Respected Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman secure Bars

I keep reading the reviews and some are saying that the stevia is causing gas.  I think they are forgetting that fiber can have that effect.  I've read that drinking more water will help with that.

Respected Contributor

Yes, a lot more negative reviews have showed up.  Some complaining about the taste, a bad aftertaste and bloating/gas.

Esteemed Contributor

@sueinsf 

@sueinsf wrote:

Yes, a lot more negative reviews have showed up.  Some complaining about the taste, a bad aftertaste and bloating/gas.

I have not experience any of these reactions.  I eat 1/2 everyday and no problems.  Drink lots of water.  This might be the case.  Maybe not for everyone, but I prefer them so much more than all the so call healthy bars I have brought.

My hard to please son, who won't try anything, did with this bar, and had me order him a box.  He said good when he is playing golf and needs something quick. Hasn't had a problem with any reactions.  I never notice an after taste.

Trusted Contributor

Calling 1 bar which is 280 calories 2 meals seems like a dishonest marketing ploy.  I have not been able to find any which say 1 bar is 2 meals.  Everyone I have looked at is 1 bar equals 1 meal.  Bars marketing as meal replacement are higher in calories than Protein bars.  Andrew Lessman is obviously trying to fit into a certain nutrition profile with that label ploy.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@sueinsf 

@sueinsf wrote:

I have not experience any of these reactions.  I eat 1/2 everyday and no problems.  Drink lots of water.  This might be the case.  Maybe not for everyone, but I prefer them so much more than all the so call healthy bars I have brought.

My hard to please son, who won't try anything, did with this bar, and had me order him a box.  He said good when he is playing golf and needs something quick. Hasn't had a problem with any reactions.  I never notice an after taste.

@qvcaddition Good to know.  Most of the reviews are certainly positive but when enough people have the same complaints, it would be something to consider for some people.  

Honored Contributor

Always watch for the artificial sweetener erythritol, that is mixed with many of the artificial sweeteners on the market.  
This sweetener has been added to many, many items and it is being considered a major health risk.  The scientists considered erythritol levels to potentially grow high enough to trigger changes in platelet function.  The results they found suggest that consuming erythritol can increase clot formation.  This, in turn, could increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.

As a diabetic, I have found this sweetener mixed in with almost every item I use as a "break" from my diabetic diet.  I have all but given it all up so I'm not left with much.  But diabetics are prone to stroke and heart attacks and I'm not willing to chance it.  Anyway, just a word of warning regarding this particular sweetener..  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered 24 peanut butter and 24 coconut. I returned 24 today simply b/c 1/2 for a meal is unsatisfacory. They were so good I was eating two a day and was still hungry. 

To me, it's like having candy within reach and a strong appetite. 

Not something I will buy again. Also, very pricey for a lot of peanuts and almonds.

Respected Contributor

Appreciating all the comments, experiences, concerns in this thread.

I ordered several boxes. Created a stash, in effect. Here's why:

I am slender, not trying to skip a meal to lose weight. However, for teachers (and MANY other professions), there are times when grabbing a meal (a healthy meal not from a vending machine or cafeteria) is hard. Deciding what to pack in the morning that's easy to carry, lasts a few hours before I get to it, and is good for a heart-healthy diet is challenging.

I am also a commuter, driving several hours to/from the office.

1/2 bar is great for many schedule-laden days. I have eliminated unhealthy "snacks" from my car, but love having something on SOME days.

So, I appreciate this 1/2 bar to munch on between classes.

Still bring fruit. 

Don't use it EVERY day.

But a great completer for rushed days full of meetings.

Trusted Contributor

Count me in as not liking this product.. I found it to have an nasty aftertaste and there was some gas issues.. I use a plant based protein bar ( different brand) but like Andrew Lessman and thought i would try them. Not going to return.. Have given them away  to others to try. I see the reasoning of the 2 bar packaging.. but would have preferred single - that would not have been a deal breaker if it had been a product I would purchase again.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Always watch for the artificial sweetener erythritol, that is mixed with many of the artificial sweeteners on the market.  
This sweetener has been added to many, many items and it is being considered a major health risk.  The scientists considered erythritol levels to potentially grow high enough to trigger changes in platelet function.  The results they found suggest that consuming erythritol can increase clot formation.  This, in turn, could increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.

As a diabetic, I have found this sweetener mixed in with almost every item I use as a "break" from my diabetic diet.  I have all but given it all up so I'm not left with much.  But diabetics are prone to stroke and heart attacks and I'm not willing to chance it.  Anyway, just a word of warning regarding this particular sweetener..  

@Q4u   Fabulous reminder, thanks so much!

Yes, the sugar replacement erythritol has been linked significantly to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack (recent study). 

Stevia is the usual sweetener I see, but erythritol has been used to sweeten THAT, since stevia isn't as sweet as erythritol.

Checked the Ingredients (font 3, sigh) on Secure bars.

Sevia extract is listed, not erythritol. (Only a fool would not list an ingredient that was present, so assume it was NOT used in Secure bars.)

*I am newly educated (heart-healthy diet new) to reading labels (in spite of tiny fonts). [Shocked at the sodium levels in canned soups, yikes.] Now I will check for erythritol!