Honored Contributor

@eddyandme 

As a Southern girl, I've loved cubed steak (usually with gravy) my whole life and still make it for my family, we all love it and one doesn't really like to eat 'meat'.

A couple of my thoughts is that I've never had to pound cubed steaks, that's why they're 'cubed', which actually means running it through a machine that pokes small holes in the steak to break up the sinew.

And I don't use any canned soups.

I simply sprinkle the steaks with Lawry's Season salt and garlic salt, dredge in flour (twice if I want extra crispy steaks) and brown on both sides.

Once cooked, I move them to a paper plate, reserving 2 tbs. of the oil they were cooked in and add the same amount of flour to the oil and stir in the pan for a minute or two to cook out the 'raw flour' taste.

Add water and stir until the gravy is the consistency you like for gravy, then add the steaks, cover and cook on medium, occasionally stirring the gravy and 'splashing' it over the steaks for maybe 10 minutes. At that point they're pretty much already cooked due to the frying stage.

Variations: We love to add fresh mushrooms and/or sliced onion when frying the steaks, remove when you remove the steaks and add back to your gravy with the steaks.

We always have them with mashed potatoes and a favorite veggie!

Wham...Bam! Thank you ma'am!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I love a cube steak, fried in butter and topped with a bunch of grilled onions.  We had them regularly when I was  kid, not so much as an adult.  I'm going to make them one if these days. Thanks for the reminder!  

Contributor

I make chopped sirloin patties with onion and mushroom gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a green vegetable.  Very easy, many recipes on the internet.  This is way better than cube steak and comes out better.  Spouse makes homemade crusty bread, great dipping in the gravy, needless to say, I love carbs.

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

So.... someone comes on here asking for advice and gets replies that her planned dinner is gross.  I just don't understand the need to even post that.  Just be nice and move on. 

@Knit-Chick ,

I know, right?? The OP was just asking for preparation advice, not advice on HER meat choice for a meal!

I just don't get it....I guess some people just can't help themselves from being off topic to the thread (which in all caps said 'CUBE STEAK') or being rude and insulting to the OP.

The next time (and there will be a next time, IMO), that Q decides to shut down the forums, it'll be because of petty carp like this.

I mean, who can disagree about someone else's menu choice on the Recipe Forum, and why would they??

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Well I for one have enjoyed reading how others cook their cube steaks.  I feel a bit embarrassed that I use the canned sauce, but you see I am gravy challenged.🤣🤣

I am going to jot down some of these directions to use if I feel brave enough try my hand at gravy!  

Thanks!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties 

Oh, the gravy is easier than you may think! In the south, we're gravy queens, LOL!

Just have an equal amount of hot (sizzling) oil, I use medium high, until a wooden spoon's handle bubbles when you put it in the oil, then it's hot enough, and add the same amount of flour to the oil.

Stir around the flour and oil to cook the 'flour taste' out, then add enough water to make it the consistency you want and let it simmer a few minutes.

If you want to make a 'milk gravy', just use milk instead of the water.

For sausage gravy, cook the sausage first and drain on a paper towel, then add enough flour to match the oil, cook a couple of minutes, add the sausage back and you're good to go for biscuits, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme, I love cube steak. I usually rinse mine, flour and fry in hot grease. I've never marinated it. 

Honored Contributor

My family loves cube steak and we always have it in the freezer.   

Esteemed Contributor

I learned a lot from this thread so thanks to those that kindly provided their hints.  

Esteemed Contributor

Why would anyone want to insult someone over their choice of meat?