Esteemed Contributor

Another New Toilet Paper

[ Edited ]

Went to Stop & Shop earlier and now in addition to the "never saw it before last week" Kleenex brand from Mexico I see 12 packs of Suave. So I'm thinking the hair care people have retooled temporarily to help with the shortage. I should have known better. Get home and take a closer look. This one is from Trinidad/Tobago. Manufactured for Trinidad Tissues Limited. Has lots of info in both English and 2 other Languages neither of which looks familiar. I think if one was Spanish I'd recognize it but I don't. Stop and Shop is really reaching out to find TP. Still no familiar brands there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another New Toilet Paper

Some new brands may be coming from manufacturers that had been supplying institutional demand - e.g., restaurants, schools, offices, etc. - and have now pivoted to retail.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirlI think we could be seeing lots of that kind of thing going forward.

In reference to TP in particular, there was an article on the financial pages I read regularly that said US factories for TP had been running 24/7 way before the pandemic just to keep up with ordinary supplies. for household kinds of paper.  Maybe once lots of places here and worldwide re-open and the institutional demands return, we'll see an easy of the kinds we like for our homes.

I do know there's already been a better supply here in southern  FL where I shop.   Better tho, not perfect.

Respected Contributor

My local grocery store got some unheard of brands of TP in last week.  Nobody seems to be buying it. It's all written in Spanish.  Yesterday they had that and a bunch of regular brands such as Charmin and Quilted Northern.  I take this as a sign that the TP crisis is close to ending.  Many people such as myself have huge amounts on hand and are no longer buying.  I have had success buying online from Target and Walmart and I'm done for a good long while.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been seeing a lot of the toilet paper in Spanish packaging too. I miss my regular rolls, but am happy to get anything I can. I thought the Spanish one was called Suave; could be wrong. 

I still don't understand why there was a shortage. More and more people are staying at home, but even with people who hoard, there should have been enough available in stores, since so many business closed down. They were using regular toilet paper, although some had the big jumbo rolls like big box stores have dispensed. 

And then there are all the schools that closed, and the schools in my area use regular rolls of toilet paper; I have stopped by a school during session before, using their bathroom. Now their toilet paper supplies just sit there all these months.

And the office where I work.....we have the regular rolls of toilet paper. I even thought of stopping by the office to borrow some until it opens up again, and then replace. But I found some before I needed to do that.

I miss Charmin. Smiley Sad  

Also miss my regular paper towels, which didn't split into smaller sections. I hate those! I quickly grab/yank a paper towel of the holder, and never know exacty what length I will get. I loved Bounty WITHOUT the select-a-size. Someday, hopefully soon, I will have both my favorites back in the home.

Respected Contributor

This stuff is gray market, manufactured for other countries. It also meets their standards, not ours. I wouldn't put this on my undercarriage.

Respected Contributor

There was a clip on TV last week of a newly wed couple opening a gift of Cottonelle tp.  Smiley Wink

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl    Have you tried Walmart?  Everytime I place my online grocery pickup orders, I have my choice of several name brands, usually 12-packs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@shaggygirl    Have you tried Walmart?  Everytime I place my online grocery pickup orders, I have my choice of several name brands, usually 12-packs.

@Kachina624  No I haven't tried Walmart for TP because I don't really need it for myself so haven't made a special trip there. I've only been picking it up when I see it at my grocery store in case one of my kids or grandkids runs short again and can't find it where they live & shop I'll give it to them. Or if a friend or neighbor runs low and can't locate any or can't get out I'll give some to them.

I think it was at this same Stop & Shop where a couple of weeks ago I found a small supply they had of Angel Soft and picked a package up. One of my sons picked me up a couple of large packages a few weeks apart at a BJ's he goes to back when the shortage started which is why I'm ok for quite some time personally.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have noticed that when and where I was able to find TP it's all the Mega rolls. These are a problem since they absolutely don't fit in my TP holder.  At first I was cutting off the excess and making neat little TP packets. That becomes tedious real fast.  Given how much of the Mega size I have accumulated and will have to use, I ordered a free standing TP holder that  can hold the biggies.  It should be arriving today.  I also have noticed that when I can get Bounty from FreshDirect it's always the very large size which take up a whole room!  I really only want 2 at a time but beggars can't be choosers, so I have learned.

I have leaned from trying all these different brands of TP that Scott by far lasts the longest. I think one roll lasted almost a week!  Compared to Quilted Northen which lasts about a day and a half.