Honored Contributor

We have a good friend about 91 years old that has suffered with the aftermath of shingles for years....we saw him today and he is in a lot of pain...walks all stooped over.  He is in excellent health other that this issue.

He is a veteran so goes to the VA for medical issues, he was granted special permission to go to a plain clinic but it did not help.  He has been to see 7 different doctors, a pain clinc and many medications, nothing helps.  He has had a nerve block too, it did not help. 

Any advice for me or has anyone suffered this much and gotten help.

He was going to be enrolled in a 'study' but he was already taking the drug they were studying......thanks for any help...

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

Has he tried acupuncture?

Respected Contributor

It's called postherpetic neuralgia - you might do some research on it and see what you can find.  I really feel for your friend - it just must be awful pain. 

Honored Contributor

My 82 year old aunt suffers with after effects of shingles, but she does get relief when she takes the Ativan her doctor prescribes. He also gave her Ambien for the sleepness nights, but she doesn't take it because she's afraid of falling. She too is in so called great shape for her age, but she has no great quality of life at this point. I guess you can get used to anything though.

Honored Contributor

To think people would rather risk ending up in this shape rather than get a pinprick of a shot that might have prevented it.  These poor people probably got shingles before the immunization was available.  I wouldn't risk going through this and ruining my life for anything. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624.....I do not know if he had a shot or not....he got shingles when taking care of his wife who had a stroke...he did not get any medical help when the shingles appeared.  He has been suffering for many years.

Honored Contributor

My mother dealt with the aftermath of shingle pain for nearly a year after her outbreak, but her pain was controllable.   I've never heard of someone suffering this long without finding something that brought relief.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop....we feel so bad for him......he lovingly cared for his wife until her death.....his daughters do go with him to his doctors appointments.

.....if there is something I learn from posters here I will for sure talk to his daughters.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Kachina624.....I do not know if he had a shot or not....he got shingles when taking care of his wife who had a stroke...he did not get any medical help when the shingles appeared.  He has been suffering for many years.

I've read that shingles commonly occur when a person is under unusual stress which results in lowered immunity. That's why it most commonly affects seniors... less immunity as we age. 

I had a co-worker who eventually died of AIDS, but his first symptom of a lowered immunity was shingles.   @Mom2Dogs your friend was probably under unusual stress because of his wife. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Individuals with autoimmune diseases cannot take this shot because it is a live virus.  So not everyone can have the ability to prevent shingles.