Esteemed Contributor

Old Bay is a great seafood seasoning. I think that's the key to mine - seasoning.

But instead of that (which I do have), I've been using Cajun (McCormicks) and Curry. Curry livens up tuna.

Sprinkles of: salt, pepper, curry, apple pie spice, Cajun, minced fresh parsley, sweet onion chopped fine, chopped red bell pepper, celery...

More celery, less onion, even less of the bell pepper. 

Wild caught tuna preferably packed in oil. I often mix in Lemon Pepper Starkist, even though it's Starkist. (All the tuna is drained.) Mix of mayo & salad dressing.

DD makes a whole different recipe: tuna (don't know what she gets), artichokes, grated parmesean cheese, tuna, mayo.

Valued Contributor

@jackthebear Panera was my go to place for tuna.  I remember the mustard as well as the sprouts.  I think they stopped the sprouts.  It was so good.

Valued Contributor

Does anyone remember Read's Drug Store?  They had the best lunch counter and I always got their tuna.  That's where my love of tuna fish salad began. 

Respected Contributor

I use Starkist solid white in water.  I drain well, 

Hellmans mayo

Dash of apple cider vinegar

Minced or fresh onion 

Diced tomatoes 

Dash of garlic powder 

Salt/pepper 

I find the vinegar really makes all the flavors pop.

I mix everything very well, I don't like chunky tuna.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tuna Salad Recipe

[ Edited ]

Solid white albacore tuna.

Chopped red onion *that you soak in water a few minutes and then drain* before making the tuna salad.

Dijon mustard.

Parsley.

Light mayo.

Celery.

Lemon juice.

S & P.

Have fun -- you'll know what you like after you taste and play this way!

Best wishes for your tuna dishes!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  container says for seafood, poultry, salads and meats.  i  use it on grilled fish, salmon patties, steamed shrimp and tuna salad.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

Old Bay seasoning is a staple in the mid-Atlantic region when cooking crab or shrimp dishes and topping fish before grilling, baking or broiling.  Never admit to anyone in the Maryland/DC/VA  region--or anywhere near the Chesapeake Bay--that you've never heard of it.

It seemed to have disappeared from our local stores in Georgia  during the pandemic, so I happily substituted PAUL PRUDHOMME SEAFOOD MAGIC blend.  That's good too.

Haven't tried this with tuna salad, but this discussion gives me the idea.  Worth a try.

Old Bay® Seasoning 6 OzMagic Seasonings Chef Paul Prudhommes Magic Seasoning Blends Seafood Magic, 2 Oz

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chopsmom ................My tuna salad has sweet relish, boiled eggs, onion and I add a tad of garlic powder and sweet pickle juice to my mayo.  I have even added some ranch dressing.  I add a tad of salt and pepper too, mostly on the eggs or in the mayo.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Sounds great.

I've put sliced egg on top a time or two.  Will try mixing it in next time.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Chopsmom ................My tuna salad has sweet relish, boiled eggs, onion and I add a tad of garlic powder and sweet pickle juice to my mayo.  I have even added some ranch dressing.  I add a tad of salt and pepper too, mostly on the eggs or in the mayo.

@Imaoldhippie 

I think yours and mine is almost identical, save the ranch dressing. I shudder at the thought of Ranch dressing, but my husband loves it. I have made his with that and mine with Hellman's or Kraft mayo.