Honored Contributor

Re: Would you be shocked if your dentist told you to do this?

You can soak the scissors in alcohol or boil them.  They will be sterile.  Then just snip it off.  No a big deal.  If you are freaked over this I hope you never have anything major.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I wonder about a dentist's liability if he/she told you to do this and then you ended up stabbing yourself in the process.

"Well, your honor, he/she TOLD me to do it!"

Honored Contributor

I would be the type to cut it myself.

But what harm would it be for her to stop by and the assistant do it if the doctor is busy?

My son needed stitches on his forehead when he fell at school, one day before we were to leave on vacation.    The stitches could come out in 5 days, the doctor told me I could remove the stitches myself.

he didn't trust me.   He was 10, he did it himself.

He sat on the counter in the bathroom at the mirror.

I don't recall there being any drama about the scissors.

But that's the forehead.

Respected Contributor

I probably would have taken care of it myself without calling, but if I did call and got that response I would have felt better knowing it seemed to be no big deal and something I could do without having to make another trip to the dentist.

Respected Contributor

Well I am a RN and I would totally cut those ends. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt, same here. 

Respected Contributor

Been there and done that, except I made the mistake of not just cutting off the tail, but inadvertently pulled on it ending up removing the some of the stitches.  Got scolded by my dentist because it delayed healing.

Depending upon how this conversation went,  "since it was bothering you so much and it was after hours",  that is probably why he told you it was possible for you to snip it yourself.  If you had told him you felt uncomfortable doing that I am sure he would have told you to come in the next business day.

Trusted Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

No big deal. Do as they said or run to the dentist. Why make such a fuss about such a little thing?

It WASN'T a little thing to me. The idea of putting small, extremely sharp embroidery scissrs way back into my mouth, without being able to see what I'm doing, strikes me as terrible advice.

If you want to try this on yourself, go ahead, and let us know how it turns out.

Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I dont feel your making too much of it .  I can understand  that without being able to actually see what your doing plus scissors aren't exactly sterilized like dental tools are . I am A self described germaphobe due to a immune condition so I certainly wouldn't use them wiped even with alcohol.   I feel the dentist you spoke to should have had you come in a do it for you ,  it would take him a minute , what's his problem!!   Call and have him or your dentist test referred you do it for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am too -- a germaphobe -- and the fact that I have hepatitis makes me super extra careful. Mu DH is a biologist and he had a fit when I told him.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Well I am a RN and I would totally cut those ends. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're an RN and would be able to see what you're doing so I would totally trust you to do it; me, not so much.