Respected Contributor

Re: Welcome to the March Exercise Thread

Morning, we are under a Winter Weather Advisory.   Snowing now  Smiley Sad

I did the BodyGym this morning and the Leg Magic...Upper body 3 sets of 15 reps and used weights for the last set just to change it up...10's, 8's and 5's...then did some Russian twists for the abs.   

Not much going on here except laundry..

Nomless I'll let you know how the lactaid tablets I have work.  I tried some Greek Yogurt this morning and took 1 tablet...

Cool that your gym has those weight machines.  I"d love to be able to use machines like that.

Laura you hang in there, we're here for you....just do what you can and never give up!

Take good care everyone, tomorrow's April thread already has 2 posts...  

Honored Contributor

Thank you.  You all are so sweet.  I'm trying not to post anymore negativity in this thread. 

My last post on the subject is that I stopped the medicine at night.  It only got me through about 4-5 hours and then wore off and it's not worth the risk anymore.  I'm way past when you should be taking NSAIDS.  Of course that means I haven't really slept in two to three nights.  My coworkers and customers love me right about now.  I found that an ice pack helped and then didn't really last night.  And a heating pad helps somewhat and then didn't.  

I went to the store and played a little hooky from work.  I grabbed some IcyHots which I know really stay active for a long time.  I've used them  in the past when I've wrenched my back.  I've done the salonpas the last few nights and they only work for a few hours so I'm hoping the switch will help get me more hours.  I've also got some generic BenGay and a real cooling gel pak which I think will work better than a towel and bag of ice since it's more comfortable and I can strap it in place.

I also stopped the gym as of Monday since my hips are bothering me too and I think I am just really overworked on the bottom end of things between cycling three times and week and 16 miles of walking on the weekends.  I am going to stop all activity except some yoga and the BodyGym for the next week too.  That will give me about two weeks off.  

If I don't feel better or have some signs of improvement by then, I'll be taking myself to the doctor although I'm not sure whether a chiropractor or urgent care would be better.  I am really confused.  This is all on me since I have a huge deductible and I want to go to the place that can give me an answer quickly without fooling around and wasting money.  I've never been to a chiropractor so I have no idea if that would be the right place or if a true medical facility is better.

I am so frustrated because I have never had health problems or injuries like this.  Especially one where I could not sleep.  I hate it.  To the point where I'm either really angry or really tearful.  I almost wish I had never ever started doing the right thing and exercising.  Not something to post on this thread which is why it is my last word on this subject.

Thank you all so much for all the encouragement over the past several months.  For the record, I did get a lot of reps in on the Body Gym this morning before work..  Upper body and abs only so I did do something since I can't sleep.       

@bopper  I hope your weather improves.  We've got strong storms coming in here.  If your supermarket sells soy yogurt, I'm almost positive that is lactose free.  My store sells a brand called So Delicious I think it is?  And I have seen those tablets being talked about.  I have some for when I eat big salads since I love bell peppers but they don't like me all the time. 

@nomlessYour gym sounds wonderful.  Careful with the weights though!  Start off light and don't hurt yourself.  I demand to be the only limping poster child here.  Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for listening to my last gripe and I'll check in with my yoga and BG.  Heart  Heart

Trusted Contributor

Greetings all, I would like to join you as you wrap up March and enter April! I have to get serious here because my annual biometric screening for work will be coming up and I want to get a few pounds off and have good numbers.

We have an incentive at work that if you sign up for it early rather than at the last minute, you're entered in a raffle.  I printed off blank calendars for March and April and came up with a legend:

N = good nutrition met

E = exercised

W = walked

Y = yoga

And after my WW meeting I write in the weight, too.  It's a good incentive!

Laura - I am also recovering from an awful episode of back pain coupled with an RA flare.  It was so bad I missed a few days from work.  Something inspired me to research acupuncturists in my area and I was drawn to a woman.  I've treated witih her twice now and love her.   Good luck with your back pain - it's awful to live with.  Woman Sad

Yesterday I did this free, eight minute yoga to release the neck and shoulders while at the office:   SaraBethYoga Yoga for Neck & Shoulder Tension; I also went for a walk at lunch then had acupuncture, cupping and massage after work.

I'm glad March is drawing to a close - it's been a l-o-n-g month and I had lots of health struggles!  Bring on April!

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover  Welcome!!  I'm so glad you made it over!  Thank you for the yoga info.  I am going to try and get back into that on my own so I'm looking for what's out there.  Great plan and I love that calendar idea.  I may steal it to log some stuff on my own.

Also, thanks for the recommendations.  I have bellyached enough about my own issues for the past two months so I am moving on to keep this thread on track but thank you very much.  So glad you're here!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Pilates, welcome.  We'd love to have you join in.  I use a calendar, too, and write down my workout every day.  It helps me stay on track.

Laura, don't be concerned about fretting here.  We've all done it and will do so again, no doubt.  I just hope you can find relief.  A good rest will do no harm and could help, so go for it.  I get your frustration about what kind of doc to see, should that be necessary down the road.  Maybe it won't come to that.

Bopper, more snow for you.  Sigh.  I hope it melts quickly.

I went to the workout room to do cardio but they're doing construction on the other side of the wall and the hammering made me crazy.  I quit after 10 minutes and decided today will be a rest day.

Oh....did you see the video of the 78 year old woman deadlifting 225 lbs? Good for her!  Wish I could do that.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning! My final workout for March was also a lunch walk and the same free yoga on Youtube.  I was still pretty loopy from the massage and acupuncture, and was too tired to do the PIlates workout I had planned after work.  On to April! See you all there! Woman Very Happy