Respected Contributor

Re: AHA Study - Coconut Oil Not Good For You

[ Edited ]

Actually I bought Bruce Fife's book The coconut oil miracle book, which gives lots of facts and studies on people who live and eat coconut and it's oils for their life times.  They don't have health problems your are associating this oil with... 

Some are now studying using it on people with memory problems.  It seems to help many in the study but alone does not cure Alzheimer's. If you're interested google Mary Newport MD and her husband Steve.

I have had some health problems that it did cure and others it keeps at bay, My extremely dry skin is looking so much better also, and I don't need hand cream anymore. I will continue to use it and give it to my pup, since it helps with parasites.

Respected Contributor

One study does not negate all of the established science proving the health benefits of the medium chain triglycerides like lauric and capric acid against a wide variety of germs.  Coconut oil has tremendous health benefits both topically, orally, and internally.  It is unique and unlike any other oil, other than palm oil, which also contains medium chain fatty acids.  Pubmed has so many published studies on the health benefits of these medium chain triglycerides.  Canola and other oil manufacturers must be hurting something awful.  

Glad there will be more coconut oil for me, for my family, and for my dog.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Actually I bought Bruce Fife's book The coconut oil miracle book, 

Obviously the how to make $ reading books & balloon thing didn't work out.  I realize everyone has a past-time...Dr. Esselstyn was an Olympic rower and Dr. Barnard plays a guitar in a band...but balloon making made me giggle. Yeah.

IMG_1920.jpg

Honored Contributor

I have wondered about Hawaiians and other islands that consume a lot of coconut, but don't know their statistics.  My Dad used to bring the fresh coconuts home, crack them open, and we would drink the water and eat them, so grew up loving coconut.

Of course, most anything in moderation is okay, but I consume so much extra virgin olive oil that I don't need other oils, and had always read that the coconut oil is not good, but we all stick to what seems to work for us.

Valued Contributor

I will continue to take orally (in my coffee) and  use Virgin Unrefined Raw Cold Pressed  Coconut Oil on my skin, hair, etc.  I feel that it has been beneficial for me.  I also eat organic, grass fed butter and organic walnuts and pecans.   Maintaining balance is important.   I take what the AHA says with a grain of salt.....they are very politically motivated IMO.

Sugar is the huge culprit.....sugar in any form.  It is toxic to all of us. The AHA needs to expose that over and over again non stop.  

Trusted Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

One study does not negate all of the established science proving the health benefits of the medium chain triglycerides like lauric and capric acid against a wide variety of germs.  Coconut oil has tremendous health benefits both topically, orally, and internally.  It is unique and unlike any other oil, other than palm oil, which also contains medium chain fatty acids.  Pubmed has so many published studies on the health benefits of these medium chain triglycerides.  Canola and other oil manufacturers must be hurting something awful.  

Glad there will be more coconut oil for me, for my family, and for my dog.

This is exactly the information I was thinking of, @Jersey Born. Excellent..

Trusted Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I don't ingest coconut oil, but I do use it for oil pulling.

i have been under the weather for over a year and unable to get to the dentist until last month. I was anxious about the state of my teeth because I usually go twice a year for cleanings.  Well, I had no cavities, and no bleeding gums. My mouth was in good shape.

I credit the coconut oil pulling along with a rubber tipped gum stimulator for keeping my mouth in such good condition.

Thanks for sharing this, @ Montana. I've used coconut oil this way too and it works great. Also, whitens my teeth. 

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I don't ingest coconut oil, but I do use it for oil pulling.

i have been under the weather for over a year and unable to get to the dentist until last month. I was anxious about the state of my teeth because I usually go twice a year for cleanings.  Well, I had no cavities, and no bleeding gums. My mouth was in good shape.

I credit the coconut oil pulling along with a rubber tipped gum stimulator for keeping my mouth in such good condition.

My gums and teeth excellent condition. Besides checkups annual cleanings pulling along with sonic toothbrush attribute to having all my teeth. Oral care effects more than most people think. Bravo!🙋
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, those must be the fun side of Dr. Bruce Fife, and just a few of the 20 books he's written.  I have a couple of the books about cooking and baking with coconut and coconut flour.  The Cooking with Coconut Flour is really good.  My hubby is diabetic and coconut flour and almond flour have less carbs than other wheat flours.  He likes to have dessert once in awhile so I've learned to bake with these two alternative flours, and a few other nut flours.  Also, coconut flour pancakes are really good, and lower carb.

Here's his biography:

Dr. Bruce Fife, C.N., N.D., is an
author, speaker, certified nutritionist, and
naturopathic physician. He has written over
20 books. He is the publisher
and editor of the Healthy Ways
Newsletter and serves as the president of
the Coconut Research Center, a non-profit
organization whose purpose is to educate
the public and medical community about
the health and nutritional aspects of
coconut and related foods. Dr. Fife is