Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,579
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

There's a thread about beauty purchases and mindfulness.  All I know is that I'm going to try to avoid the free shipping and BOGO traps.

 

What's the point of buying more of something to "save" when you discover what you've purchased is something you just don't like?

 

Unless it's an item that I use -- a staple -- I'm not going to stock it.

 

Case in point: I bought three jars of Lumene sleeping cream because I thought I needed a night cream.  I don't really care for this.  It's heavy and it smells weird.  If I use this, I'm not using all the freaking oils I've bought.

 

Now I'm stuck with three jars.  Yeah, it was a good price at the time.  But it's a lousy price if it's something that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place. 

 

I do like Lumene's Glow Reveal -- and that's getting hard to find.  This sleeping cream is not a substitute.  Two very different products.


 

@just bee, I couldn’t agree more. We have been trained to chase the good deal, however, a good deal for who? 

 

I have basically unsubscribed, again, to mostly everything except a few places. It is time to change up the focus in 2019. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,328
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

I was thinkng about the whole stockpiling/shopping thing because I am a big stockpiler in general. I definitely shop sales and use coupons when I can because I'm feeding 4 people, including 2 growing boys. So I always stock up on food and basic toiletries when there's a good deal.

 

However, one of my big pet peeves is wasting food. I hate it. I feel like I'm just throwing money in the trash. Fortunately, I have 3 dogs that can help clean up any leftover scraps if need be. And sometimes scraps will go outside to feed the wildlife. (we live in the woods)

 

But then I got to thinking about how many beauty products I've simply tossed because I don't care for them. How much money has gone in the trash can. What a waste! That's a lot of the reason why I really want to try to curb my spending this year. Unless it's a staple like toothpaste, deodorant, or even shower gel, something that I know will get used, I'm not buying a bunch of backups.

 

Makeup for sure, and even skincare. It does me absolutely no good at all to buy items on sale at a great price and then just toss it out because I don't like it or won't use it. I don't like to do that with food, so why is it ok to do with beauty items? How silly of me. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,156
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@rnmom

 

Exactly!  As I said on a previous post, we're wasting less food because we're planning better.  Making soups and stews and trying to create recipes with what we have on hand so trips to the store are quicker, shorter, fewer.

 

Using Costco to stock necessities like vitamins, canned and jarred food, paper products, detergent, Ziplocs, garbage bags -- that kind of thing.  Stuff that doesn't spoil.

 

I don't mind stocking products that are used on a daily basis: Toothpaste, deodorant, facial cleanser.  But I have to keep an eye on the items that aren't used every day.  Like the creams and oils.  I haven't made a dent in that Acure argan oil and I just realized I ordered it in November 2017.  After a year it's probably ready to toss.

 

So, knowing that I haven't used the argan or the Lumene oils I have, what did I do last May?  I ordered more Acure oils: Coconut argan, marula and rosehip.

 

I put those in the fridge.  I actually used the rosehip last night.  Maybe the second time since I bought it.

 

This is stupid.  I mean, what else would it be?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,579
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!


@rnmom wrote:

I was thinkng about the whole stockpiling/shopping thing because I am a big stockpiler in general. I definitely shop sales and use coupons when I can because I'm feeding 4 people, including 2 growing boys. So I always stock up on food and basic toiletries when there's a good deal.

 

However, one of my big pet peeves is wasting food. I hate it. I feel like I'm just throwing money in the trash. Fortunately, I have 3 dogs that can help clean up any leftover scraps if need be. And sometimes scraps will go outside to feed the wildlife. (we live in the woods)

 

But then I got to thinking about how many beauty products I've simply tossed because I don't care for them. How much money has gone in the trash can. What a waste! That's a lot of the reason why I really want to try to curb my spending this year. Unless it's a staple like toothpaste, deodorant, or even shower gel, something that I know will get used, I'm not buying a bunch of backups.

 

Makeup for sure, and even skincare. It does me absolutely no good at all to buy items on sale at a great price and then just toss it out because I don't like it or won't use it. I don't like to do that with food, so why is it ok to do with beauty items? How silly of me. 


 

@rnmom, exactly.  I think we need to start considering the waste of it all.  Not only money but the effect on our environment too. 

 

In December, I did buy stuff but also had some success in not buying too. I finally found a couple of things from wet n wild that I had been searching for for quite awhile.  One was a highlighter in a certain shade for a very cheap cheap price on sale.  I was excited. This was always sold out.  I even contemplated on buying a few of them.  Well after a few minutes I walked out with none.  I was so proud of myself. All I could think was this was just another product that would sit in the drawer that I would need to use up or toss. ...and I didn’t even know if I would like it. I barely touch my high end palette as it is.  I avoided a few things this way. This is the kind of thinking I am trying to attach to all my purchases this year. 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,579
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!


@just bee wrote:

@rnmom

 

Exactly!  As I said on a previous post, we're wasting less food because we're planning better.  Making soups and stews and trying to create recipes with what we have on hand so trips to the store are quicker, shorter, fewer.

 

Using Costco to stock necessities like vitamins, canned and jarred food, paper products, detergent, Ziplocs, garbage bags -- that kind of thing.  Stuff that doesn't spoil.

 

I don't mind stocking products that are used on a daily basis: Toothpaste, deodorant, facial cleanser.  But I have to keep an eye on the items that aren't used every day.  Like the creams and oils.  I haven't made a dent in that Acure argan oil and I just realized I ordered it in November 2017.  After a year it's probably ready to toss.

 

So, knowing that I haven't used the argan or the Lumene oils I have, what did I do last May?  I ordered more Acure oils: Coconut argan, marula and rosehip.

 

I put those in the fridge.  I actually used the rosehip last night.  Maybe the second time since I bought it.

 

This is stupid.  I mean, what else would it be?


 

@just bee, I keep doing the same thing.  I toss only to do it again.   So many times.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,156
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

Frankly, another thing to watch out for is the trends that start on this forum.  A person will post about a product and then others feel they need to run out and try it so they have something to post.

 

Which is fine.  Until the next thread appears and that one will be about some other brand that's even more amazing.

 

I didn't buy any beauty items in December and I'm not planning on buying any in January, either.  The only item I "need" is Lumene Glow Reveal.  It's the one facial moisturizer I've used consistently and I've opened my last jar.  Just hoping I can find a reliable source for it.  Target is beginning to stock newer Lumene products on their site so I've been stalking...

 

Not in the mood to start lining up replacements.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,156
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!


@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

So, knowing that I haven't used the argan or the Lumene oils I have, what did I do last May?  I ordered more Acure oils: Coconut argan, marula and rosehip.

 

I put those in the fridge.  I actually used the rosehip last night.  Maybe the second time since I bought it.

 

This is stupid.  I mean, what else would it be?


 

@just bee, I keep doing the same thing.  I toss only to do it again.   So many times.  


@aprilskies

 

I hesitate to say it's crazy, but since I work in psychiatry I think I can throw that out there for consideration. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,156
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

An extensive government study has revealed that the leading cause of cancer in laboratory rats is scientists.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,579
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!


@just bee wrote:

Frankly, another thing to watch out for is the trends that start on this forum.  A person will post about a product and then others feel they need to run out and try it so they have something to post.

 

Which is fine.  Until the next thread appears and that one will be about some other brand that's even more amazing.

 

I didn't buy any beauty items in December and I'm not planning on buying any in January, either.  The only item I "need" is Lumene Glow Reveal.  It's the one facial moisturizer I've used consistently and I've opened my last jar.  Just hoping I can find a reliable source for it.  Target is beginning to stock newer Lumene products on their site so I've been stalking...

 

Not in the mood to start lining up replacements.


 

@just bee, ITA!!!  These ladies almost had me going in December with the No 7 foundation and I had it in my hot little hands but then came to my senses. I have two cc creams, a tinted spf, and several powder foundations to get through before I add anything else.  Plus, a cc cream or powder foundation is all I need. I dont need anything more than that nor do I want to start. I will say though, these boards no longer get me often anymore, at least they haven’t for the last couple of years. They use to and years ago it was horrible. Just horrible.  But I think those days were fun and a form of commraderie(spell ?).  I was so addicted to these boards. There were so many fun ladies. 

 

I am trying to organize this morning and I dont even know where to start. Everything is such a project. But now I am just procrastinating. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,156
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

@aprilskies

 

I almost got pulled into No7 when I first discovered Walgreens had that Match Made Foundation Service.

 

No7

Then I talked myself out of it because I didn't feel like going to Walgreens without makeup.

 

But those recent threads had me considering the tinted moisturizer again.  I'd thought about it when I was running out of Lumene CC cream.

 

But I have two tubes right now so why would I even think about a different product?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~