Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you be shocked if your dentist told you to do this?

Not that big of a deal.  You could have said you didn't feel comfortable doing it and would rather come in. Embroidery scissors are not razor sharp.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

On Monday I had periodontal work done way at the back of my bottom right jaw. The stitched he put in are dissolvable but he left the end of the thread/floss/whatever a little too long, and it's been touching my gum and hurts a little.

On Wednesday I called the periodontist to report this and get some relief; the man who "did"me is on vacation so his partner took the call and he told me to use EMBROIDERY scissors to snip off the extra floss.

I was so shocked I couldn't think of what to say. He actually told me to stick some razor sharp, possibly not sterile enough,blades into a space I can 't see into and start snipping!

Maybe he just didn't feel like going to the office after hours to treat a patient; I don't know.

I'm going to talk to my dentist, who referred me to him, and let her know about this. I think she'll be very unhappy about this and I hope she or someone tells that periodontist NOT to give that kind of advice to a patient again.

This is standard practice and it worked for me with 3 gum surgeries.  I wiped the blades of a manicure scissors with alcohol and ... voila!!!

Frequent Contributor

I work for a dentist. To me this isn’t a big deal but I can understand for a patient that may not be the case. It sounds like the periodontist had you do essentially what they’d do had you gone in. Maybe they thought they’d save you the time coming in? But honestly as someone who works in dental, it’s not a big deal that they told you to do that.
Honored Contributor

That's awful.  I had quite a bit of dental surgery a few years ago and that same thing happened to me.  I think it's fairly common.  No way would a dentist come in after hours for something minor like that.   I remember my dental surgeon told me to drop in anytime that was convenient and any of the dentists there would snip it for me.  Which I did, he was there so he did it, it took about 3 seconds.  Telling the patient to get some scissors and do it herself is unprofessional and just plain wrong.  

Honored Contributor

That happened to me when I had an apicoectomy. The stitches were too tight with hanging string. I went back to the dentist so he could fix it. I'm not trying to take care of that myself. Had to have an apicoectomy because my crown fell off & I got an infection. I don't need another infection trying to deal with the string & tightness.

I also had to go back once when I had a tooth prepped for a crown. When I bit down I would hit the ceiling. The dentist had to grind off a tiny spot that made the pain go away. Could not believe that small place caused to much pain.

Honored Contributor

I echo like many before me: Mountain out of Molehill

Answer to the OP question...no, I would snip & get relief

Honored Contributor

Would I be shocked if my dentist told me to do that?  No - because I'd never call him in the first place.  I'd just snip the stitch.

Honored Contributor

I'd just snip it myself, but I don't think a dentist should tell you to do that.

I'm just a rebel, I guess.

ha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FuzzyFace  To expound on my Smiley Surprised, I think it's unfortunately the new way of the world to not inconvenience yourself or self sacrifice to help a patient especially when a mistake has been made or your patient may need a little extra something for full satisfaction.

My biggest pet peeves have come with healthcare where they don't seem to remember that while this may be their umpteenth procedure, it's your first and all the emotion and fear that go with someone who may be hurting, uncomfortable, not a medical person, etc...

There is no empathy anymore in a lot of areas for first timers and that's not okay.  

While I wouldn't expect anyone to come in during off hours for a non-emergency, if it's that simple, all that was required was for him to offer to see you in the morning and have a staff person snip it. 

And he could have also made the suggestion that, or if you're comfortable doing it, here's how you can accomplish it at home with the right tools and instructions.  

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about not accepting bad customer service or you not being tough enough during a medical recovery.  Service is not what it should be in a lot of places and the world is a lesser place because of it.  

Honored Contributor

Do you steralize your forks?  Food? Drinks?  Tap water?  Toothpaste?