Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's hard to find in your area's stores?

Can't find the normal tp, Lysol, bleach or wipes. Also any canned goods are gone, soups, veggies etc. no cake mixes, flour, oatmeal.

Respected Contributor

The only thing I've found lacking in my area of southwest Michigan (it does absolutely no good to anyone to report what you can/can't find if you don't disclose the general area) are paper products, particularly toilet paper and some cleaning products, such as wipes and bleach. 

I don't bother with the Meijer or WalMart madness. I shop smaller, local chains. Some items are quantity limited but I've not had any difficulty getting the things that I've been looking for. My biggest problem is the nosy neighbor who threatened (thru another neighbor because she knows better than to say it right to me) to turn me in for "non-essential shopping" because on my last shopping trip I picked up a bunch of daffodils from the grocery store. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional I'm curious.  You mean restrictions on the farming process?  What could anyone possibly have against eggs except the cholesterol?

Respected Contributor

I have not been in any stores for at least a month so I cannot comment on the stores inventories in my area.  I have just placed online orders for curbside pick up at Walmart.  The one item I cannot get is Smart Balance spread.  I may just make a run inside another store to see if it may be there in the case as I am out of it.  I do have some real butter, but I would love to get a tub of Smart Balance.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I can't get any toilet paper or paper towels.  Certainly no lysol wipes. 

One thing I can't find are dried beans in a bag.  I like to make pinto bean soup and no beans to be found.  Today I came across a bag by a strange brand - pinto beans - got them home and realized the bag said pinto beans FLAVORED W/ARTIFICIAL HAM!!  Yuck.  Artificial ham?  Never heard of such a thing.  Maybe someone else will enjoy them, but thats a no from me and disappointed I can't make my delicious pinto bean soup.

Is it worth life and limb going from store to store in search of these items?  I am not that desperate or bored just yet.

I do wish they would set a 2 per customer limit on some things so more people could get what they went to the store for.

Could you wash those beans well and get rid of that coating.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ms traditional I'm curious.  You mean restrictions on the farming process?  What could anyone possibly have against eggs except the cholesterol?

caging regulations @Laura14  

Frequent Contributor

Here in Los Angeles it is hard to find eggs, flour, yeast, pasta, TP, sanitizer or wipes.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to get a bag of King Arthur flour as they were putting it out, wish I had bought 2. Since then nothing - I love to bake and cannot find flour. I was able to order whole wheat and rye flours from Whole Foods but no bread or AP flour. Butter, cheese, meat, milk etc has not been an issue of late. I was able to get into the grocery store early yesterday and found most everything except eggs, flour, yeast or pasta. They say not to go out more than once a week which is fine but you cannot always get everything. But, we can also make do with what we do have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

I have not been in any stores for at least a month so I cannot comment on the stores inventories in my area.  I have just placed online orders for curbside pick up at Walmart.  The one item I cannot get is Smart Balance spread.  I may just make a run inside another store to see if it may be there in the case as I am out of it.  I do have some real butter, but I would love to get a tub of Smart Balance.  

@4kitties  Me too!  They had a ginormous one for about $7 but I passed since I have a full regular tub left and don't eat it too frequently.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 

I am ready to just splurge and buy one, even at a higher price!🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@jonbon @Watch Costco.com for flour and rice.I just got some a couple of days ago.Washington state.

we can't get any sanitizing products,masks gloves,frozen foods scarce,yeast for baking,chocolate.