Super Contributor

Hi KKim!  The Living Desert is close to Rancho Mirage.  It is a fine zoo with a wonderful range of animals, from desert dwellers to animals of the African savannah.  It is not a huge facility, easily walkable, and well worth the visit.  You will,get a good overview of desert habitat along with others.

As for what to pack,travel light but be ready to layer.  The desert definitely cools down significantly at night, and daytime should be good, but you never know!  (The coldest I’ve ever been, day or night, was in Phoenix at New Years when the wind came up!)

enjoy your trip! And safe travels!

Respected Contributor
Wow- thanks Ladies for all your interesting feedback and ideas. Interesting how many of u live out there and seem to know it well. It’s a big trip for me even though it’s domestic. When I said all my clothes were black, those are my NY clothes. Lol. I’ll definitely try to add a few new colorful pieces. All of u were sweet to take the time to post. I appreciate it!
Contributor

I second the living desert. Also, the cabazon outlets are a must of you're a shopper

Trusted Contributor

@KKlim 

Another Californian here, KKlim - such terrific suggestions above, and I agree 100 percent that Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage will be glorious in November. 

Not sure if you like museum visits, but the Palm Springs Museum of Art is great. They have unusual outdoor art, including a car poised vertically on its bumper and a massive sculpture of Marilyn Monroe in her iconic white dress that blows up over her knees.

There is also a lovely restaurant in the courtyard of the museum that has salads and delicious wood-fired pizza.

In Rancho Mirage, you can visit Summerlands, which is the spectacular mid-century modern home and estate of the wealthy Annenberg family, who founded TV Guide. The outdoor grounds are impecable and the tour of the house is well worth it. But...you MUST make reservations well in advance of your departure date to tour the house.

In Palm Springs, there are so many great places to eat you will be spoiled by all the choices. Among our favorites: Trio, Las Casuelas Terrazo, Sherman's Deli and Bakery and Lulu California Bistro. All the menus to these places are online.

The tram ride is a must, as a poster above suggested. Since it is your first trip west, there are a lot of mid-century modern walking tours in Palm Springs that will highlight all the celebrity homes and famous neighborhoods filled with the best examples of mid century modern architecture on the West Coast. Very Rat Pack-inspired places where Liberace, Dinah Shore and Frank Sinatra lived and played.

Another "western" idea is Pioneertown, about 30 miles north of Palm Springs - near Joshua Tree - which is a classic cowboy town used as a set in many Westerns of the late 40s and 50s. There's a cool store with Western gear called The Hoof and Horn, and we ate really tasty burgers at Pappy and Harriet's restaurant there. Fun vibe, very surreal - you feel like Clint Eastwood will be right around the corner.

Also, Joshua Tree is a freaky national park with strange trees and desolate moonscape. It's not for everyone, but it surely is interesting if unusual nature floats your boat.

There's also the George Patton Museum, about an hour from Palm Springs, which is really worth it if you have a history buff in your group and/or a military veteran.

Finally, dates are grown in the Coachella Valley, so a quick stop at Hadley's in Carbazon is worth a visit for a super-sweet date shake - an unforgettable concoction of vanilla ice cream and chopped fresh dates.

Hope you have an amazing trip - and welcome to the West Coast! 

Respected Contributor
@MarnieRez3.. wow.. thanks again for taking your time to think about and list all your Palm Spring Area to do’s..
So much to do!! I’ll be there for a wedding at A Resort so I don’t know how much free time I’ll have to get out and explore the area. I would love to see the Art Museum and everything else you and the ladies mentioned. All of you and the travel ideas are awesome . Your lucky to live in Cali and in such a wonderful climate! Thanks again..!
Respected Contributor

@KKlim :  What we do when going somewhere we have never been before, we try to go out several days beforehand or leave a few days after our event.  Enjoy your trip!!  That is beautiful country.

Respected Contributor
Thanks @Hooverman for your tip!
Trusted Contributor
@KKlim
You are so welcome. Yes, it is hard to fit in a lot of outside travel when you're at a destination resort wedding!
My husband's family owns a home in the Las Palmas area of Palm Springs, so we spend a lot of time there in the fall and winter. (July and August, not so much...temps are well above 100, typically, and the heat is unrelenting.)
Have fun on your trip! 💙
Respected Contributor
@MarnieRez3..oh wow, Lucky you w/your hubby’s family owning a home in Palm Springs area.👍🏼 Lovely that u can enjoy yourselves in a beautiful place without having to board a plane! I wish my trip was sooner so I can tell everyone how I made out. Lol. Thanks again for all of your Trip tips! 💜
Trusted Contributor
@KKlim
How was your Palm Springs trip? I am hoping you had a marvelous time and that the rain California was having did not affect your plans. 💕