Respected Contributor

KALE...TERRIBLE...WHAT TO DO WITH IT...HELP

[ Edited ]

Finally bought some kale today. I spoke to a fellow meticulously choosing, just the right bunch at the store. Figured he would be a person who could give me good advice. So, I asked him what he does with it. He told me he, "Is a salad kind of guy" and he uses it that way.

So, for supper, I cut up some tomatoes, took off the stems of the kale, chopped a few leaves and put on some dressing. I was optimistic, but IMHO, it was inedible and tasted like starched, curly grass.

Anyone here eat it and actually like it? if so, how or what do you do to make it eatable?

I googed recipes and I cannot find a single one that I thought would make it tasty. I would cook it or eat it raw if it tastes good.

Can you help me or is it an acquired taste?

Honored Contributor

Re: KALE...TERRIBLE...WHAT TO DO WITH IT...HELP

@Flatbush I saw on a tv show about kale chips so I thought I'd try it since the person who showed how to make them said they are soooo good and you won't even miss potato chips.  WRONG!!!  They were biter and awful.  Tried a little in a salad mixed with other greens and it was still awful.  My conclusion was that the only thing to do with it was to throw it out and never try it again!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush   Don't give up....here is a favorite salad that I make:

destem a bunch of kale - fold the leaf over and use a sharp knife to remove the length of the stem....this is important as the steam can be bitter (also why I never buy prechopped kale, they always include the stem)

chop the destemed kale into tiny pieces...again, this will improve the taste

place the kale in a large bowl and massage an avocado into the chopped kale

squeeze fresh lemon juice over the kale

salt to taste

I usually add pine nuts with or without some craisins or you can add chopped tomato

Simple, quick, nutritional, and delicious

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush   I also make cheesy kale chips, but it requires a dehydrator.  So good!

Valued Contributor

My husband loves it ! But the stems are bitter , even the smaller parts .  I cut just the curly part off the end and discard the rest . A kitchen shears works best . He puts it in eggs scrambled , and other things, but only puts a little on stuff . I grow it on my deck in the summer , it's much more tender, l don't let it get so big like the ones in the store .

Respected Contributor

Why is it that anyting that's supposed to be good for you tastes like ******?

Honored Contributor

Throw it out.  Eat spinach at least it tastes good in salads.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush,

I can't believe imagine eating it raw-ick!

Kale chips are good-my mother and daughter made them a lot esp in the summer.

I like the traditional southern way-boil

yes til quite limp-salt pepper -I like vinegar but a lot of people like butter.

You can also throw some turnip greens in along with the kale if you want. There is nothing like "cooked to death," or cooked all day greens as we used to call my grandmother's.😊

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Throw it out, why eat something you dont like?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

Finally bought some kale today. I spoke to a fellow meticulously choosing, just the right bunch at the store. Figured he would be a person who could give me good advice. So, I asked him what he does with it. He told me he, "Is a salad kind of guy" and he uses it that way.

So, for supper, I cut up some tomatoes, took off the stems of the kale, chopped a few leaves and put on some dressing. I was optimistic, but IMHO, it was inedible and tasted like starched, curly grass.

Anyone here eat it and actually like it? if so, how or what do you do to make it eatable?

I googed recipes and I cannot find a single one that I thought would make it tasty. I would cook it or eat it raw if it tastes good.

Can you help me or is it an acquired taste?

kale cesar salad, mix 50% with Romaine, I love it.

I have the best homemade ceaser dressing and I can post it.