Honored Contributor

Re: Slow Cooker Stuffing, Eggs?

Oh, that looks delicious @Kachina624 !

I do love stuffing, I don't get it often, but I love it.  Thank you Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Carmie would you mind sharing your recipe when you have a moment?

Sure, I have posted it here before.  Keep in mind that I am a dump cook, so I don’t  Measure anything. This is an estimate, you need to use your judgement

I made my stuffing today and it’s in the refrigerator.  I had to hide it because my DH can’t leave it alone. I will stuff the bird tomorrow. This is what I used.

2 large loaves of white sandwich bread cut into cubes.

1 1/2 huge sweet onion chopped fine

1 whole stalk celery chopped fine with the leaves included.

3 or 4 eggs

about 2 cans of evaporated milk.. sometime I use regular 2% milk from the fridge  and it’s fine 

Salt, pepper and fresh parsley

butter.

saute the onions and celery in butter.

add eggs to milk and whisk well.  Pour over bread cubes a little at a time and mix.  The bread cubes should be moist, but not soggy.  If it is too dry, add a bit more milk and mix again.  Then add the sautéed onions and celery, salt and pepper to taste, and fresh parsley.  Incorporate well.  Taste to make sure there is enough salt, but don’t make too salty.

in a large frying pan, add butter... about 1/2 stick and melt.  Fry half of the stuffing mixture until golden brown.   Don’t burn and keep stirring it.  It should be in small pieces and not one big blob.  Remove from pan and put in large bowl and add 1/2 stick of butter to the pan again and fry the second batch.  You can use more butter to keep from sticking, if you need to.  The more butter you use, the better it tastes.  

If you have smaller frying fans, you may have to fry in a few batches.  This stuffing is really good.  Sometimes I make it as a side and serve  it as is, no baking is needed, but it bakes well in the bird or casserole dish too.

The butter, celery and onions is what gives it excellent flavor, so don’t skimp.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Noel7@momtochloe@ECBG@Carmie@birkin baby

Here is my recipe for Oyster Stuffing (well, Helen Corbett’s recipe). The last line should say “cook until oysters start to curl.”

The oysters/spices I then add to Pepperidge Farm stuffing that is already made up.

65605C24-9F87-46CC-88F4-64073D1960EA.jpeg

Oh, my father would have loved this @LTT1!  He loved his oysters.  Thank you for going to all that trouble to share the recipe Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@LTT1  That recipe looks delicious.  I am going to keep it in my my recipe box.  I love Oysters . I’ll just have to make it gluten free.  yummy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7@Carmie@Kachina624@momtochloe@ECBG

Noel7 — wow What a serious time of it you had! Hang in there and feel well/get well!

@ECBG

The Pepperidge Farm stuffing to choose from seem like they all multiplied! Never have I seen so many choices!

DH is picking up our meal from Cracker Barrel tomorrow am!

Yes, ECBG, isn’t it nice to have that pre-made stuffing? What are your plans for tomorrow?

@Carmie

Good deal! It used to be the guys only who begged for that dressing!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 I love hearing about oyster stuffing as I have lived my whole life in landlocked Illinois so oysters are out of my depth.  The only time I was introduced to them was when I was in New Orleans with my ex and a bartender made a bet with me that if he could guess what wine the other bartender had poured for me I had to shoot an oyster . . . clearly now that I am sober it was a bar trick I fell for but I still remember looking at that cracker with that oyster and thinking gee I don't know about this but it all ended well . . . Smiley Happy

Thanks for the smile, that was a fun memory!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe
So glad you got a grin! Happy Thanksgiving to you for tomorrow!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

We have always added a raw egg to our slow cooker stuffing. It's always delicious and nobody has got sick.😃

Honored Contributor

Ah @Carmie I do apologize as I believe we have had this conversation before . . . I am more than intrigued about your stuffing but one quick question.  I am assuming the bread cubes are dried before you start the assembly process yes?

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 where is my head? . . . Cracker Barrel . . . now that I have moved they are sort of close to me . . . I can have Thanksgiving whenever I want . . . I used to work close to one and would bring home a turkey dinner for my mom once a week . . . thank you my friend!