'm starting to wean off things too......prices plus returns are just getting to high.  I noticed today that if you order for the first time you get free shipping until January!!!  How about doing that for their long time customers!!

@shopqvcless 

I have seen the same posts as you...that $6.50 was deducted from EACH item in the one bag.

I guess it depends on if you are lucky getting someone nice in the Returns Dept!

They do Not charge you another $3.50 for a return.

You lose your ORIGINAL $3.50 shipping/handling fee AND the cost of the label.

Trusted Contributor

If you are sending back more than one item and they are not heavy, it might be cheaper to pay the return postage yourself than use the prepaid label.  I know from experience that those returns get there much faster than ones using the prepaid label. However, I think postage rates recently went up again, so as I said this would only be an advantage for light weight items.

Honored Contributor

One of the depts I ran at a huge corporation was the incoming and outgoing mail dept. Corporations have contracts with UPS, USPS, and FedEx. They paid about 25% of what you and I pay for USPS. They paid about 20% of what UPS typically charges.

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

If you are sending back more than one item and they are not heavy, it might be cheaper to pay the return postage yourself than use the prepaid label.  I know from experience that those returns get there much faster than ones using the prepaid label. However, I think postage rates recently went up again, so as I said this would only be an advantage for light weight items.

@Bookplate 

I returned a bra and paid $2 MORE than the return label fee.

Can't get much lighter than that!    LOL

However, it DID get there much faster...BUT now w/ EZ returns, I get my exchange or refund in a couple days so I don't care how long it takes to get back!