Super Contributor

Sweet pickle relish adds a great deal of flavor.  It's been in my tuna salad for the past 50 years.  I am guessing you mean salad to make a sandwich.  If you are making tuna salad with macaroni, you may want to add a little less. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tuna Salad Recipe

[ Edited ]

@Chopsmom wrote:

Hi everyone!

This sounds silly, but I need some expert advice on the perfect tuna salad.  

I use premium albacore, Hellmans mayo, celery and pepper, but it always lacks that taste I've experienced with restaurants and even friend's tuna fish.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Add some minced/chopped onion, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and salt to those good ingredients above,

I use chunk light tuna (less mercury), but you could also mix albacore and light.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make tuna salad a bit different every time, using what I have available because I don't keep a stocked pantry.  

also I do

Miracle whip instead of mayo sometimes

I occasionally add a little creamy Italian or creamy Caesar salad dressing.

Honored Contributor

I use dukes mayo

we love the tuna at Panera the secret is adding some Dijon mustard 

Honored Contributor

I love tuna and eat almost everyday for lunch.

I use my mothers recipe only use solid white albacore either by Star Kist or Bumble Bee packed in water.

I drain then squeeze excess water out.  Add finely  chopped celery & red onion.  I add about tbsp of Hellmans mayo. Salt, pepper and maybe pinch of garlic salt.

Sometimes I just add sweet pickle relish -- depending what I feel like having that day. 

I've asked at various places and they just tell me tuna & mayo. (maybe they use different mayo but I only like Hellmans whereas my friends like Dukes)

@Chopsmom your right tuna always tastes better out🤷‍♀️

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1  thank you!  I will try red onion.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tuna sald without diced sweet pickle reish (or dill pickle relish if you prefer), is not good for anything but growing boys.  Pickle relish and chopped boiled eggs, horseradish, mayo, cayenne pepper,  shot of of lemon juice, and some green onions chopped fine.  Otherwise, don't give it to me....

Honored Contributor

Sweet pickle relish is always good to add. 

For years I made the tuna with one can of albacore and one can of light tuna in water.  I theought it gave it a much more interesting taste.

ALSO ......  one time I was out of celery and substituted a small can of sliced water chestnuts that I had chopped into even smaller pieces.  It was so good that I stopped using celery and now only use water chestnuts.   It gives the salad such a nice crunchy texture ... Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

tuna belly packed in olive oil.....from italy.....its the best! i buy the FLOTT brand.

good mayo......hellmanns or dukes

sea salt, freshly ground pepper

finely chopped celery

onion powder

celery seed

a few squeezes of fresh lemon

*serve with good bread, good tomatoes, pickles, red or vidalia onions (thinly sliced) and some fresh lemons on the side*

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Tuna sald without diced sweet pickle reish (or dill pickle relish if you prefer), is not good for anything but growing boys.  Pickle relish and chopped boiled eggs, horseradish, mayo, cayenne pepper,  shot of of lemon juice, and some green onions chopped fine.  Otherwise, don't give it to me....

@Nonametoday 

I made mine exactly like yours except for the cayenne.  Our boys loved it.