Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother I agree, pounding them to 1/4" thick breaks down the sinew.  I dredge about 1 1/2 lbs of flattened meat in 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in a pie plate.  Let them rest on a platter for 5 minutes. 

I fry them 2 at a time in a tbsp of oil.  Use new oil for new steaks.

I make a sauce by cooking a chopped onion in 2 tbsp butter until soft.  Stir in a tbsp flour and cook for a minute.  Stir in a cup of beef broth, a tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 tsp dried thyme.  Simmer until thickened. 

If making the sauce, I cook it before frying the meat.     

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@fairydogmother I agree, pounding them to 1/4" thick breaks down the sinew.  I dredge about 1 1/2 lbs of flattened meat in 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in a pie plate.  Let them rest on a platter for 5 minutes. 

I fry them 2 at a time in a tbsp of oil.  Use new oil for new steaks.

I make a sauce by cooking a chopped onion in 2 tbsp butter until soft.  Stir in a tbsp flour and cook for a minute.  Stir in a cup of beef broth, a tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 tsp dried thyme.  Simmer until thickened. 

If making the sauce, I cook it before frying the meat.     

Your recipe sounds delicious 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

You can "slow cook" them in the oven for about 2-3 hours at 200 to 250 degrees. 

I use a cast iron braiser with a cover and brown them on the stove first. Add worchestshire sauce, some Montreal Seasoning Steak seasoning, cut up some onions, maybe a tomatoe.  I just sort of wing it. 

They come out fork tender, but they also shrink quite a bit. 

Respected Contributor

Who knows what any of us might be eating during the next year ....

My hubby said thanks this morning for scrambled eggs .... and I

told him you may be getting them for dinner if things keep up the

way they are ....

Oh well .. carry on ..!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you everyone for your recipes - sound very good - can't wait to try!!!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme   We like cube steak.  Buy them at the local meat market, not a supermarket. DH flours and browns them.  Then use Campbells Mushroom soup and Lipton's dry beefy onion soup and bake at 350.  They come out tender and the gravy is great for mashed potatoes.  I would not pan fry them.  They must be baked to come out tender.

Since you are planning for lunch, maybe make knife and fork sandwichs with them and cover with the gravy instead of a full meal with potatoes, etc.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal @wagirl   Maybe it's the way you cook them or where you buy them.  Ours come out tender and delicious.  I don't remember having eaten them as a child but my Mom was the best cook, so if she made them, they would have been good.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Let's just be honest here, it is a lousy cut of meat!

No, they're not.

They're on our menu once a week. The way I cook them, them they're always fork tender and delicious, either with gravy/Vidalia onions or without. Just add a pile of mashed potatoes with them.

Whoever cooked them for you apparently just didn't know how to cook them.

Instead of trying to ruin someone else's thread, why not just move on instead of trying so hard to be rude to the OP and others here????

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I am lucky to have a great butcher shop and I buy most of my meat there.  I do not buy my cube steaks at the grocery store.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Let's just be honest here, it is a lousy cut of meat!

I have to disagree that cube steak is always a lousy cut of meat. It really does depend on what cut of meat was put thru the cuber. It's not always a round steak, sometimes they use other cuts when they have just a bit of beef left over from cutting a steak or roast. Sometimes that meat becomes stew meat, sometimes there is enough to put thru the cuber and do small cube steaks. The cuber is merely a "tenderizer" machine. Some retailers do what is called needling - which is essential the same concept - they tenderize the meat muscle in such a way as to make it tender w/o consumer knowing any different. Restaurants also use needling so their steaks are more tender.

When I a make cube steak I want to be "beefy", I dredge it w/ flour, salt and pepper, lightly brown both sides, cover w/ slice onions, mushrooms and brown gravy, bake for about 40 minutes at 350.

If I'm in the mood for a chicken fried steak, I do a double coating of seasoned flour and fry the cube steak and cover w/ a chicken or a sausage pepper gravy.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."