Super Contributor

question regarding chemo and radiation

Please do not refer me to the cancr board as it is sooooooooooooo long

Question regarding breast cancer or cancer in general

I have had breast cancer hopefully itis gone. Both chemo and radiation

I am 3 out of reatment. I still tire easy and just don't have the strenght I did have. No I am not 30 nut 60's but does this go away.

Any suggestions? My Dr says its the new norm???

Respected Contributor

Re: question regarding chemo and radiation

My Mom went through radiation (not chemo) about two years ago.  She's in her 70's.  She too said it took a lot out of her.  Tired easily, no strength...same as you.  But it did improve once the radiation was completed.  So sorry to hear you're going through this. 

Honored Contributor

I have a gym friend who had breast cancer a few years ago and she seems to be able to work out five days a week with a lot of gusto for a 70 year old.She also looks healthy and  is in good shape.I think exercise helps.

Respected Contributor

@crazered wrote:

Please do not refer me to the cancr board as it is sooooooooooooo long

Question regarding breast cancer or cancer in general

I have had breast cancer hopefully itis gone. Both chemo and radiation

I am 3 out of reatment. I still tire easy and just don't have the strenght I did have. No I am not 30 nut 60's but does this go away.

Any suggestions? My Dr says its the new norm???

I feel for your situation!

Last year I gad to work FT as a teacher (125 kiddos daily) in order to keep my halth ins; my employer legally doesnt participate in COBRA.

I have found that some kind of daily exercise for45-60 minutes, even walking (not strolling) has helped immensely w/energy level. Yoga is very good, as is beginner Pilates.

Please check your nutrition-lots of dark fruits and veggies and water.

I hope you feel back to your old self soon.

Honored Contributor

It takes a while to get your strength back.Rest for now. If you don't start to get back to normal you may need some rehab.

Honored Contributor

@crazered  Maestra has some very good advice.   I am a two year breast cancer survivor, surgery, chemo, radiation.........I am pretty good but maybe 80% of the energy level I used to have.    I do exercise daily and try to eat a good diet and keep myself well hydrated.  I think that is pretty normal.  You have to remember your body has been through a type of trauma and it does take time.  Be patient with yourself and listen to your body.   I am 56 years old and it took my illness for me to learn how to slow down when I'm not feeling well.   Best wishes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

YES it goes away. When? That's different for everyone. I think it is realistic to expect it to take a year or more before you are pretty much back to your old self. It is important to listen to and be patient with your body, rest when you can, and begin to ease back into exercise. It is sort of an up then down for a short rest then up again time. That is hard to do with work but it is important to keep your muscles strong. 

You will again have your old energy back. I had a bad case of cancer 10 years ago with lots of chemo and radiation. I was quite tired for 6 months but I could feel my energy increasing little by little after that until I was back to my former self.  

Good luck. You are on the upswing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did go to the gym 5 days a week while going through radiation and I think that helped me not feel as tired. 

However, I did crash by dinnertime and was probably getting 10-12 hours of sleep a night.

Good Luck - rest when you can and if your body is telling you its tired, take a nap. It will pass but it may take a few months after treatment to get back to "normal".

Honored Contributor

--- First and foremost---if you post on the cancer board, you WILL get many answers right away, so please use it!!! I am one of many wonderful ;-)---people that answer questions from anyone who comes there.

I had breast cancer and went thru the rads and chemo 5 + years ago and still am feeling the effects of all that. Would be nice to say that your new life will be like your old life--- but is usually won't be. I still get fatigued and still some days where I don't feel like doing much. You need to just let your body rest and heal and do things as you feel you can and it will get better but baby steps are what it takes. My strength and stamina are not back but I'll take that over the alternative. Try to eat well and think postitive. I just turned 63 so am not a spring chicken and that has an effect on how our bodies heal. Congrats on your 3 months(?) out of treatment---are you done with it all now? You are now a survivor and  thriver!!!  Please come to the cancer survivors board and let us lift your spirits!!