Trusted Contributor

I believe a large part of the damage here is psychological. No idea how people are going to recover from it. There are people who think it's realistic to say that they'll wait to go out until there's a vaccine. 

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3  I mean what is your definition of “financial fallout” as you have used the term here?

Regarding recovery… Yes it may be slow but it will occur sooner If people go back to work, if businesses re-open, while everyone still is keeping a safe physical distance and washing their hands and wearing face masks than if we all remain sitting at home while money is printed and/or borrowed on our behalf. 

eta...Have we stopped worrying about the incredible debt we will be leaving to our grandchildren?

@esmerelda    Debt is right.  No kidding, it is scary.  Payouts and checks should have been better thought out.  I do not think financial recovery will be in the near future myself.  We are too indebted to that BIG country on the map. We have so many loans and factories abroad.   They own so much here, as do other countries.  We all all tied together.  But, I am optimistic  it is just going to be grueling for most for awhile.  I almost see my generation and my daughters paving the way for the grands and great grands. We will be talking about this period in history like my Mom and did about the Great Depression, and WWII

Honored Contributor

I believe I can, but I'm not halfway there yet. There's this refrigerated body truck in my way. Maybe after all the extra dying stops I'll be more interested. We'll see.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I am wondering what the thinking is behind states reopening on a Friday?  In one state I heard about it was at 5 PM on Friday. 

I picture people at their door, checking their watch/phone and going out right at 5 PM to have dinner. 

I would expect it to be in the morning, at the beginning of the week (Sunday or Monday). 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

A few points from my own perspective:

"Big Box" stores have to remain open.  People depend upon them for food and house supplies.  Closing them down would leave people without food and necessities.

Small businesses cannot supply enough food/supplies.  How many people shop small businesses for food etc. each week?? 

If Wal-Mart/Target/etc. shut down, where would people buy food and other necessities?

It is a matter of supply. 

As far as the wishing this will go away, it is not about people wishing the virus away.  It is about keeping an upbeat outlook that this too shall pass.

Small businesses are hurting and that is truly sad.  Restaurants still offer delivery and/or curbside pick up.  Sad to say, little businesses that offer non-essential inventory are not going to be on people's list to shop.  It's a sad fact.

Right now people are scrambling for food, the ever elusive TP, sanitation supplies, etc. 

Priorites dictate which businesses can open.

I do not see anyone saying wishing will make it so.

It is important to remember that mental health is a serious problem with this pandemic.  There is nothing wrong with keeping the faith, so to speak, that this will die down and we can return to our lives as we knew them before the pandemic.

I seriously doubt people are wishing this away; instead I believe people are hoping for the best while the worst is still happening.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Opening America

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3  I mean what is your definition of “financial fallout” as you have used the term here?

Regarding recovery… Yes it may be slow but it will occur sooner If people go back to work, if businesses re-open, while everyone still is keeping a safe physical distance and washing their hands and wearing face masks than if we all remain sitting at home while money is printed and/or borrowed on our behalf. 

eta...Have we stopped worrying about the incredible debt we will be leaving to our grandchildren?

@esmerelda    Debt is right.  No kidding, it is scary.  Payouts and checks should have been better thought out.  I do not think financial recovery will be in the near future myself.  We are too indebted to that BIG country on the map. We have so many loans and factories abroad.   They own so much here, as do other countries.  We all all tied together.  But, I am optimistic  it is just going to be grueling for most for awhile.  I almost see my generation and my daughters paving the way for the grands and great grands. We will be talking about this period in history like my Mom and did about the Great Depression, and WWII

@shoekitty, my comments above about it being necessary to increase funding is based on only one thing: It's the only way.

Barring some "magical" event, what the majority of economists state, as well as the Fed Chair last night, this is NOT the time to wring our hands about debt. There will come that time, of course. But seriously, try to imagine the financial situation the federal government and states are facing.

Some talk here only about getting businesses up and running. Well, guess what? That's going to take months or longer for many of them. This financial devastation is not going anywhere but up.

When (not if) we are finished with this, meaning the virus is no longer wreaking havoc for one reason or another, then we put on the restraints. You'd have to be a died-in-wool believer in "survival of the fittest" to think otherwise.

And none of this will be pretty. We're all going to pay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am not sure I understand this push now to prioritize "mental health", ostensibly by "opening up".   Some here (and elsewhere) maintain that there will be as many deaths related to mental health (or more!) as there are deaths from COVID-19.

We have lost 30,000 people a month to this virus.  Are there stats that anyone has that would indicate that deaths from mental health disorders will also rise (or have already risen) from slowly and carefully re-opening business in this country (which is what I think we are trying to do - I think some are going too quickly, but that's not the point of my post)?

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

In my area the churches are opening up end of month

Mid June the others.

@SharkE 

Are the liquor stores open now?

I wouldn't know, my friend, I'm Baptist

hckynut(john)

I am Baptist and in part of Texas they never closed.  Stopped by there a couple of weeks ago myself.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I am not sure I understand this push now to prioritize "mental health", ostensibly by "opening up".   Some here (and elsewhere) maintain that there will be as many deaths related to mental health (or more!) as there are deaths from COVID-19.

We have lost 30,000 people a month to this virus.  Are there stats that anyone has that would indicate that deaths from mental health disorders will also rise (or have already risen) from slowly and carefully re-opening business in this country (which is what I think we are trying to do - I think some are going too quickly, but that's not the point of my post)?

@QueenDanceALot   I'm not sure who is pushing to prioritizing mental health in terms of opening up.

We have serious mental health issues in this country that needed attention long before the pandemic.

With persons not receiving on-going care, with persons developing depression, with abuse not being addressed enough as it is-e.g. where are the children now who were once under the care of protective services??

Nobody can determine whether a suicide is the result of depression from the pandemic; but a suicide doesn't need a reason to be recognized as a serious issue.

We cannot and we should not dismiss any mental health death regardless of cause.

COVID-19 has opened up a renewed focus on not just physical health but also on mental health and spiritual health.  We are made up of all of this.  A focus on one does not diminish the seriousness of the others.

You are looking for stats to defend your pov and that is a futile request.

It is very easy to gather stats regarding physical deaths; these deaths from COVID-19 are new and ongoing.

Deaths from mental health issues happened long before COVID-19 and will continue long after.

I have not seen anything here or elsewhere being maintained that there will be as many mental health deaths as there will be from COVID-19.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot   I'm not sure who is pushing to prioritizing mental health in terms of opening up.

We have serious mental health issues in this country that needed attention long before the pandemic.

With persons not receiving on-going care, with persons developing depression, with abuse not being addressed enough as it is-e.g. where are the children now who were once under the care of protective services??

Nobody can determine whether a suicide is the result of depression from the pandemic; but a suicide doesn't need a reason to be recognized as a serious issue.

We cannot and we should not dismiss any mental health death regardless of cause.

COVID-19 has opened up a renewed focus on not just physical health but also on mental health and spiritual health.  We are made up of all of this.  A focus on one does not diminish the seriousness of the others.

You are looking for stats to defend your pov and that is a futile request.

It is very easy to gather stats regarding physical deaths; these deaths from COVID-19 are new and ongoing.

Deaths from mental health issues happened long before COVID-19 and will continue long after.

I have not seen anything here or elsewhere being maintained that there will be as many mental health deaths as there will be from COVID-19.

@Cakers3 

I am not responsible for what you have seen or not seen here or elsewhere.

I was just relaying what I have seen here and elsewhere.  I am completely aware that mental health issues have been a serious issue since before COVID-19.  Simply seeing it brought up now in a "what about" way.  And yes, some saying that more people are at risk from mental health issues now than are at risk with COVID-19.

So, all I can say to you is, we've apparently not read the same things.