Occasional Contributor

Anyone taken the train from Williams to Grand Canyon? Is it worth it to stay in park overnight

Occasional Contributor

I did this last fall and really enjoyed it. I had been in the car since leaving Vermont so it was a nice break. The train ride "entertainment " was a little hokey, but I loved the ride. The buffet food isn't gourmet, but passable. The hotel was nice, and everything runs very efficiently. And yes, staying right in the park is totally worth it. 

Respected Contributor

We flew to Phoenix and drove to Williams for the night. The train ride is not senic but pleasant. I don't think it is necessary to pay for the senic upper section (I don't remember what it is called) The next tier of seating would be just fine. And this section has access to the snacks too and is a little roomey . On the way home the train entertainers have a little gimick to get tips. They would have gotten it anyway. 

We did not spend the night in the canyon but did have lunch at the historic hotel which was very nice. We had plenty of time to see what to see before reboarding the train. (Note: I was surprised that the elevation bothered me)

The next morning we departed for a senic drive to Sedona. We spent the afternoon and part of the next before returning to Phoenix for return flight. 

Honored Contributor

I never took the train, but I stayed at the Grand Canyon Park many times.  My favorite place to stay was the Bright Angel Lodge Cabins.  They are historic and wonderful to wake up early and see the wildlife that comes right up to your door. The cabins are right at the canyons edge.

The Lodge and motels are not bad either.  We drove from Las Vegas, but the train looks like it could be fun.

If you go, enjoy your trip.