Valued Contributor

Hi everyone!

This sounds silly, but I need some expert advice on the perfect tuna salad.  

I use premium albacore, Hellmans mayo, celery and pepper, but it always lacks that taste I've experienced with restaurants and even friend's tuna fish.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

I usually buy the regular tuna, not the albacore.  I grew up before albacore and so I just prefer the regular.  You might also try these two additions:  hard boiled eggs and red onion.  

Respected Contributor

I like to add squish of lemon and prepared horseradish (cream), start a little TBS and taste it- Sometimes shredded carrots, for extra veg! 

Honored Contributor

We skip the mayo and add a little olive oil and lemon or lime juice and or good flavorful vinegar.  We add all sorts things like grapes, nuts, celery, apples, dried cranberries or cherries, pumpkin seeds maybe, italian seasoning, parsley, dill, mint or other fresh herbs.

For company we might add a little mayo with apples, walnuts and celery--Waldorf tuna salad!  

Valued Contributor

Re: Tuna Salad Recipe

[ Edited ]

@Sooner  WOW that sounds delicious. 

Honored Contributor

I add some garlic powder and dill.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

@Skyegirl21  i add creamed horseradish to my devlied eggs.  Never thought about the tuna.  Will try it.

Honored Contributor

@Chopsmom wrote:

@Sooner  WOW that sounds delicious. 

@Chopsmom We love to add the dried fruit and nuts, and  often we do fruit in bite sized chopped pieces and serve it as more of a salad with crackers or good crispy bread than as a sandwich. 

We are creative with it and spur of the moment! Just experiment and have fun.

Valued Contributor

My mother used mayo,  a little mustard, chopped boiled egg and sweet pickle relish.

Valued Contributor

@justashopper I grew up with that too.  Same tuna, just different brands.  Seems like today's tuna is just not as good as in the past that's why I've switched to albacore. 

Maybe I'll give chunk light another try.