Respected Contributor

Re: Too much stuff!

[ Edited ]

I am currently cleaning up for someone that has a lot of stuff and it is a nightmare. I worked so hard and after if finished it didn’t look like I did much because of the amount of things they own. I am exhausted and frustrated. They have some beautiful things but it is just too much!😳😔  Then they say they want to entertain. I was like where?that is good if the people are Barbie and Ken size. 😀

Esteemed Contributor

Don't wait for later to start paring down your stuff Do it now-start today! 

None of us is getting any younger. Each passing day may be a little harder to downsize.

You will feel so much less burdened with having stuff you no longer use- or maybe never used or wore out of your home and out from under.

Keep what you love and use. Do not keep the stuff that is for "someday" 

It can't just be good- it must be good for you, right now or within the next year (seasonal items only)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva 

I've scheduled a pickup for Green Drop, the charity organization I mentioned.  

It is July 10!  I'm committed to having at least 20 boxes of "stuff" for them to take.  

Clothes, dishes, etc.  

While I have been purging/donating for a while, I've resolved to get serious and do as much as I can in the next few weeks.

It can be done.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan 

You are kind to help, but if they won't "let go" of things, there is only so much you can do.

Don't make yourself sick over it!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Pqfan 

You are kind to help, but if they won't "let go" of things, there is only so much you can do.

Don't make yourself sick over it!

@Witchy Woman  Thank you so much that made me feel better. ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I actually just came up from my basement cleaning up and

preparing for a yard sale this summer. With kids still in the 

house I am always tidying up.

My daughter doesn't care about keeping too much stuff. She

will easily toss stuff of no value to her. My son is the complete

opposite, wants to save everything. Books, toys, trains, cars,

so many sentimental things, I just can't keep it all.

It is tough. Plus my closet is always in need of arranging. I 

keep winter clothes on one side and summer on the other.

I recently started separating t-shirts, dressy tops, tank tops,

etc. Makes things slightly easier to find. I used to love to shop

but know I have enough of everything.

Trusted Contributor

I was at a party this weekend, and the host showed me that he can barely squeeze their 1 car into the 3 car garage.  He said that every inch of the basement and attic are loaded with stuff.  His plan is to let his kids clean it all out when they pass away.  I've had to do that for my MIL, and the resentment is incredible.

I'm working on purging my stuff all of the time.  It can be overwhelming, but I keep working at it slowly.  UGH!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  I totally understand how you feel.  I'm in the same boat.  I donated a lot of place mats, tablecloths, etc. last year.  I have my wedding China that I probably used 6 times through the years.  I have a Christmas (holly) set I use once a year now.  As a widow I don't entertain and don't use a lot of what I have.  When my kids visit, it's a treat to go out to eat since I don't go that often.  Last year I donated a lot of clothing that was too large and also many pairs of shoes that either were backless or had a heel too high for me at my age.  Some were never worn.  As far as kitchen items, I love all of them, but find I'm not using a lot of items even though I cook for myself every day.  I just don't entertain.  I don't need a lot of larger casseroles, but I keep them in case I'm invited somewhere and want to take a large amount of food.    Sure is hard to decide to keep or not to keep.  I even lose sleep over it.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116 

Your friend has a foolish and selfish attitude....to let someone else do it.

Promise you that most of the stuff will go in the trash!

I have no children, so I'd rather get going on this now and have it off my shoulders!

I've been trying for years, but 30 years of accumulating is overwhelming!

Respected Contributor

Ah yes, it is such a wonderful feeling of lightness when I can purge boxes of long forgotten items!  I just keep reminding myself that the more I can deal with today, the less my children will have to deal with, and that keeps me going!  I recently helped a disabled woman clear out a bunch of Christmas decor and VHS tapes she had been hanging on to for way too long.  The look on her face when I carried all that stuff out was worth its weight in gold, and I knew just how she felt.  I even did a little dance in the empty space left behind!