Super Contributor

How to increase "D" without a prescription... Any suggestions???

Super Contributor

You could go in the sun for 15 minutes per day and/or take over the counter vitamin D.

Honored Contributor

I use this product. You can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe or amazon, or any vitamin/health shop.. It is food sourced and an excellent combination so the vitamins are delivered properly. It is hugely popular and has great reviews. Most calcium and D products can be ground shale, shell, etc. This comes from organic food sources. It is fairly inexpensive

Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Vitamin D3 -- 60 Vegetarian Capsules

Trusted Contributor

My DH was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency about 5 years ago. After 6 months of being on weekly mega doses of vitamin d the doctor suggested trying a daily supplement.

He started with 2000 ius daily and that didn't keep his levels up, so then he tried 5000 ius daily. He is able to keep his vitamin d level up with this amount. I usually pick up the CVS brand from the store.

Super Contributor

Prescription vitamin D is a synthetic form of vitamin D.( vitamin D-2). It only comes is a 50,000 IU dose. The synthetic form of D is the only way Pharmaceutical companies can sell it... they can not patent the natural form legally-

The natural vitamin D-3 is better absorbed than the synthetic form. The source of the natural is often times from Lanolin in the supplement form. Easy to absorb by the body and inexpensive which keeps costs down so everyone can afford it. You can find a few brands on the market that are from fish liver... not lanolin, and they usually cost a bit more.. not better absorbed than lanolin though.... read your labels and know your source if that is important to you. You can buy it as high as 5000 to 10,000 IU over the counter health food stores, online, all over. Just be sure it says Vitamin D-3. You will need just to take a few more of the small little pills to equal the dose of the synthetic form.

Since vitamin D-3 is so INEXPENSIVE( cheap actually!!), why not just take it instead of the fake form.... and better absorb it? I alway question when people say their doctor gave them a prescription of vitamin D. The doctor NEVER tells the patients it is synthetic. Wonder Why???

Just ask your doctor how much he wants you to take, and take that dose just as you would the prescription dose.

Super Contributor
On 5/22/2014 Sunshine said:

You could go in the sun for 15 minutes per day and/or take over the counter vitamin D.

the Sunshine way of "getting" your vit. D is not as predicable.... the older we get it is hard for our bodies to manufacture it from the skin, also people of color had a more difficult time absorbing it.

Valued Contributor

I use Vitamin Shoppe brand Vitamin D drops 2000 units. You could put them in liquid,etc. Make sure to have a little fat when taking so they will be better absorbed.

Respected Contributor

Nature's Made liquid softgels.

However, just taking the supplement may not be enough to bring your counts up. You may in fact need a prescription. I certainly did.

Super Contributor
On 5/22/2014 shoekitty said:

I use this product. You can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe or amazon, or any vitamin/health shop.. It is food sourced and an excellent combination so the vitamins are delivered properly. It is hugely popular and has great reviews. Most calcium and D products can be ground shale, shell, etc. This comes from organic food sources. It is fairly inexpensive

Nature's Plus Source of Life Garden Vitamin D3 -- 60 Vegetarian Capsules

this is a new plant source Vitamin d-3 from mushrooms. So another option besides fish oil form or lanolin form.

Honored Contributor

I take 6500 IU of Andrew Lessman's Vit D3 daily. Just had mine checked & it was 62. I always stock up when he has a TS. Should have another Vit D3 TS in Oct. That's the last time I bought them at the TS price. I take it after I eat dinner with his fish oil & some other vitamins.