Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

I almost got pulled into No7 when I first discovered Walgreens had that Match Made Foundation Service.

No7

Then I talked myself out of it because I didn't feel like going to Walgreens without makeup.

But those recent threads had me considering the tinted moisturizer again.  I'd thought about it when I was running out of Lumene CC cream.

But I have two tubes right now so why would I even think about a different product?

@just bee,  yes the matching machine.  It took someone so long to come and help me that I had time to come to my senses and just left.  I would like to know what shade I am in out of curiosity. My Walgreens at the time was buy 1 get one half off so it was super tempting to take the plunge.  But am so glad I didn’t cave.  Too much to use up before buying more. 

Respected Contributor

This is day 6 of eating no desserts or just overeating in general and I feel so much  better.  ....and better everyday.   I still need to cut down on carbs some and put a meal plan in place but the first week I am just getting my footing.  

I have also also started exercising.  Slow for now until I build up.  This year I really do want to focus on my health. I have just been feeling terrible and it is my own doing. 

Time to dust off the bunnies on all the equipment I seem to have accumulated. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I am trying to organize this morning and I dont even know where to start. Everything is such a project. But now I am just procrastinating. 

@aprilskies

Don't feel bad.  I've been watching The Sopranos and fantasizing about pizza.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

This is day 6 of eating no desserts or just overeating in general and I feel so much  better.  ....and better everyday.   I still need to cut down on carbs some and put a meal plan in place but the first week I am just getting my footing.  

I have also also started exercising.  Slow for now until I build up.  This year I really do want to focus on my health. I have just been feeling terrible and it is my own doing. 

Time to dust off the bunnies on all the equipment I seem to have accumulated. 

@aprilskies

I think I'm starting to feel better but for three weeks I didn't.  I just wanted to curl up and wallow in illness.

Could have tried to make myself feel better by using products on my skin but I didn't.  I stopped doing the Classical Stretch thing.

The only thing I did was keep eating well.  The whole "food as medicine" routine.

Have to start stretching again before I get completely out of the habit.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I tried the No. 7 foundation early last year and it's ok, not my holy grail foundation.  I have cool undertones and the cool color had a strange gray cast to it.  And the match thingy, meh, a SA did that for me at Walgreens and the color foundation I ended up with was one shade too dark and I had to return/exchange for a lighter shade.

I want to try the Cover FX Power Play foundation but I'm too lazy to drive an hour to the nearest Sephora to try out the colors.  I'm still pretty happy with the Clinique foundation I'm using so why try another one until I've used it up?

Haven't done any decluttering lately, just too tired being a caregiver to my DH (cancer).  It's physically exhausting because I have to do everything and it's emotionally exhausting because I live in fear every day that he won't survive.  I have to be on high alert 24/7 for any symptoms of dehydration/infection and ready to drop everything and rush him to the ER.  And I'm not a medical professional!   I'm continually being blind-sided by some new symptom...very stressful. 

Anyhoo, I'm always fascinated that ladies put so much time and effort into inventorying their makeup and skincare.  I'm lucky if I remember my name most days.  If anything my DH's cancer has taught me, life is short and then you die.  Why spend it doing pointless exercises in tabulating your makeup and skincare?  I guess I'm just not that obessive-compulsive about stuff.  And the concept of capsule wardrobes...why limit yourself to such a degree?  Does it really simplify your life or are you spending a lot of time searching/shopping for that 'perfect' item for your capsule wardrobe?  Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wish I had the leisure time to pursue such activities.   

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

I tried the No. 7 foundation early last year and it's ok, not my holy grail foundation.  I have cool undertones and the cool color had a strange gray cast to it.  And the match thingy, meh, a SA did that for me at Walgreens and the color foundation I ended up with was one shade too dark and I had to return/exchange for a lighter shade.

I want to try the Cover FX Power Play foundation but I'm too lazy to drive an hour to the nearest Sephora to try out the colors.  I'm still pretty happy with the Clinique foundation I'm using so why try another one until I've used it up?

Haven't done any decluttering lately, just too tired being a caregiver to my DH (cancer).  It's physically exhausting because I have to do everything and it's emotionally exhausting because I live in fear every day that he won't survive.  I have to be on high alert 24/7 for any symptoms of dehydration/infection and ready to drop everything and rush him to the ER.  And I'm not a medical professional!   I'm continually being blind-sided by some new symptom...very stressful. 

Anyhoo, I'm always fascinated that ladies put so much time and effort into inventorying their makeup and skincare.  I'm lucky if I remember my name most days.  If anything my DH's cancer has taught me, life is short and then you die.  Why spend it doing pointless exercises in tabulating your makeup and skincare?  I guess I'm just not that obessive-compulsive about stuff.  And the concept of capsule wardrobes...why limit yourself to such a degree?  Does it really simplify your life or are you spending a lot of time searching/shopping for that 'perfect' item for your capsule wardrobe?  Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wish I had the leisure time to pursue such activities.   

@River Song

This is THE place to rant, my friend.  If you can't do it here, where can you do it?

I never had much experience with hospitals because my family generally avoided them.  Once I became responsible for my mother I was spending a lot of time with all sorts of things medical.  Like I've said, that's how I ended up in nursing school in my 50s.

But you're right: You end up in the strange position of doing research and experimenting.  Sometimes you start thinking that what you're doing makes more sense that what the medical professionals are telling you.

I can only offer two pieces of advice.

1. Don't try to do everything yourself.  You'll end up either ill or resentful.  Or both.

2. Don't fall into the trap of feeling guilty that you didn't do enough or didn't do the right thing every time you had to make a decision.  You're going to beat yourself up and run through all the what-ifs and it's not going to do anything but make you doubt yourself.

The best thing you can do is hang on to normal even though normal is changing every day and every hour.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies I know what you mean about not buying being the same but opposite of buying. It's still a shopping behavior. I would love to be at the point where I'm not doing shopping behaviors in any form but for now, I have to put some rules in effect for myself. Applause for your 6th day of healthy eating & incorporating exercise!

@just bee Yes, it is insanity how we continue to do the same things over again. That's the definition of it, isn't it? So my little shopping spree in CVS last month where I picked up a few super sale items was a bust. I actually ended up loving the powder until DH asked me why I looked like I had a sunglass tan. What?! That's my new brightened look from the powder. How could he not know? Well, I had to take a good look at myself and admit that it did look really lightened in an unnatural way. I haven't put away the powder but greatly reduced the area of application. Also, the cushion color correcter was a bust. It did absolutely nothing. So 2 out of 3 products were not worth the sale price. 

I thought I had decluttered all my makeup but not really. I have lip products that I bought or were GWP that I stashed away. I didn't use or even swatch them so I had no idea if I liked them or not. I have been using 2 of them for about a month and just don't like them. They are older and why punish myself? I tossed them. I replaced them with a sheer lipstick that I'm really enjoying instead. I also let go of a contour kit that I bought when I had a wedding to attend, 2 years ago. I tried using it off and on since then but would get little bumps in the area where the product was. This had good reviews so I continued to try. I finally came to my senses. 

I made my first beauty purchase of the year today. I finished a skin tint that took me the entire year to use up. It was the wrong color so I had to mix it with a lighter concealer, which made the product last twice as long as it should have. To replace it, I decided to go back to an oldie but goodie, a concealer instead of a foundation/skin tint/cc cream. I'm purposely not naming specific brands so as not to create FOMO here. It's more important for me to know what the product does and that it works. Anyway, I know it's a classic because it's been around for decades and hasn't been discontinued. I've used it before and I know it works. I feel good about the purchase. It was needed and it was a one in one out exchange.

@aprilskies I decluttered a brush! My stash is still so big, but I like having it there in case I want to try a new technique or product with it. I've been watching some no foundation makeup videos since I have the new concealer. Wayne Goss has some really good techniques but uses an eyeshadow brush to apply the concealer. I went through my stash and found a brush that I thought would work. It's pretty old but seemed fine. I started buffing in the concealer and the brush shed like crazy. Out it went! Tomorrow I will try it with another brush. From the stash. 

I was forced to declutter a slipper (aka flipflops). The plastic thingie that goes between the toes snapped in half. I was sad because it was a Vionic. But I'm going to hold off buying a replacement. I have some cheapie ones from CVS that will do. Plus this would come from my beauty budget and I really don't want to waste it on slippers. I have a pair of sandals that are nearing the 3 year mark (how long do your shoes & sandals last?). I wear them almost everyday for work. I've already replaced the heels once. But the elastic that holds the buckle is getting really stretched out and thin. It's gonna go any day now. So I know I'll have to get a new sandal soon. 

@River Song I'm so sorry about your husband. It must be exhausting. I'm already irritable about taking care of my household which is healthy. I wish they would do their chores or just pick up after themselves without me reminding them. But putting it all into perspective, we have it pretty good. A dear friend just got diagnosed with tongue cancer. He's started the first step by having the tumor removed and is trying to swallow so he can eat. It's painful and slow. I'm so thankful that we have our health. Please hand in there and feel free to rant any time.

Respected Contributor

@River Song-absolutely, rant away anytime! I can't even imagine what you are going thru taking care of your husband and everything in the house too. I'm sure it must be overwhelming at times and decluttering is the last thing on your mind.

I don't have anything like that going on in my house but like @Oshare-girl I wish the kiddos would do their chores without having to be asked and be reminded all the time. Sometimes I think nagging everyone is more exhausting then just doing it myself. 

I also agree about the makeup and skincare inventories. Even though I never kept an inventory per se, for a few years I was tracking everything that came in and everything that went out, as far as beauty products. Mostly just the numbers, making sure that more went out than came in.

Eventually I realized that it was more stressful worrying about the numbers than not. As soon as something new came in I was thinking about what could go out. It was really silly actually. I couldn't enjoy my products and I definitely have more important things to be concerned with and obsessing over beauty products was not real high up there on my list of concerns. I did stop doing that, but I still obsess more than I should. I'm working on trying to get over that, but it's hard to not think about sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies-that's awesome on not eating desserts. Sweets are definitely my downfall, I'm another one that thinks I have a sugar addiction. Especially chocolate, I could eat it all day, love it.

I'd like to lose about 25lbs this year if I can. I figure that's only 1/2 lb a week and should be very doable if I watch what I eat a bit without having to go on a really strict diet.

I usually cut way back to drop the weight but I don't feel like doing that right now. I'm just trying to cut back on my portion sizes and cut back on the sweets at least a bit and see if I can lose a couple of pounds that way. If I can't, I might have to be more strict and take it more seriously, but for now, I'm just cutting back to see what happens. I've been way out of control lately. 

Honored Contributor

Q: What do you do when life gives you melons?

A: See a doctor because you’re probably dyslexic.