Honored Contributor

ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

@just bee

Happy New Year! 2019.jpgThanks for the great threads. I love reading them.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy New Year everyone!

Trusted Contributor

Happy New to everyone! It's only 9:05pm here but it's close enough. 

I've added up the value of everything I used up in 2018, which includes things the family finished too. It's 4 figures but I know I paid less for them as most was bought on sale. It's about $300 less than what I finished in 2017, which I attribute to the Beauty Heroes subscription I had in 2017. I've lost track of what I purchased this year. Once the holiday sales started, I gave up. I anticipate that in 2019, I will use up less as I haven't been purchasing as much. I'm still finding products that I don't need and those I'm not replenishing. I've also decluttered pretty much everything that I haven't used in the year so what's left is what I like & use.

I finished an inventory of all the makeup and skincare I have and divided it into the categories: short-term staples, long-term staples, and long-term pleasures. Short-term staples are products I use regularly and finish in less than 5 months (i.e. mascara, lipstick from my capsule, cleansing balm, serums). Long-term staples are products that I use regularly and take longer than 5 months to finish (i.e. Retin-A, toner, moisturizer, sunscreen, lip balm). Long-term pleasures are products that I don't regularly use or take a long time to finish (i.e. eyeshadow, blush, basically color cosmetics, nail polish and perfume). I realized I had lip products in all 3 areas, because I can finish a lipstick in 3-4 months if it's part of my capsule but I have much more than I need. And the nightly lip balm I use lasts almost a year but I use it every night. So long-term pleasures are basically an area of excess products. As HLP said, it's an area I have already overspent in and are sunk costs. If I add to it, it's purely my choice and I know that money is lost.

I'm going to continue with my seasonal capsules. It gives me a focused time to stick with the same products and get to really know them. At the end of 3 months, and the beginning of the new capsule, it's a fun challenge to make the new products work. 

I'm fully stocked up and can make it to the next sale, or maybe the next next sale. I really need to work on decluttering the pantry and all the junk food from the holidays. I think I need to declutter some bags too. I rotate through 2-3 bags so the rest can really be let go. I rarely reach for the others. I also love jackets, even though it's so warm here. I do need it for the air conditioning but not so many. I'll have to get rid of a few this year. 

What are your plans for the new year?

Respected Contributor

Happy New Year everyone! 

Here's to another great year of ComPacting!

My goal for the new year is to TRY to use up as many products as I can that I already have without purchasing more. I would really like to be down to the bare bones by the end of next year as much as possible, because I'd love to be able to take part in some of the great after Christmas sales without feeling guilty. 

This year I did stock up during the BBW semi annual sale so I should be set on lotions, body spray and shower gel for the year. 

I'd like to be able to do that next year again, and maybe add some new color cosmetics to try too. I REALLY wanted to buy a bunch of stuff from the elf after Christmas sale, but I just couldn't justify it because I have plenty of makeup already here and it takes forever to use up. So I'm looking forward to getting some new items during next year's sale.

I'm also still trying to find those elusive holy grail items. I'm getting closer, but definitely not there yet. 

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl- There is a thread over on the Home forum, Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I just started it today, but it's a continuation of a thread that was started last year. Kind of like the ComPact thread, it actually endured the entire year and several of us wanted to continue into the upconing year. If you're doing any kind of decluttering or purging it's a great place to visit and post what's leaving your home.

I like reading it because it gives me some inspiration and motivation when I don't feel like doing anything, and it gives me some good ideas too as to where I can look around in my own home for areas to declutter. 

Actually, I think @just bee pointed it out to me last year, and I've been posting there ever since. Another great group of ladies, just like here!

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Oshare-girl- There is a thread over on the Home forum, Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I just started it today, but it's a continuation of a thread that was started last year. Kind of like the ComPact thread, it actually endured the entire year and several of us wanted to continue into the upconing year. If you're doing any kind of decluttering or purging it's a great place to visit and post what's leaving your home.

I like reading it because it gives me some inspiration and motivation when I don't feel like doing anything, and it gives me some good ideas too as to where I can look around in my own home for areas to declutter. 

Actually, I think @just bee pointed it out to me last year, and I've been posting there ever since. Another great group of ladies, just like here!

@rnmom

I think it's a great idea to carry that thread over to the new year.  And I really like the line, "Here's to a lighter 2019!" Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks @just bee!

I wasn't really sure what to say, how to word it, but a couple of the gals over there asked me to start the thread, so I did. I didn't want to let it die. It's just been too good. Thanks for pointing it out to me!