Honored Contributor

Re: Help please, hubby says rice is boring.

[ Edited ]

I feel guilty about starting this thread, because you took the time to post excellent ideas.

There are so many things he can't eat, or won't eat.  I know the inclination would be to say, "Well, then he can not eat", but he has health issues and he eats very little, so I try to cook things that will entice him. One of the things he's most likely to eat is cheese, so while I try to cook lighter meals, I think I'll have to get cheesy, maybe with Parmesan or cheddar.  Pesto was a great idea, as well, he likes pesto.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I don't like rice either, too boring.  You have to load it up with "stuff" to make it tasty.  Do you need rice for dinner?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you tried Jasmine rice? It's moist, soft & imo tastes better than plain white rice...great with salmon & peas. Brown Basmati rice has a nutty flavor, I don't care for it but my family really likes it with salmon & chicken. Easy to sub broth for water in any rice, add the veggies you like & serve or top with Panko, cheese & lightly brown them.

Esteemed Contributor

being armenian, we eat a lot of bulgur pilaf....very tasty....bulgur is a wheat grain....google it....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Don't forget about basmati rice.  Even plain, it smells quite wonderful while cooking (and afterward).  

If you haven't tried it, it might just be different enough to please both of you.  Good luck.

Basmati rice also contains lower levels of arsenic than other types of rice, even without the overnight soaking and next-day rinsing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Have you tried Jasmine rice? It's moist, soft & imo tastes better than plain white rice...great with salmon & peas. Brown Basmati rice has a nutty flavor, I don't care for it but my family really likes it with salmon & chicken. Easy to sub broth for water in any rice, add the veggies you like & serve or top with Panko, cheese & bake until brown. 

I agree. And Jasmine rice makes the kitchen smell so good. 

The boxed rice mixes with quinoa or wild rice are also fantastic and they cook up easily in a rice cooker.

One of my favorite things is to saute diced oninions, green bell peppers, and mushrooms in a pan with butter and then mix that into cooked rice. I don't do it often because I hate chopping up all the veggies, but it tastes yummy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Try any of the Zatarain brand of boxed rice mixes.  DH loves rice more than I do, so I fix it more often.  He likes his to have some type of zippy taste, but also loves just plain white rice as a side dish.

Uncle Ben's white and wild rice blend is always a hit, too.

Try Zatarain yellow rice or dirty rice or red beans & rice blend. The yellow rice is my personal favorite.

Zatarain is a New Orleans-based type of food and is seasoned accordingly.  You can add various types of meat, such as chicken or smoked sausage to some of the blends and have them come out very well.

I often add some frozen peas or other vegetables to the plainer rice blends.

Valued Contributor

A few ideas that I use are...

1. I add a half of a Knorr's chicken bouillon cube to the water and add butter according to taste.

2. Sprinkle McCormick's Perfect pinch Lemon Herb seasoning with chopped scallions.

3. Sautes shallots and mushrooms and add to cooked rice.

4. Add Parmesan cheese and parsley.

Great suggestions all around!

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Valued Contributor

@house_cat, since your husband likes cheese maybe a rice au gratin.  I found this recipe that makes 6 servings which may be way more than you need.

3 cups hot cooked rice

1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese

1 cup warm milk

1/2  tsp salt

1/2 tsp curry

1/2 tsp worcestshire sauce

Place cooked rice and 1/2 cheese in buttered baking dish. 

Combine milk, salt, curry and worcestshire.  Pour over rice and mix well.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@Elodie2

That's different.  I might have to try that one tonight.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~