Honored Contributor

my thyroid hormone needs adjusting

I just got a call from my Drs office telling me to cut back my armour, by 1/2  pill pr week. It doesn't seem like much ,but ,I know these pills  are powerful

I will be tested again in 2 months. I have never had this happen before ,and I am a bit concerned about developing a thyroid storm..Is this a common occurrence when taking this  hormone?

Respected Contributor

Re: my thyroid hormone needs adjusting

@cherry wrote:

I just got a call from my Drs office telling me to cut back my armour, by 1/2  pill pr week. It doesn't seem like much ,but ,I know these pills  are powerful

I will be tested again in 2 months. I have never had this happen before ,and I am a bit concerned about developing a thyroid storm..Is this a common occurrence when taking this  hormone?

Hi @cherry   While I'm NOT an expert by any means on this subject, I have limited info to just mention to you.  Don't worry!  It can take quite some time to find just the right amount of meds.  Rarely is the initially-prescribed dosage "perfect."  Usually takes some tweaking, and it's always very small tweaks.  I have to mention, though, just to make sure that the Armour med is THE BEST med for you.  I know for the majority of thyroid med users, Synthroid is typically the most-prescribed and best option, but everyone is different.  Again, I'm not an expert, just someone who had hyperthyroidism 10 years ago and went through this similar situation.  I was lucky to only need a very, very, very low dosage, was on it a short time, and have been in "remission" for 8 years.  Obviously, your doctor knows what's best for you, but YOU need to be your own advocate so don't hesitate to speak up and and ask questions.  Best of luck!  

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood  I can only take Armour ,all the other stuff makes me deathy ill. I have been taking it for 6 years ,and have never had any problems..I could tell something wasn't right ,but, wasn't quite sure what it was

Respected Contributor

@cherry  HI!    Ohhh, so you've been on this stuff and dealing with this for a while.  I guess I should have asked, but it kinda sounded to me as if this was all new to you and you were wondering.  Sorry.  Wow, I had no idea the other stuff was making you so sick, that's terrible.  Well, just be sure to be in contact with your doc and follow orders, get your labs done, etc.  Just try not to worry.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks. I have read about thyroid storms ,and I hope I never have one of those

Respected Contributor

What are thyroid storms ?

Honored Contributor

I think it is just the inability for your thyroid to remain stable, and it swings from hyper, to hypo @BeccaLou

Honored Contributor

A thyroid storm -- or thyroid crisis -- can be a life-threatening condition. It often includes a rapid heartbeat, fever, and even fainting.

Your thyroid is a master at managing your body. The hormones produced by this gland located at the base of your neck help control your metabolism. That’s how quickly your body processes food, converts it to energy, and runs your organs.

Thyroid storm can be brought on by a number of ailments. One of them, Graves’ disease, causes the thyroid to overproduce hormones (hyperthyroidism). When it happens suddenly, you can have a thyroid storm. It can come on within hours and may require immediate hospitalization.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@BarbiHollywood  I can only take Armour ,all the other stuff makes me deathy ill. I have been taking it for 6 years ,and have never had any problems..I could tell something wasn't right ,but, wasn't quite sure what it was

@cherry .... Hi Cherry .... I have been taking Armour since 1992 .... I cannot take anything else as it all bothers me & doesn't work .... I have blood work done every 3 months & if I need to have an adjustment in the dosage my doctor lets ne know ..... there was a time about 5 years ago that Armour was taken off the market because the Pharmaceutical company (Forrest)  could not get the dosages right on a few of the strengths..... Armour is a natural thyroid hormone which they get from a pig or cow or some other animal & as a result they sometimes have problems ..... when Armour was taken off the market I went to a Compounding Facility & had them compound the medicine for me & it worked fine ...I wish you  good luck 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 @cherry  My mom's PCP had to have her do the same thing. She had her thyroid removed in the mid-1950's and couldn't take the synthentic med.

Yes, Cherry, tweeking the thyroid medications is done to keep your body in balance. A small change in dosage can make a huge difference in how you feel. Your PCP knows exactly what he/she is doing. Best wishes.  BTW:  I've never heard of a "thyroid storm". Mom lived until age 94; she passed away in 2017. Don't fret over things that seldom happen.

Money screams; wealth whispers.