Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I would really hate to believe that some are so consumed with fear that they are good with the governement spending trillions of dollars as many times as they desire to print it.

@germanshepherdlove, well, I think that this angle can easily veer into political territory. All I can say is that financial fallout from this pandemic has only just begun. I firmly believe that it will rival or more likely surpass anything this country has ever seen.

There is no way out but a combination of infusions of money and maybe work programs along the line of the Great Depresson. Oh, there is another way out: just leave everyone and every institution in agonizing misery.

This cannot be dismissed by labeling it as "fear."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I understand interpretation differences, to me it was pretty clear what was meant by the OP's thread. Seem it is similar to a better known saying:

"All things start with the 1st step"!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, whether it's the OP's "Opening America" subject line or yours, it still refers to the virus, contrary to the OP's response.

Hence, my post that belief doesn't affect a virus.

@suzyQ3 How about the belief that America can re-open safely? Do you agree with that?  Do you believe it can?

Oh, indeed, @esmerelda

And your next question? :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

“We still haven’t gotten our act together,” said Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University. “I think it’s inevitable that we’re going to have a second, if not a third, wave” because of the nation’s “erratic and disorganized policies.”

“The biggest single failure was the lack of testing in this country,” agreed Eric Toner, senior scholar with Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Health Security. “That influenced every single other thing that has gone wrong… And we still have problems in testing.”

Until the disease can be monitored and controlled, Toner warned, “We need to be really careful about dialing back social distancing. It has been amazingly successful – more effective than I thought it would be.”

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@HB glamma wrote:
I do believe in the power of positive thinking
A positive and vibrant human spirit can do awesome things. I feel we’ve had enough doom & gloom thrown at as for over 2 months

From what I have gleaned, this virus was invading us as far back as December and while we were merrily skipping along without this knowledge, it took a foothold in our society.  Back in January DH and I had our regularly scheduled doctors appointments and about 10 days later we found ourselves simultaneously sick as dogs for two weeks.  Our doctors may have already known something was on the horizon, but we weren't alerted to it.  If we did have it, I can only hope we developed antibodies, but with no testing at the time and scant testing to this day, we have no way of knowing.

Positive thinking can go a long way in living one's life but when a mindless virus invades (which has no mind) and one's lungs fail, what is the answer?

@RoughDraft  If you truly believe that your doctors may have known and did not “alert you” I hope you are looking for new doctors.  Otherwise I figure you’re just talking.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opening America

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I would really hate to believe that some are so consumed with fear that they are good with the governement spending trillions of dollars as many times as they desire to print it.

@germanshepherdlove, well, I think that this angle can easily veer into political territory. All I can say is that financial fallout from this pandemic has only just begun. I firmly believe that it will rival or more likely surpass anything this country has ever seen.

There is no way out but a combination of infusions of money and maybe work programs along the line of the Great Depresson. Oh, there is another way out: just leave everyone and every institution in agonizing misery.

Or people can safely go back to work and the economy can recover.

eta.....What do you mean by “financial fallout “? 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has yet to be seen that we can safely return to work and that the economy will recover.

And neither will be affected by "belief" or  "positive thinking".

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@HB glamma wrote:
A positive and vibrant human spirit can do awesome things. I feel we’ve had enough doom & gloom thrown at as for over 2 months

From what I have gleaned, this virus was invading us as far back as December and while we were merrily skipping along without this knowledge, it took a foothold in our society.  Back in January DH and I had our regularly scheduled doctors appointments and about 10 days later we found ourselves simultaneously sick as dogs for two weeks.  Our doctors may have already known something was on the horizon, but we weren't alerted to it.  If we did have it, I can only hope we developed antibodies, but with no testing at the time and scant testing to this day, we have no way of knowing.

Positive thinking can go a long way in living one's life but when a mindless virus invades (which has no mind) and one's lungs fail, what is the answer?

@RoughDraft  If you truly believe that your doctors may have known and did not “alert you” I hope you are looking for new doctors.  Otherwise I figure you’re just talking.

@esmerelda It's a matter of "what and how much" they may have known.  I believe they, like a lot of the medical community may have suffered a similar fate as we common folk.  Info was certainly not flowing freely in January for any of us.  I didn't imply they were withholding vital information.

As for me "just talking", I don't have to justify my choice of physicians to you or anyone else on this board.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Or people can safely go back to work and the economy can recover.

eta.....What do you mean by “financial fallout “? 

@esmerelda, assuming this is for me.

Even if everybody were to go back to work tomorrow and even if there were no adverse consequences to doing so, the economy is still taking and going to take a tremendous hit that will need to addressed.

I would bet that any experts in this field and anyone who understands what economic damage has already been done (except perhaps those with a vested interest in rosy outlooks) would agree.

Of course at some point we will recover. I think history proves that. The time it takes and the depth of the damage is variable and depends upon wise and dedicated minds to navigate.

What do you mean by what do I mean by "financial fallout"? I don't do word games.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@HB glamma wrote:

@esmerelda It's a matter of "what and how much" they may have known.  I believe they, like a lot of the medical community may have suffered a similar fate as we common folk.  Info was certainly not flowing freely in January for any of us.  I didn't imply they were withholding vital information.

As for me "just talking", I don't have to justify my choice of physicians to you or anyone else on this board.  

@RoughDraft Yes, of course you are right and I apologize for my earlier comment. During the two weeks you were sick, did you call your doctor and tell him about it? I don’t think I, personally would be sick for two weeks without talking to my doctor about it.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  I mean what is your definition of “financial fallout” as you have used the term here?

Regarding recovery… Yes it may be slow but it will occur sooner If people go back to work, if businesses re-open, while everyone still is keeping a safe physical distance and washing their hands and wearing face masks than if we all remain sitting at home while money is printed and/or borrowed on our behalf. 

eta...Have we stopped worrying about the incredible debt we will be leaving to our grandchildren?

Keepin' it real.