Esteemed Contributor

Despite my constant and somewhat ruthless efforts to rid myself of things, there is always more to be done.

Recently noted in my china cabinets are holiday dishes, both Lenox and Walmart brands.  They've got to go.

There was a time I entertained large groups and that is over.  My two nieces have no interest in this stuff.  I cannot be bothered to "sell" it.  No one wants these things.

The dishes have been unused for over 5 years.  I have lots of very large tablecloths that likely never will be used again.  Placemats, too.  Serving pieces for large groups.  I cook for just two!

I'm just reminding myself to redouble my efforts to streamline.  Honestly, what we accumulate is just overwhelming (to me).  It makes my unhappy and uneasy to have things just stored away knowing I'll not use them again.

Rather than bringing me any comfort, I find it is slightly depressing to see what was and is no more.

Talked to my sis and she is the same.  Told me she'd recently bought a smokeless grill from QVC and realized she was never going to use it.  She has sets of dishes unboxed, unused.  Lots of Temptations sets.  She lives alone!

I told her to STOP watching QVC so she would stop buying.  It worked for me.

Off to assemble some boxes for packing!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any unboxed or unused things - but gave away 2 KitchenAid food processors last week to younger gals at my dentist office.  (plus Vitamix which I'll never use again - the young lady so so thrilled to receive and for $50)  Others went free.

Smoothies upset my stomach & don't make soup ever.

Respected Contributor

Just think of what great satisfaction you’ll feel as you rid yourself of these things.

Donate, donate, donate. When necessary I just dump things in 🗑.

It is definitely a process. One day at a time.

Honored Contributor

I completely understand!  I have a huge set of Old Country Roses dishes and serviing pieces that need to go but I love the pattern so much.  I only use them if my DD and her husband come for the holidays, otherwise they sit.  When I was married and all the kids - his and mine - and family came for the holidays it made sense to have that many dishes.  But that is no more.   Also was looking for something in my kitchen cabinets the other day and realized "what is all this stuff?"  I should go through that too.

Like you, I don't have the patience or desire to sell it so will just donate it.  When I think of all the money I spent......Ugh...... 

You've inspired me to get going and pare down!

Honored Contributor

After going through all of my mother's excessive collections of things - she wasn't a hoarder, but overbought and loved having options and just too many things in general - that cured me of overbuying and buying things unneessarily. 

If I need something, I buy it.  If I find I'm not using it or don't love it anymore, I get rid of it.  I refuse to be burdened by excessive items.  And it is a burden.

My neighbor down the street died suddenly.  Her daughter had an estate sale to get rid of the rest of the things nobody in the family wanted.  It was kind of sad to know that all of those expensive items were being sold for hardly anything.  Nobody wants half of those things and nobody wants to store them either. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Too much stuff!

[ Edited ]

Witchy Woman,

I am presently bogged down with the same sort of once "inheritable" items, and they have nowhere to go.  The weight of this excess is, quite frankly, depressing.  It is a reminder, as you so accurately noted, of "what is no more."   That in addition to a poke at excessive consumerism on my part.

My mother gave me her large assortment of gorgeous linen tablecloths.  When will I ever again use them or my Royal Doulton china (whose pattern, chosen for my first marriage in my early 20s, no longer satisfies me)?  Most likely never.   (I received the tablecloths after she passed, which was 10 months after my husband passed.  I have not entertained since then, and so those tablecloths have just sat quietly, folded up pristinely in my buffet.) 

I also have over 30 pieces of Christmas tableware.

This gluttony on my part has spilled over into my clothes closet.  Even if I were blessed to live another decade, I could not wear out all the clothing I own.  And don't even mention my jewelry!  My spirit has been weighted down with what I've bought in excess.

Respected Contributor

I  always tell my sister that I hope I kick the bucket first because I don't want to have to go thru all her stuff. She hits the garage sales, picks up stuff sitting at the curb, buys new, etc. I tell her to shop in my basement because I have stuff sitting there for 20 years. I was motivated a couple of years ago to start heaving, etc. but I have COPD and going up and down steps is difficult. Anyhow, much luck in getting rid of "stuff". We're all guilty of hanging on to things and buying things we don't need but just really wanted. I'm trying to stick to the "do I need it, or do I just want it" mentality. Doesn't always work.

Esteemed Contributor

You can't focus on the $ spent. That was then, this is now. 

I encourage everyone to join us on the very long running thread What Have You Purged today? Lots of support for those of us who want to live smaller and lighter.

Even 15 minutes a day, several days a week is a good way to start.

Last year I downsized for the second time, this time the kids are grown and out of the house. I still entertain smaller groups- much less frequently and a lot less formally.

It was hard work and had to be done in a matter of months, but the resulting change in lifestyle was well worth the effort.

Also, for encouragement I suggest reading the book, It's All Too Much! by Peter Walsh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Too much stuff!

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

We are all in the same boat.  We bought too much.  Now, it is time to unburden our hearts.  You cannot lament what was spent....it's done.  Just resolve to change.

As I told my sis this morning, I'm happiest if I have a plan.

Box and donate your unused items.  No matter their sentimental value, if you are not using them, the person cleaning out your home when you are gone is going to dump them.

At least while you are here, you have control over where they go.

A friend told me about a group called Green Drop that will take items and donates them to other groups, including The Purple Heart.  They have a Website and you can read about them.

They have a concierge service that will help with household cleanouts.  Anyway, my point is, there are MANY groups that will take things.  You can drop off or they will pick up.

I tried to get Amvets out to where I live, and they would not pick up -- guess they think I'm too far out.

But, there are other's who will.  I frequent the drive through drop off at a local Salvation Army.  Also, I have a nice Thrift Store in my immediate area.

As I said on another thread, once it is OUT of my house, I don't care if they sell it or give it away.

The goal is to move it out.  

Honored Contributor
My place is small. I never been able to overpurchase very much. I already downsized my holiday decorations. I have a few kitchen things that could go.