Respected Contributor

Recommedations for best poached egg cooker?

[ Edited ]

I love poached eggs. I usually make them in a pan but would like recommendations for a poached egg cooker so they stay nice and round and not so much foam left. TIA  Starr

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: Recommedations for best poached egg cooker?

@Starpolisher wrote:

I love poached eggs. I usually make them in a pan but would like recommendations for a poached egg cooker so they stay nice and round and not so much foam left. TIA  Starr

I'm not a big poached egg cook, but you mentioned foam in the water, I once read and it works , to crack your egg in a sieve, and the liquid that comes out is what makes the foam , then cook the remaining egg and you won't have the foam. I have a very small sieve, set it on a cup,and let the rest be cooked. I know you didn't ask for this, but try it and see if it works for you, I have an egg cooker, just made eggs in it this morning. It's called "Elite Cuisine" you can make all sorts of eggs with it. It's electric, has a buzzer to tell you when the eggs are done. I'm sure I didn't pay a lot for it, and it's come from either QVC or Amazon. Had it  a few years and love it. hope I've helped.

Regular Contributor

Check out Poachies on Am........n.  They are egg poaching bags that you put in a pot of boiling water (with the egg inside).  The egg comes out without stickiing to the bag and it does not have the usual foam that comes with just dropping the egg into the boiling water  They are not reusable- single use only and come in a pouch of 100 bags.

Respected Contributor

It's a Bella 17285--- 13.91  Amazon This is what I have. HLP

Respected Contributor

I poach eggs in the microwave.  Many videos on YouTube.   Results vary depending on how hot the water is when you start and how long you cook the egg.  

It takes some experimenting but it is quick with no additional gadgets to buy and store.

Respected Contributor

@HLP 

The seive really works: no foam, no wispy clouds !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

The sieve method is tried and true in my kitchen.

Trusted Contributor

I have a couple silicone egg cups/poachers that you crack the egg in and then float on top of the water.  They do ok, but still not the same as a good egg poached in water.

Super Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I poach eggs in the microwave.  Many videos on YouTube.   Results vary depending on how hot the water is when you start and how long you cook the egg.  

It takes some experimenting but it is quick with no additional gadgets to buy and store.

I've tried poached eggs in the microwave and haven't found the magic time for it to be perfect yet. Plus, you can usually only do one at a time as the microwave is spotty in area. I've had one fully dry egg and one partially cooked egg with the whites still gummy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am fond of poached eggs and still cling to a small pan of water on the stovetop.  They come out so nice.