Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@River Song

I doubt any of us know what it is you’re going through daily.  I know I sure don’t.  The amount of constant stress on an ongoing basis, with no sure end in sight.  Just can’t imagine it.

I can fully relate to your statement “Why spend [your life] doing pointless exercises in tabulating your makeup and skincare?”  I’ve asked that same and similar questions the better part of this past year.  It’s when life slaps you in the face that you realize we don’t really have as much control over our lives as most of us think.  While we’re young, healthy and productive we tend to think we have all the time in the world.  When we are placed in a situation where we realize we do not, I doubt that any of us are concerned about which skincare line will get rid of our wrinkles.  Modern life has a lot of advantages, but I think in many ways our lives have become too complicated and we tend to lose sight of what—when all the trappings are removed—is important.

Please know that we all are thinking of you and wishing you, your husband, and family the best possible outcome to this.  While we can’t be there in person to lend a hand, we can be here to lend an ear anytime.

And what better place to vent all your fears and frustrations about the unfairness and uncertainty in life than an anonymous online shopping channel beauty forum? 😄

🙏❤️🕊 

Esteemed Contributor

I lost 4 pounds the past week by returning to logging my food and with daily exercise. I don't expect that again as it is mostly water loss. Now, at the same time, I've been ridding myself of lotions and potions partly used with a vow now to be lured into a new "greatest" item.

I've also been watching "Tidying Up" on Netflix which is the Marie Kondo series in which she helps families declutter. Her emphasiis is instead of focusing upon a room that we focus upon a type of item, so focusing upon our beauty items falls in line with that. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Well, let’s see.  My attic project continues.  Every couple of days, weather and body permitting, I get a few more boxes of stuff out of there.  I’ve made a good-sized dent in the maze.  Several boxes of old tax records and receipts are going to have to wait until I talk to the accountant to see what can be shredded.  Most, I suppose.  Some are from the 1970s.  

I‘m finding it interesting to see what it is that I’m choosing to save.  Boxes of “treasures” are being given away without a second thought, or often even a thorough look at everything inside.  Oh sure, seeing things from our past brings back memories, but oddly, I don’t feel the need to keep them.  Or the desire.  In fact, the more I get rid of, the better I feel about it.  I look forward to getting back to decluttering the house to get that to a more enjoyable place.

But I find that some of the things I’m having trouble tossing are not what I would have thought.  Like paperwork.  Our original trust, which I should have destroyed long ago, my father’s death certificate or my mother’s bank records.  Old medications—some from my dog who passed five years ago.  Documents that have writings or a signature.  And other “personal” items.  I guess, in a way, it’s the things that I associate that person or pet with most closely.  But it’s funny because—so far, at least—not one thing that I can’t bear to part with is something big, fancy or expensive.  Just not the normal things people would think would be important to me.  I’m just weird, I guess.

Now, if I could get my HEP on track as good as my decluttering, I’d be a happy camper.  My decluttering is an ongoing process that I do eagerly and willingly.  My eating is still a struggle that I seem to not be making much progress with.  I’m off the junk food and most sugar (except for about a half-teaspoon for my tea).  So there’s that much.  But I’m replacing snacks with nuts so that’s not helping me lose any weight.  I guess it’s not so much what I’m eating anymore, as how much.  Something to work on, but I’m just not motivated.  I’ve heard that antidepressants will cause weight gain, but I can’t use that as an excuse.  I wouldn’t really mind if it was working better.

Well, guess I should get off my duff and get the dog out for a walk.  Exercise is another non-motivational event lately too.  

Trusted Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

I lost 4 pounds the past week by returning to logging my food and with daily exercise. I don't expect that again as it is mostly water loss. Now, at the same time, I've been ridding myself of lotions and potions partly used with a vow now to be lured into a new "greatest" item.

I've also been watching "Tidying Up" on Netflix which is the Marie Kondo series in which she helps families declutter. Her emphasiis is instead of focusing upon a room that we focus upon a type of item, so focusing upon our beauty items falls in line with that. 

@KonaKat I started watching "Tidying Up" too. I read the book when it first came out and fell in love with the concept. I did a shortcut version to my own belongings and it was around the time I found this thread. It's so interesting to see the KonMari in video vs reading about it. It's very apparent that the actual clutter is just a by-product of something else. When the clutter is cleared, the "things" that the clutter hid comes into view. I believe Marie addresses this in her book too. I should re-read it. My family watched the show with me and were inspired to declutter. I'm so excited. To have everyone aware and on the same page would be awesome. @rnmom I'm hoping that this new awareness will lead to less frustration for me. I totally feel like nagging is more work than doing the actual chore. But that wouldn't teach the kids anything if I did it for them. So I count it as an investment. My frustration will pay off one day when they do their chores because it contributes to the family. Sooner than later.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, let’s see.  My attic project continues.  Every couple of days, weather and body permitting, I get a few more boxes of stuff out of there.  I’ve made a good-sized dent in the maze.  Several boxes of old tax records and receipts are going to have to wait until I talk to the accountant to see what can be shredded.  Most, I suppose.  Some are from the 1970s.  

I‘m finding it interesting to see what it is that I’m choosing to save.  Boxes of “treasures” are being given away without a second thought, or often even a thorough look at everything inside.  Oh sure, seeing things from our past brings back memories, but oddly, I don’t feel the need to keep them.  Or the desire.  In fact, the more I get rid of, the better I feel about it.  I look forward to getting back to decluttering the house to get that to a more enjoyable place.

But I find that some of the things I’m having trouble tossing are not what I would have thought.  Like paperwork.  Our original trust, which I should have destroyed long ago, my father’s death certificate or my mother’s bank records.  Old medications—some from my dog who passed five years ago.  Documents that have writings or a signature.  And other “personal” items.  I guess, in a way, it’s the things that I associate that person or pet with most closely.  But it’s funny because—so far, at least—not one thing that I can’t bear to part with is something big, fancy or expensive.  Just not the normal things people would think would be important to me.  I’m just weird, I guess.

Now, if I could get my HEP on track as good as my decluttering, I’d be a happy camper.  My decluttering is an ongoing process that I do eagerly and willingly.  My eating is still a struggle that I seem to not be making much progress with.  I’m off the junk food and most sugar (except for about a half-teaspoon for my tea).  So there’s that much.  But I’m replacing snacks with nuts so that’s not helping me lose any weight.  I guess it’s not so much what I’m eating anymore, as how much.  Something to work on, but I’m just not motivated.  I’ve heard that antidepressants will cause weight gain, but I can’t use that as an excuse.  I wouldn’t really mind if it was working better.

Well, guess I should get off my duff and get the dog out for a walk.  Exercise is another non-motivational event lately too.  

@geezerette You hit the nail on the head in all areas. In the end, what will matter will not be expensive or fancy. What we associate with people will be certain memories that no one else has.I like that the KonMari method takes this into account by having a special box to hold special things which is put in a special place. It's treated with special care because it's special.

And yes to HEP snacking. When I think about substituting sugar with something, I want to add in nuts. But caloric-wise, nuts are heavy-hitters. Portion size is really important no matter what we consume. And being active to burn the fuel. I'm having such a hard time decluttering the snacks. My dad gave us 3 tins of Almond Roca in 3 different flavors. Gah! Almond Roca is one of my favorites. It's so hard to resist. My dad is one of the biggest roadblocks in my quest for HEP. It's not use telling him not to give us the sweets. It's the way he shows love. So I accept them but feel guilty just throwing it away. And everyone we know is trying to eat healthier too so no one else wants it. Maybe I should just do a small donation to the Foodbank...

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl-UGH, the chores! I am so frustrated right now. My kids have been off for 2 entire weeks for Christmas break, finally going back to school today. I am so tired of looking at them sitting around I can't stand it. I'm SO looking forward to having some quiet time to myself today.

I thought that as they got older it would be easier because they are able to do more for themselves. They are now 10 and 13. But I swear, it's almost worse than when they were toddlers. They can do more things, that's true, but it also seems like they make more messes for me to clean up, dragging stuff out and just leaving it, then I have to constantly ask them to put it away. 

Simple things, like putting away a glass, or their shoes, helping clear the table, throwing away their trash. It's driving me crazy. I feel like a total nag and it's exhausting. I'm hoping it will get better eventually and pay off in the end, but I'm really starting to wonder sometimes. 

Maybe I need to try to find that video too, see if they will sit down and watch it. We don't have access to videos on demand, so I would have to find it at the video store if it's available. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

This is day 6 of eating no desserts or just overeating in general and I feel so much  better.  ....and better everyday.   I still need to cut down on carbs some and put a meal plan in place but the first week I am just getting my footing.  

I have also also started exercising.  Slow for now until I build up.  This year I really do want to focus on my health. I have just been feeling terrible and it is my own doing. 

Time to dust off the bunnies on all the equipment I seem to have accumulated. 

@aprilskies

I think I'm starting to feel better but for three weeks I didn't.  I just wanted to curl up and wallow in illness.

Could have tried to make myself feel better by using products on my skin but I didn't.  I stopped doing the Classical Stretch thing.

The only thing I did was keep eating well.  The whole "food as medicine" routine.

Have to start stretching again before I get completely out of the habit.

@just bee, it is so hard to get motivated to do just about anything when you are that sick.  The older I get, I seem to fall back into being a baby.  When I am Woman LOLWoman LOLsick all I want is to be pampered.

Respected Contributor

@River Song wrote:

Haven't done any decluttering lately, just too tired being a caregiver to my DH (cancer).  It's physically exhausting because I have to do everything and it's emotionally exhausting because I live in fear every day that he won't survive.  I have to be on high alert 24/7 for any symptoms of dehydration/infection and ready to drop everything and rush him to the ER.  And I'm not a medical professional!   I'm continually being blind-sided by some new symptom...very stressful. 

Anyhoo, I'm always fascinated that ladies put so much time and effort into inventorying their makeup and skincare.  I'm lucky if I remember my name most days.  If anything my DH's cancer has taught me, life is short and then you die.  Why spend it doing pointless exercises in tabulating your makeup and skincare?  I guess I'm just not that obessive-compulsive about stuff.  And the concept of capsule wardrobes...why limit yourself to such a degree?  Does it really simplify your life or are you spending a lot of time searching/shopping for that 'perfect' item for your capsule wardrobe?  Sorry for the rant, I guess I just wish I had the leisure time to pursue such activities.   

@River Song, you are going through so much. I cant even imagine.  While you are in it right now and this may not be comforting, all I can say after taking care of my parents at times is that you can only do what you can do and decisions are made at the moment, good or bad.  Try to not beat yourself up. You are human and doing the best you can do.  Also, I think a little self care is absolutely crucial and it may not be possible at times, but you need to incorporate it anywhere you can.  Hang in there.  The best to you and your husband.

Tabulating mu/skincare, absolutely not. I cant even keep a budget for the year. I do well for a little bit and then throw in the towel.  But, dont forget, for those that actually do it, it may just be a nice distraction or something relaxing and mindless for them.  We all have problems, for the most part, and we just have different ways of dealing with it.

As far as decluttering, I wouldnt worry about it too much. It gets done when it gets done. However, if it takes your mind off of things for a little while, it is a distraction that serves a purpose.

Hang in there and feel free to rant as you wish.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies I know what you mean about not buying being the same but opposite of buying. It's still a shopping behavior. I would love to be at the point where I'm not doing shopping behaviors in any form but for now, I have to put some rules in effect for myself. Applause for your 6th day of healthy eating & incorporating exercise!

@aprilskies I decluttered a brush! My stash is still so big, but I like having it there in case I want to try a new technique or product with it. I've been watching some no foundation makeup videos since I have the new concealer. Wayne Goss has some really good techniques but uses an eyeshadow brush to apply the concealer. I went through my stash and found a brush that I thought would work. It's pretty old but seemed fine. I started buffing in the concealer and the brush shed like crazy. Out it went! Tomorrow I will try it with another brush. From the stash. 

@Oshare-girl, absolutely, putting rules in place for yourself is valuable and keeps us on the path.  I have tried all the strategies and it doesnt work for me.  I will do so good for a while and then 1 purchase sends me rolling down the hill and I hit hard.  So this year, I am just going to try and not "see" what is out there. I am such a lemming. It is just the bottom line. Half the time, I dont know I need something unless I see it.  So, this year, I am going to just try and change my focus to things I really need to address.  I have been ignoring the important things I need to do and it is not serving me well.  -at all.

Thanks on the kudos for the healthy eating.  I dont know it is exactly "healthy" eating yet but I want to get there, but it has been less.  Count me on the too many nuts. @geezerette.  I found myself eating more chips and nuts. I started measuring the nuts.  They are super calorie dense. I didnt get rid of everthing and have no intention too. If it happens naturally that is fine, however, I do feel life is too short and if I want a piece a cake, I am going to have it, but maybe just not two big piecesWoman LOL.  But, I do want to get to a point where I dont keep junk food around.  I have been in a fog for far too long and chewing on tums isnt fun.  So, it was time to make a change and cold turkey is the only way I can do it.  It isnt easy.  I am only doing this in Jan, in Feb, I am going to work on being reasonable.

Brushes, ugh, dont get me started. I have tried twice to declutter mine over the last couple of years and I dont part with many despite putting them to the side.  What is it about brushes?  Yes, I think the concealor and the cc creams are what keeps me from delving into foundations. I just dont need them. I dont look to cover every living speck on my face, just even out my skintone a bit.

Good luck with your budget this year, @Oshare-girl.  Keep us posted as to how it is going. It is a good way to do it with the rolling forward. It keeps you in tune to what you really need.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies-that's awesome on not eating desserts. Sweets are definitely my downfall, I'm another one that thinks I have a sugar addiction. Especially chocolate, I could eat it all day, love it.

I'd like to lose about 25lbs this year if I can. I figure that's only 1/2 lb a week and should be very doable if I watch what I eat a bit without having to go on a really strict diet.

I usually cut way back to drop the weight but I don't feel like doing that right now. I'm just trying to cut back on my portion sizes and cut back on the sweets at least a bit and see if I can lose a couple of pounds that way. If I can't, I might have to be more strict and take it more seriously, but for now, I'm just cutting back to see what happens. I've been way out of control lately. 

@rnmom,  I think we all have to be ready for it. I cant tell you how long I have tried. I think for me it just became a health thing.  Chewing on tums isnt fun and I knew if I kept doing what I was doing, I was headed for trouble, hopefully, I didnt cause myself any already. Also, I have been in a fog far too long and I know it is due to my eating habits. I just needed to make changes in 2019. Too me it isnt about a piece of cake or what have you, I needed to stop the insanity.

I am only doing no sweets in Jan., in Feb. I am going to work on being reasonable. If I can hold out this month, next should be easier and if it isnt I will go back to putting rules in place. BUT, this is a change I must do this year.

I have 26 lbs to lose. Let's do it together. Slow but steady.