Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you be shocked if your dentist told you to do this?

Do you have anybody at home who could do it for you? They would be able to see inside your month much better than you could yourself. 

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can soak the scissors in alcohol or boil them.  They will be sterile.  Then just snip it off.  No a big deal.  If you are freaked over this I hope you never have anything major.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's because I HAVE had "anything major" (i.e. both hips replaced, burst appendix, hepatitis) that I'm so cautious.

Honored Contributor

I would have just cut it myself and not called.  Having said that though, I think he should have cut it.  You pay a lot of money to the dentist to do procedures whether it's cash or insurance.  What it you cut it too short and it needed to be restiched?  You'd have to pay for the dentist to fix it.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

You can soak the scissors in alcohol or boil them.  They will be sterile.  Then just snip it off.  No a big deal.  If you are freaked over this I hope you never have anything major.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's because I HAVE had "anything major" (i.e. both hips replaced, burst appendix, hepatitis) that I'm so cautious.

@FuzzyFace  I say if you are uncomfortable doing it, go in and mention" no charge for this, correct?"

Honored Contributor

I'm laughing because no one could do this themselves.  So, a lot of hot air being blown around.  No one has a mouth big enoug to see to do it or hands small enough...lol   Sure someone else could do it but only if you have  pair of tiny sharp pair of scissors.  Most people don't have a pair, it took the dentist 3 seconds and no....there's no charge for it because it's an absolute nothing.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm laughing because no one could do this themselves.  So, a lot of hot air being blown around.  No one has a mouth big enoug to see to do it or hands small enough...lol   Sure someone else could do it but only if you have  pair of tiny sharp pair of scissors.  Most people don't have a pair, it took the dentist 3 seconds and no....there's no charge for it because it's an absolute nothing.  

I've had stitches every time I've had an extraction for an implant.  Within days as the  area healed, there was always loose thread from the stitches.  I had no problem snipping the bothersome thread using cuticle scissors.

No hot air being blown.

Valued Contributor

Snipping sutures that are a little too long is no big deal.   Your mouth is anything but sterile.  There would be no need to sterilize the scizzors.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Last night it got to bothering me so intensely that I reached in with my hand--nice, soft fingers, you see--and pulled the thread out with my fingers!!!

The joke's on me :-)

Cat LOLCat LOLCat LOLCat LOLCat LOLCat LOLCat LOLCat LOL

Respected Contributor

The human mouth is full of so much really really horrible  bacteria, that I doubt that there is anything you can introduce there via a pair of clean scissors that is worse..

We dont like think about it too much, becaue if we did, we would never kiss anyone ever again! LOL!

Honored Contributor

One can only assume he knew you were smart enough to use a clean scissors. Also, not razor sharp, but simply a small scissors.