Respected Contributor

I have the Nike Sportsband and and I love it. I was considering the Fitbit but I am really not concerned with my sleep patterns but I wanted to be able to track my running by miles. So the Nike Sportsband worked for me. I do have the Nike Fuelband too but that one didn't track millage.

Deb

Honored Contributor
On 5/18/2014 momtodogs said:

I understand what the FitBit is but if it is on your wrist and you move your hands a lot would't that skew the numbers?

It counts some arm movements, but not small ones. If I wave at a friend, it will count that. It doesn't count my typing. My arms are still when I push my grocery cart, but it counts my steps. You also set it to be on your dominant or non-dominant hand, which helps calibrate for some movement.

The way I see it, all of these devices are guides, not absolutes. I've used a lot of pedometers and none have been 100% accurate, but they give me a good idea of what I've done. The FitBit trackers are the same, only they upload the information to a portal which gives me better analytics than a pedometer does.

I'm not looking for an exact count of my steps as much as I'm looking for trends - did I move more today than I did yesterday? If not, can I move more tomorrow? Can I set a goal and match or exceed it? It's not about the exact number of steps, it's not like I need that number for a legal and indisputable document. I want to note trends and be motivated daily. That's what the FitBit helps me do

Occasional Contributor

Hi...

Thanks to all that responded to my post...I need to be more consistent with my little Zip...I received an email from FitBit about a 30 day Summer Challenge...this will keep me motivated and I will be wearing my Zip for the next 30 days at the least....Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Honored Contributor
On 5/21/2014 lovebug3399 said:

Hi...

Thanks to all that responded to my post...I need to be more consistent with my little Zip...I received an email from FitBit about a 30 day Summer Challenge...this will keep me motivated and I will be wearing my Zip for the next 30 days at the least....Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Is this challenge on the main Fitbit website in one of the communities? There are communities for every group imaginable out there!!

Occasional Contributor

Hi...

It is on their website...hope this helps... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Is a fit bit like a pedometer?

Super Contributor

I got mine, the Flex, two weeks ago yesterday. I love it. Got my first 50 mile badge yesterday. I log every bite I eat in it . . . keeps me honest . . . that 10 pounds I always wanted to lose had turned into 15 pounds, not good, and I've already lost 6 of it in two weeks.

I had bought quite a few items at Kohl's recently and had Kohl's Cash to spend so it was basically *FREE* . . . since all I spend Kohl's Cash on these days is kcups since they changed the policy on them and IF you return the item you lose the cash . . .unless you exchange for something the exact exact same price which is not easy to do. Yay for *free*. Smiley Happy

The sleep feature is very interesting. I had to change it back to normal . .. sensitive was way too sensitive. Most nights I'm @ 94% or above efficiency. Drinking almost 80 oz of water per day these days . . . 100% is impossible. Smiley Happy

I wear it on my right wrist although I'm left handed and I have the right wrist selected as my "dominant" hand even though it isn't so it adjusts somewhat for extra hand motions/movements.

Logging food is much easier than MyFitnessPal . . .but then I tend to eat a lot of the same things for breakfast & lunch . . . so just a click.

Logging water helps keep me on track . . . just a click.

And I downloaded the app to my android phone so it automatically updates and then a sync regularly when I'm on my laptop too.

I have some Tanita scales . . . with body fat . . . for whatever that is worth but I am tempted by the Aria (sp?) Fitbit one . . . maybe next time I have some Kohl's Cash to splurge with. Smiley Happy

So now, 8 or 9 pounds to go and I will be at my GOAL WEIGHT!

Honored Contributor
On 5/20/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 5/18/2014 momtodogs said:

I understand what the FitBit is but if it is on your wrist and you move your hands a lot would't that skew the numbers?

It counts some arm movements, but not small ones. If I wave at a friend, it will count that. It doesn't count my typing. My arms are still when I push my grocery cart, but it counts my steps. You also set it to be on your dominant or non-dominant hand, which helps calibrate for some movement.

The way I see it, all of these devices are guides, not absolutes. I've used a lot of pedometers and none have been 100% accurate, but they give me a good idea of what I've done. The FitBit trackers are the same, only they upload the information to a portal which gives me better analytics than a pedometer does.

I'm not looking for an exact count of my steps as much as I'm looking for trends - did I move more today than I did yesterday? If not, can I move more tomorrow? Can I set a goal and match or exceed it? It's not about the exact number of steps, it's not like I need that number for a legal and indisputable document. I want to note trends and be motivated daily. That's what the FitBit helps me do

I LOVE my FitBit Zip and wear it constantly...BUT...

I did 28 minutes on the treadmill yesterday as a warm up...3 MPH...then an hour of XFit.

The XFit was intense...but it didn't register as strenuous exercise...just the 28 minutes warm up. The XFit was rowing, weight lifting, sideplanks, etc. so it registered as activity, just not towards my strenuous activity.

Super Contributor

I plan on logging my Chalean, Zumba, Insanity etc. etc. as cardio/strenuous activity and rely on the fitbit more for steps . . . unless it had a built-in heart rate monitor I don't think it or other types are capable of interpreting such activities and ones individual exertion level.

Honored Contributor
On 5/22/2014 Qwackertoo said:

I plan on logging my Chalean, Zumba, Insanity etc. etc. as cardio/strenuous activity and rely on the fitbit more for steps . . . unless it had a built-in heart rate monitor I don't think it or other types are capable of interpreting such activities and ones individual exertion level.

Zumba is constant movement, so it will probably track as strenuous activity.

Floor excercises or weight don't.