Valued Contributor

Has anyone used Freedom Care which is for folks that have Medicaid? Trying to find out more for DDIL for her parents.

Like pay scale hours,etc.

Both her parents have life threatening conditions.

He boss is threatening to fire her if she takes any more time off for them.

Respected Contributor

Hi, I do not know about Freedom Care. Medicaid benefits vary per State. Your post disturbed me because of the boss threatening to fire your family member She may be eligible for the Family Medical Leave. To be eligible, the employer has to have a certain number of employees and the employee needs to be employee for a year and work at least a certain number of hours per week, and the illness has to be serious. 

In fact, the employer may already be in violation if it did not offer her FMLA leave. Please look into this, and tell her to keep a timeline on the firing threats/comments etc. There are many videos on you tube and information about the FMLA on the Internet. 

I really hate that this poor girls parents are sick and her employer is threatening to fire her. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Freedom Care

[ Edited ]

First I've heard of Freedom Care...according to the info online only those who have Medicaid are eligible and live in the following states.... NY, NV, MO, PA, AZ, IN, or GA..I believe Oklahoma will be added to that list as of January 2024....

Valued Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Hi, I do not know about Freedom Care. Medicaid benefits vary per State. Your post disturbed me because of the boss threatening to fire your family member She may be eligible for the Family Medical Leave. To be eligible, the employer has to have a certain number of employees and the employee needs to be employee for a year and work at least a certain number of hours per week, and the illness has to be serious. 

In fact, the employer may already be in violation if it did not offer her FMLA leave. Please look into this, and tell her to keep a timeline on the firing threats/comments etc. There are many videos on you tube and information about the FMLA on the Internet. 

I really hate that this poor girls parents are sick and her employer is threatening to fire her. 

I'm not sure if the family leave act applies to a small medical office.Will look into it.

I looking to get info so I can help my sweet DIL..It's all on her and my son to deal with.They both work full time.

I live too far away to help them in person.

The least I can do is make some phone calls for her.

Honored Contributor

Re: Freedom Care

[ Edited ]

@Jo1313 I wish this was not the case, but the Federal act requires employers with 50 or more workers to comply. There might be other state acts with their own rules,

Here is where you can find out everything you need to know about the government's Family and Medical Leave Act. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjRlJWrp7n_AhUVlGoFHeDKDcoQ...

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Jo1313 I wish this was not the case, but the Federal act requires employers with 50 or more workers to comply. There might be other state acts with their own rules,

Here is where you can find out everything you need to know about the government's Family and Medical Leave Act. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjRlJWrp7n_AhUVlGoFHeDKDcoQ...

Thank you Mindy D!

Respected Contributor

@Jo1313 States have different FMLA acts too. If the small medical practice is part of a larger practice she may qualify. I am trying to give you ideas to relieve pressure on her. If she was on FMLA, the job threats would stop and she would have time to sort things out. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jo1313 Sorry to hear what's going on w/your family members.

I'm in Washington State & when my parents were declining, unsure if needed more care at home or assisted living or what they needed I was able to get I think it's called Intermittent Family Leave through my employer.  That way the small army of helpers who were w/them during the day were a great help but medical appts, investment/bank, social services I took off work to go w/them.  As it was determined they needed more help especially at night as they were becoming more aggressive I stayed with them so usually I went into work about an hour late the next day.  I don't know if this might work for your situation but maybe.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

FMLA only applies to employers with 50 or more employees.  FMLA doesn't allow a worker to take as much time off as they need, as long as they need it.  For someone working 40 hours; it's up to 40 hours a week FMLA for up to 12 weeks.  And it's not paid leave.  Although employers can allow workers to use their vacation pay or personal days.  You are hearing this second hand and your daughter in law is upset.  If she can't get FMLA, her employer has no choice but to hold her to the company's time off policy.  He might not be threatening her.  He might be warning her that her job is in jeopardy if she doesn't follow the rules.  I don't think there's anything you can do to help them through this.  I don't know where you live.  My state has offers several home healthcare plans for those who need it.  People don't necessarily have to be on Medicaid but there are income limits.  

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 @Could you post the state they live in. Someone here. Might be able to find you more information. The County would also be helpful since many counties deliver services. If either parent is a veteran, that might be helpful to know.