Esteemed Contributor

HELPFUL TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS...

[ Edited ]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good morning!

Let’s use this thread to post what we’ve learned about the “new and exciting changes” we’ve had to slog thru for the last few days.  If we just post tips and detailed instructions here, we can utilize it for reference (rather than questions since Q has a few threads for that already).

I’m going to start with some things I’ve seen this morning just stumbling blindly around the site.  Please copy and post here anything you might see that will help us.  Hopefully, this thread will be helpful and not be deserving in some way of snark LOL!  I actually have a job and work to do, but in the interest of my sanity, I need a place to put this kind of info, so I’ve been copying/pasting info from contributors into a word doc and thot I’d share.

I suspect that some of these instructions work for some users and some instructions do not.  Some of us see the icons or keys or boxes or dots or crumbs; some of us don’t.  Seems like that may be related to different devices and browsers. 

Many of the tips herein are from ChynnaBlue, which I didn’t necessarily attribute to her (no time…missed it…forgot…flying by the seat of my pants here).  I ask for her forgiveness and I give her a big Salute, a bigger Heart, and the biggest Thank You…she has been exceptional in her detailed instructions for us.  I hope she sees this and gives us more tips, as well as many of you who have been most helpful!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looking for a contributor?  There may be an easier way, but I searched for ChynnaBlue in the search forums and blogs/community box.  A bunch of topics/posts came up which had nothing to do with ChynnaBlue (but I’m guessing they had maybe the word “blue” in them??).  HOWEVER, on the left sidebar, there was a search area.  I was able to search by author (ChynnaBlue) and VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!  Topics where she had posted came up!!!!!!!  You should scroll down that sidebar and check “by type of post = forums.” 

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From IamMrsG:

I just 'discovered' "View discussion in a popup."  When you are replying to a post, but not quoting it, then want to refer back to something in the post to which you are replying, scroll down and click onto "View discussion in a popup."   It will open the thread in a new window for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From several Q contributors:

The infamous 3 grey dots:  If you see them in your response, hover your curser over them and you’ll get a menu which includes “Edit.”  Hit “edit.”  If you do not see the dots, hover your curser over the upper right hand corner…try hovering ALL around that area…of your response box and the edit menu might miraculously pop up.

IamMrsG:

…you can go straight to the last reply in a thread by clicking onto the line that tells you how long ago it was posted.  It's on the Forums homepage, the far right column reading "Posted."   Further from other contributors:  On the Forums/Blogs homepage, depending on your particular view, you might see columns with headings:  “Subject” “Replies” “New” “Author” “Hearts” and the “Latest Post” on the far right.  If there’s a number under the “New” column, click on that number and it should take you to that post (which should be the 1st post after the one you previously read). 

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you see this message after you hit "post"

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Hit "post" again...it seems to override the message and posts anyway...?

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thx for responding ChynnaBlue...and for the links...exactly what I'm looking for!

I, too, have done my fair share in the RW (back in the day) of preping training docs and enjoyed it very much...I'm quite organized!  This was both before and after computers...you can image my surprise when I saw the word "macro!!" 

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From ChynnaBlue:

Tagging:

Right now I'm tagging lots of things just to build the tag cloud (list of tags). I tag my own posts with key words, like WEN, Movies, Recipes, etc. You can add multiple tags, so I might use something like "WEN, Coconut, Seasonal." Tagging content with key words helps people filter the forums by clicking on a tag under TOP Tags (left menu of a main forum topic, like Beauty) or from the tag cloud on my own profile. I just tagged this post with the keyword tags "Tagging, Forums, Signature" so that you can click on any of those things in the tag cloud or search for those words and this post will show up in the list of results.

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From Gr8DaneLv:  Where it says "Album: Profile (your nic) you will see "Image Options" above it. Click on it to pull down the menu, then select "Delete Image". It will then take you to the Confirmation page an ask you "Are you sure you want to delete this image?"

Esteemed Contributor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...upload an image without having to use a third-party site to host it...it keeps pictures in a library so that we can reuse them without having to upload them again....

This is how it worked on my Mac.  

1-Click "reply", like you're replying to the post.  That will bring up the different tools at the top of the reply box.

2- Click on Insert/edit image icon which is 2 icons to the right of the smiley face.

3-Next to the word "image", there's a little box.  In the little box is says choose file.  Click in the little box.

4-That should bring your photo library up.  Find the picture you want to post and click on it once.

5-then, at the bottom of your photo library, it will say cancel  and choose.  Click on choose and that did it for me.

After I click on the insert image icon, which I have been doing, no little box comes up.