Honored Contributor

Re: What's hard to find in your area's stores?

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I can't get any toilet paper or paper towels.  Certainly no lysol wipes. 

One thing I can't find are dried beans in a bag.  I like to make pinto bean soup and no beans to be found.  Today I came across a bag by a strange brand - pinto beans - got them home and realized the bag said pinto beans FLAVORED W/ARTIFICIAL HAM!!  Yuck.  Artificial ham?  Never heard of such a thing.  Maybe someone else will enjoy them, but thats a no from me and disappointed I can't make my delicious pinto bean soup.

Is it worth life and limb going from store to store in search of these items?  I am not that desperate or bored just yet.

I do wish they would set a 2 per customer limit on some things so more people could get what they went to the store for.

@jellyBEAN The ham flavoring probably comes in a little packet and you don't have to use it.  If you do, it's mostly salt and a little smoke flavor and won't be that bad.  Otherwise throw the packet away and use chicken broth, water, or whatever else you want. 

Honored Contributor

Eggs and rice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many of the nicer restaurants in our area are selling meal kits and groceries. They need to fit rid of the perishables they have or they must be tossed. It is curbside pickup...I bought butter for $3 lb as well as cream and fresh herbs...some places also sell steaks and  boxed lunches also. They also include 2-4 rolls of tp with your order! Check the FB sites of restaurants in your area.

Esteemed Contributor

Same products as Stuyvesant mentioned. Fortunately I purchased Costco baby wipes - big box - in February, which I use for everything. Hand soap, Kleenexes (ah-choo season) and T-paper will be needed soon. CVS and Walgreen are nice options over busy grocery stores - run in and run out. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

NO hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, period. Toilet paper and paper towels disappear as soon as the shelves are stocked, I me per customer. Rice, pasta for food pl u s bread are hard to find. I live in Kansas. 

Honored Contributor

Vitamins, cold and allergy medication, laxatives...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I've seen eggs a lot on the board but my store has been stocked each time.  I guess Georgia is cornering the market or it helps to have a Senator and former governor named Perdue.

My frozen food section was pretty desolate on Monday.  I think people are over the home cooking and looking for the quicker options.  

Honored Contributor

No paper towels, no toilet paper, no sanitizer, general low stock of basic things, bread, milk, butter, cheese, toothpaste, just about anything basic.  It's like a 3rd world out here.  You have to scrounge around, barter, find a black market....

Trusted Contributor

My husband went to the grocery store last Saturday and still no luck finding a ham for Easter. Previously, we made sure we were stocked on up on everything else, but forgot about Easter. I do have potatoes, frozen vegetables, and a couple of ham steaks in the freezer, so at least we have that. 

As usual, there were No paper products, frozen vegetables, little to no pet food, sanitizer, pasta, canned fruit, iced tea bags, coffee (beverages as a whole.) As he quickly perused the isles, he noticed that most of what we normally purchase, and then some, were unavailable. He was able to get deli lunch meat, they had fresh baked rolls, and fresh produce.

Thankfully, we stocked up starting in January when Everything was bountiful, so we're good as far as essentials, including pet food and litter. But, we Always have a supply of most-used items on hand as a norm. Very rarely, if ever, have we run out of those things. That's just the way we shop and maintain Our household; everyone is different. Read too many sad cases of people lined up in PetSmart, and others, from the back of the store and out the door trying to purchase pet food, etc. We're doing our best in the "stay at home" request.

This was one store and one day. Naturally, this isn't the case across the country, but just what we experienced.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

here in Cali we have many restrictions on eggs so getting them is the big challenge here in L A -  i'm not sure if it's people overbuying or lack of supplyor what.  one trip i had to go to 4 different spots.  and of course they are wayyyyyyy expensive compared to everywhere else in the universe due to regulations, not the virus.