Valued Contributor

Re: Random Posts About Queen Elizabeth

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

The outpouring of respect for her is such a wonderful thing to see. I can't help but notice the lack of protestors, huge banners, and rowdy crowds that we see here every time there is a big event of any kind. It reminds me how far we have devolved as a country...respect and how to show it seems to be a thing of the past in the US.it makes me sad for our country, but am so happy to see it displayed there for this wonderful lady.  

I am not so sure this is true.....A woman was arrested in Scotland for holding up a sign.....a guy pulled up beside The King and yelled something disrespectful and was arrested.....a shop owners had has windows broken.....sounds like US but they keep it quiet!

Trusted Contributor

When did we have protests at a state funeral?

I'm trying to think of the last time we had a state funeral.....

Honored Contributor

Who gets a state funeral uk?

Image result for state funerals
In the United Kingdom, state funerals are usually reserved for monarchs. The last such funeral was held in 1952 for King George VI, while the late Queen Elizabeth II will be the subject of the next state funeral, concluding on 19 September 2022.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last state funeral was for Winston Churchill in 1965.  This was also stated by the BBC over the weekend on their live broadcast.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/winston-churchill-state-funeral-queen-b2164884.html

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/last-state-funeral-uk-24993981

1_268707914.jpg

Honored Contributor

On February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were in Kenya. Elizabeth was on a ladder in a tree watching rhinos and elephants come to the watering hole.

Suddenly an eagle flew over her head. A witness later on remarked how close it was.

Later that day Prince Philip had to tell her that her beloved father had died in his sleep and she was the Queen. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky2 wrote:

@Trailrun23 wrote:

The outpouring of respect for her is such a wonderful thing to see. I can't help but notice the lack ofprotestorss, huge banners, and rowdy crowds that we see here every time there is a big event of any kind. It reminds me how far we have devolved as a country...respect and how to show it seems to be a thing of the past in the US.it makes me sad for our country, but am so happy to see it displayed there for this wonderful lady.  

I am not so sure this is true.....A woman was arrested in Scotland for holding up a sign.....a guy pulled up beside The King and yelled something disrespectful and was arrested.....a shop owners had has windows broken.....sounds like US but they keep it quiet!

@Danky2  - True, there have been a few isolated incidents, but not the huge protests that I suspect @Trailrun23 was talking about.

And in those isolated incidents the protestors were not arrested.  They were detained, but released.

And, quite frankly, had I been in the crowd, when the young jerk started yelling at Andrew (not King Charles), I'd have probably shut him up myself.  There might be a time and place to voice his opinion of Andrew, but it was not while Andrew and his siblings were following the coffin of their mother, in a somber procession.

Honored Contributor

She was Queen to the people yet she could turn it around and be mother to her children and Grandmother and she handled it with grace.  I personally will miss her.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

I believe Ruth Bader Ginsburg and President Bush ?  Not sure though.....

Trusted Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

I believe Ruth Bader Ginsburg and President Bush ?  Not sure though.....

I forgot about President Bush. Yikes. I had John McCain stuck in my head but that had to be 5 years ago already!

Thank you 😎

Honored Contributor

April 1965 - Elizabeth was about to turn 39

F037F058-FB19-4E3F-9344-82394AAAB0D5.jpeg