Respected Contributor

Well, more specifically, mine is trigger thumb. I use my thumb a lot to change the TV remote and I think I might have overdone it. LOL!!!

I got a cortisone shot ten days ago and have worn the splint on my thumb 24/7 for a week...now I am to wear the splint only at night for another week or two. I actually think my thumb is worse now.

Have any of you gotten better from this without having to have surgery? Geez, I really don't want to go there. And let me just say for the record, you sure don't appreciate the thumb on your dominate hand until you don't have the use of it. I think it might be the most important digit of them all!  

Thanks for any help,

pup    

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trigger finger, anyone???

Sorry about your thumb! I had this a couple years ago. Not so great when you are a harpist! I had to turn down playing for weddings!

I read everything I possibly could on the subject. The most I did was to massage natural ointments on my troubled thumb. I don't know if that did anything or not.

Other than that, I just let it alone, and to tell the truth, prayed healing. Surgery was out of the question for me. I did not splint it at all. It did eventually go away. The best it felt was when I applied heat of some kind. Like wrapping my hand around a coffee/tea cup! Smiley Happy Or, when I gripped my steering wheel after it had been in the warm sunshine.

All back to normal now, but it did take months. 

I am still curious as to whatever happened in my case!

I would say, try to use your thumb as best you can, and apply heat to the area. (You only want to immobilize for bone healing.)

Prayers for your healing!!

Respected Contributor

@Harpa, thank you so much for your reply. At least there is some hope! Wow, that must have really been tough for you being a harpist.

I was kinda surprised when the ortho I saw told me it was trigger thumb. I typically diagnose myself well before I ever even see a doctor, but I missed the boat on this one. Ha! I saw the doctor primarily to regroup on the carpal tunnel diagnosis I got last year. I've also got arthritis in my hands so I figured he would tell me my thumb pain was just that...learn to live with it. Next thing I know it's trigger thumb and I'm getting an injection and a custom formed splint....and no use of my thumb for a week!

One question, if you don't mind. Did your thumb catch when you would bend it? Mine does, along with pain in the joint where the thumb joins my hand.

Thanks very much for the help, and best to YOU!

pup  

Respected Contributor

I have this also.  I just take some Celebrex and rest it.  Sign of the times.  Between using the remote and all my other devices I use that thumb alot!!

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@Harpa, thank you so much for your reply. At least there is some hope! Wow, that must have really been tough for you being a harpist.

I was kinda surprised when the ortho I saw told me it was trigger thumb. I typically diagnose myself well before I ever even see a doctor, but I missed the boat on this one. Ha! I saw the doctor primarily to regroup on the carpal tunnel diagnosis I got last year. I've also got arthritis in my hands so I figured he would tell me my thumb pain was just that...learn to live with it. Next thing I know it's trigger thumb and I'm getting an injection and a custom formed splint....and no use of my thumb for a week!

One question, if you don't mind. Did your thumb catch when you would bend it? Mine does, along with pain in the joint where the thumb joins my hand.

Thanks very much for the help, and best to YOU!

pup  

Yes, my thumb did "catch," and I did have discomfort. I didn't know what was going on until someone spotted the "catching," and mentioned, "trigger."

(I don't know how helpful this next suggestion is for your carpal tunnel...I don't know if I really ever had that...but a long time ago a doctor gave advice about how to avoid/treat that, and it is to eat eggs every day, if I remember, for the high vit B6...?)

Yes, I certainly would like my hands (et. al.) to stay flexible. I may not get eggs every day, but I take supplements -- fish oil, hylauronic acid, MSM -- for that purpose.

Best wishes, pupwhipped!!

Honored Contributor

I was scheduled for surgery for my trigger thumb but canceled it after reading about how it is caused by vitamin deficiency. I decided to try supplementing with P-5-P, a special form of B-6, to see if it might actually help. After starting P5P my thumb never once locked out & my thumb's range of motion gradually improved. That was over a year ago. I continue to use P5P. It is an inexpensive and safe fix. 

Honored Contributor

In the last year or so, my thumb will cramp up & I have to use the other hand to work the cramp out. Is that some of it? Never heard of a trigger finger.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa, @willdob3, and @meem120, thank you all very much. As I always say, misery loves company. Ha! But really, it is nice to know of others who have the same thing, and to feel that you're not alone.

I think there may be something to this vitamin deficiency for me. Unfortunately, I've been taking PPI's (pantoprazole currently) for GERD for several years. I have a hiatal hernia, too large esophageal opening, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, use of these PPI's supposedly can hinder absorption of vitamins like B12 and B6. I likely need to supplement more. FWIW, I am currently trying to cut my pantoprazole dose by half...doing it slowly trying to avoid rebound reflux.

Okay, you've likely heard enough about my health history here. But, if anyone can comment on these thoughts, please do so. We truly learn so much from each other.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them very much.

pup          

Super Contributor

I was told to stretch the finger/thumb...pulling it backwards and holding it, repeating throughout the day. I was having issues with both my thumb and index finger. Doing these stretches have made a world of difference for me.

The older I get, the more I learn the importance of stretching every darn part of my body. Never needed to do any of this stuff when I was younger...things change and now I'm a huge believer.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Honored Contributor

I believe the recommended amount of P5P (do not use plain B6 as it does not work & supposedly can even be harmful) is 50mg 3 times per day. I take 100mg because, at that level, it may have benefits for eyes, too.