Respected Contributor

DH and I are back from our 8 day Viking River Cruise of the Danube.  We were in Budapest Hungry, Vienna, Krems and Salzburg Austria and Passau and Regensburg Germany.  The weather was cold and rainy which is normal this time of year.  We did have a bright sunny day in Vienna.  This was our first cruise and I really liked the cruising experience.  The staff was so attentive.  They offered us a local treat each time we returned from a tour and on Easter they left us a Lindor chocolate bunny.  The food was plentiful,  a buffet breakfast and 3 course meals for lunch and dinner in manageable portions.  We also met some really nice people.  Unfortunately Covid was raging on the ship, although the ship had NO Covid tests!.  An elderly man in the cabin next to us had to go to the hospital.   I enjoyed Budapest, Vienna and Salzburg the most.  In Vienna we enjoyed a Melange (a latte type of coffee) with a piece of Sachertorte at a cafe which Vienna is famous for.  We also got to see Schonbrunn Palace which was the summer palace for the ruling Hapsburgs including Marie Antoninette.  In Krems we went to an Abbey where they grow grapes for wine making as well as apricots.  We bought some apricot nectar and used it to make ourselves mimosas the next few days for breakfast. We also saw some incredible scenery as we sailed upstream on the Danube.  Lots of picturesque houses and churches.  Not many castles though.  I had a great time and would definitely take another river cruise maybe on the Rhine next time. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Viking River Cruise Danube

@ninjawife Thanks so much for mentioning your cruise. Never have been on a river cruise but have always heard good things about them. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you for sharing your river cruise experience with us! Sounds like you had a great time and saw some beautiful places. I have thought about a river cruise many times. No COVID tests on the ship is inexcusable. Guess you have to bring your own with you. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the review.  My husband and I have been thinking about a a river cruise for a few years now.  We get the Viking pamphlets weekly, it seems.

My husband's mother was born and raised in the Danube area and we would like to visit some day.

Since we have dogs, we can't go for now, but it is on out "to do" list.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife   I'm glad that you had a great cruise experience.

Viking is wonderful and the best part is, you are not onboard

with thousands of people. That was the last vacation we had before covid and we have not traveled since.

In August 2019, my husband and I, my son and daughter in law, and my brother and his wife went on the same Danube cruise as you did. It was a beautiful time of year and not too hot.

Like you, I enjoyed Budapest and seeing the lovely architecture. We enjoyed the little shops and I bought two little

Herend animals to add to my Herend collection.

We visited the same Abbey, which was enjoyable to see. I had never seen apricots growing before. I bought packages of preserved apricots and they were delicious, not dried out like the kind you see in our supermarkets. Apricot nectar sounds yummy, especially to make mimosas.

We also visited Schonbrunn Palace and it was just gorgeous.

In the gift shop, I bought their Sissi lip balm. It was the best lip

balm I have ever used. I wish I could buy more.

We did see rain one day. It was the day we went to Vienna and we did go to one of the cafes for pastry and coffee.

This was our first cruise also. I never had any desire to take a

cruise on the ocean. I've had three bad experiences in water and do not go on boats.

My brother talked me into the Viking cruise. He and his wife

had done the Rhine cruise and loved it. He told me that  it is very safe and always close to land. He was right. I did not even feel like we were moving and we were close to land at all times. Only when we looked at the water over our balcony, did you see that we were moving on water.

The scenery was beautiful and going through the locks was interesting.

We were amazed how staff knew when we left our cabin. Every time we returned, things were straightened up or something was left for us. The dining room staff were all very attentive and the food was very good. It was nice to have the foods of the regions visited.

How unfortunate that people were sick with covid. I hope that you stayed safe. We don't feel safe to fly anywhere yet.

We have not been to Bermuda in 5 years and as much as I love that island, I will wait to see what happens with covid next year. I have been going there since the 70's and miss vacationing there. The best part is, it is only 1 hour and 45 minutes from Boston.

The most tedious thing about going to Europe is the long flight. At my age, 75 and my husband, 84 long flights aren't easy.

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff Yes, traveling to Europe is tedious.  Yesterday we were up at 4:00 am.  We left the Munich airport at 9:45 and flew 8+ hours to Newark NJ.  We had a connecting flight to Philly but there was a 5 hour wait so we took an Amtrak train to Wilmington Delaware where we live.  We did not get home until 6:00 pm EST which felt like midnight to us.  The only good thing is that since my husband is 6 foot 5 inches he insists on flying business class so he is not swished into a seat. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!  At least you expected the weather to be a bit cool & rainy.  To bad about some of the people getting Covid.  I just wish all of that would finally pass!!

I went on a river cruise several years ago with extended family.  There were twelve of us...six adults and six kids (all in their twenties at the time.)

We went on a Smithsonian cruise along the Rone river in France for several days then took the train up to Paris for a few more days.

Most of the other people were older so many of them would come up to us and remark how wonderful it was to have our adult kids along.  I wish we could do that again but most of those "kids" are now married with babies.

We didn't go to as many places but had such a wonderful time!  Lots to eat at each meal, with a big buffet at breakfast and lunch.  Dinner was always a sit down meal with service.  We saw a lot interesting places with a knowledgeable tour guide at each stop.

Valued Contributor

@ninjawife 

My sister and I did the same itinerary on Uniworld cruises. Our first was for our 56th birthday in 2006. It was in December, we had a fabulous time, we also flew out from Munich. We flew business. We've cruised several times always  during Christmas and New Years.

Yes, time difference can affect you.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like a picturesque cruise. But I agree with others, not having Covid tests is unacceptable. And as much as it sounds like a wonderful trip, I won't be traveling anytime soon. It's just not worth the risk of getting Covid. 

Trusted Contributor

What a wonderful vacation! I always thought that river ruising was great because you get to so much of the country and never had to pack/unpack to see each city and visit the country.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)