Respected Contributor

Re: Health Scare I want to share

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm glad you are on the mend.  For years, thanks to WW, I got into the habit of drinking water.  I didn't always stick to the 64oz rule but I got close.  Fairly recently I was having bouts of UTIs and my doctor told me the general rule of thumb is that you should drink your weight in ounces of water.  So if you weigh 110 pounds, you should drink 110 ounces of water.

If I needed to drink as much as I weight, I'd need an IV going into me and I'd never be out of the

@Lipstickdiva - that sounds like waaaaay too much water for one person - eight (8) oz glasses are recommended online - I can't imagine drinking that much water - I think I would literally drown - don't think too much water is good for your kidneys either.  I think your dr needs to check his sources on that one. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:
FYI for those counting coffee, if it's caffeinated, the caffeine is a diuretic and actually pulls water out of your body. So you really need to drink water to counteract that effect.

@Laura14, it's actually a myth that coffee (or tea) don't hydrate as much as water. I learned that from my doctor long ago. In fact, here is a summary of one of the clinical studies that was done to test this very thing.

Respected Contributor

I see one person mentioned coffee being water. Coffee is not water. Coffee is coffee. Tea is tea. Both coffee and most teas have diuretic properties, meaning they'll help you lose water, not keep it.

Juice is a food. Watermelon is a food. Grapes are a food. All of them have high water content, but as foods, they require water for processing.

Your body is 60% water. That's not 60% coffee or smoothies or sorbet. It's water.

In your water counts, only water counts. It's really simple. Prosit!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
FYI for those counting coffee, if it's caffeinated, the caffeine is a diuretic and actually pulls water out of your body. So you really need to drink water to counteract that effect.

This is the truth, and I don't give a hoot how many studies are published that say other beverages can stand in for water. I know the way I feel if I substitute coffee and decaf for my water. I feel like death warmed over. I get my dehydration headache. It takes hours for it to go away.

Drink water. Good, clean, plain old water.  Your body craves it if you're not giving it enough. 

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14, it's actually a myth that coffee (or tea) don't hydrate as much as water. I learned that from my doctor long ago. In fact, here is a summary of one of the clinical studies that was done to test this very thing.

@AspenGrove  Thank you!  I really appreciate that.  I am studying to go into pharmacy and I love all the medical info I can get.  

To be clear, caffeine is a diuretic and does pull water from the body.  Is it going to completely dehydrate you?  As this study showed, in moderation, no.  

BUT, caffeine does pull water so if you are drinking a lot or also pounding those power drinks or sodas with it, etc....just FYI, you may be slightly or more significantly counteracting what you are trying to do.   

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 -- exactly.  My doc was describing my normal 2 cups of coffee each morning, noting that it does indeed count as water intake. I also never drink soda or any "power" drinks. I drink good ol' water! But my doc also told me that the 8 cup/day rule is a myth. Every body (literally and figuratively!) has different needs. Hydrating regularly throughout the day is the way to go; gulping down a crazy amount of water per day is not. My doc's words of wisdom have kept me healthy and hydrated! 

Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Laura14 -- exactly.  My doc was describing my normal 2 cups of coffee each morning, noting that it does indeed count as water intake. I also never drink soda or any "power" drinks. I drink good ol' water! But my doc also told me that the 8 cup/day rule is a myth. Every body (literally and figuratively!) has different needs. Hydrating regularly throughout the day is the way to go; gulping down a crazy amount of water per day is not. My doc's words of wisdom have kept me healthy and hydrated! 

@AspenGrove - I totally agree - every body is different.  Today I've had around 56 oz and my kidneys aren't screaming.  If I go the 64 oz - my kidneys hurt me all night long.  Maybe in the future I can deal with the 64, but my body has gone without that amount of water a long time - I'm working up to it. 

Honored Contributor

I like this statement - 

"The solution to pollution is dilution"

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, wow that was quite a scare!  I am rarely thirsty so drinking rarely occurs to me.  I like my coffee and iced tea but rarely drink water...I guess I need to work on drinking more.

Glad you are feeling better!

Honored Contributor

This is a wake-up call for me, too. Thanks for posting.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all