Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva 

Yes, I have followed your thread off and on.  Thanks for reminding me.

Mostly, I just posted as a big reminder to ME to get going again.

I sew blankets for Project Linus and have a large stash of fleece for sewing.  While it all gets used, there is a constant temptation to keep buying that fleece for MORE blankets.

I've put myself on restriction for the rest of the year until my fleece stash is ALL gone.

In reviewing my inventory, I was reminded that I still need to keep purging my other things.

I'm 68, so hopefully, some good years left, but I do have a fear of someone having to come in and clean out my junk!  I'd rather be the one to do it.

Hence, the reminder to get going!

Honored Contributor

I can relate to this post and to what the posters are saying.  I too am overwhelmed with items I do not want any more.  I donate to the Vets, it is convenient for me to leave a bag or bags on my front stoop and they come for it on the day I choose.  

However, my problem isn't with donating as much as it is with getting rid of antiques and items which I cannot just throw in the trash.  My nieces either do not want anything or don't have room.  I have crocheted bedspreads made by my grandmothers on both sides, antique china, lamps, art work.  I am thinking about contacting a dealer to see if I can sell some of it.  I know the problem with that is you are never going to get the money they are worth.  A dealer wants a profit and that is that.  I also thought of an auction but would have to find a reputable one.

It is an overwhelming task but not an impossible one.  I will continue to donate and also look into dealers and auctions.  I do know one thing is true, when I am able to get rid of things I do feel better!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@queendiva 

Yes, I have followed your thread off and on.  Thanks for reminding me.

Mostly, I just posted as a big reminder to ME to get going again.

I sew blankets for Project Linus and have a large stash of fleece for sewing.  While it all gets used, there is a constant temptation to keep buying that fleece for MORE blankets.

I've put myself on restriction for the rest of the year until my fleece stash is ALL gone.

In reviewing my inventory, I was reminded that I still need to keep purging my other things.

I'm 68, so hopefully, some good years left, but I do have a fear of someone having to come in and clean out my junk!  I'd rather be the one to do it.

Hence, the reminder to get going!

knitters call it stash busting!, but it's the process not the product 

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I too am guilty of all of the above!  I need to start today/GET GOING

Honored Contributor

I'm sure many of us can relate to that.  I know I can.  I have a good handle on it now,  when we sold our big house and downsized; it was the most depressing thing because as we cleaned out and threw out, I began to see how out of control my shopping channel habit was.  So many things that I bought and used one or twice or for a season and then stashed them in the attic, the basement, a spare bedroom, the garage....and then I'd buy almost the same thing all over again.  Don't even ask about Tupperware!  Tons of the stuff.  I'd go to the parties to socialize and I'd have to "buy something" and then I'd the stash the thing I didn't really want or need in a closet.  It was partly that I watched HSN and QVC for entertainment and partly because hubby and worked hard and had successful careers and I could afford whatever I bought.  My thinking was, if it isn't a financial problem, it isn't a problem.  So moving was godsend.  After than I made a consious effort not to let it happen again and stopped watching shopping channels just to be watching them.  I can't buy what I don't see.  Now it's clothes and I have to be honest, jewelry.  I am a work in progress.  I have to focus and do better when it comes to buying clothes/shoes/bags/jewelry.  I did a major closet overhaul a month ago and I found so many things with tags still attached.  So many things that were duplicates of things I already owned.  The nice orderly closets are help and my bff suggested that I keep my closet door open so that I can see what I have hanging in there.  I only allow myself to watch a couple hours of ShopLC on the weekends and that has indeed worked when it comes to jewelry.  I haven't bought any jewelry in several weeks.  I can't buy what I don't see.  

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman,  Thank you!   I have been looking around my house this past few weeks and getting more and more depressed with all this " lavish stuff ",  that I will never use again,  everywhere and wondering how I am never going to get rid of it !   I am so sick of looking at it.  For sure my girls won't want it, it's not their style.  All the money wasted over the years on Lenox, Wateford, sterling. All things that have to be hand washed and nobody wants anymore, encluding me, LOL !  The chore of going through it is overwhelming but I'm going to do it.  You have inspired me !!!  I can't wait to be free !!

Honored Contributor

Use your nice things everday. I don't save my bone china for  best. We use it everyday..

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry : agreed! We are worth the good stuff! It's for our use, not solely for our guests.

If you have too many place settings, see if Replacements will buy it, or sell on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, or donate.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Just donate to goodwill or the like... and take a tax write off.... then think about some happy person buying your lovely things and enjoying them!  Rather than they sitting there not being used or enjoyed they are loved again. That is the way to give things away without feeling so much loss. 

I found many wonderful treasures at good will over the years that have given be so much joy!  I often times thank that person who themselves loved the items at one time   gave them up  and now I treasure them... someday I will also have to donate them and hope someone finds them special as well and finds joy in them.

Esteemed Contributor

I took three bags of clothes to Good Will this morning.  Outside by the drop off door, there was tons of stuff that was just recently donated.  Not literally "tons" but a lot of stuff there.  Then inside, the sorting room was just filled with piles of things to sort through.  They can not possibly have room to sell all that.  Where ever the left overs go, I hope it is useful.

I too have much to get rid of, and know that none of my three boys will want it.  I really don't want to leave it up to them after we are gone, but I can not part with very much just yet.  Hopefully we have many more years before we have to think about that.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead