Esteemed Contributor

Having company this week.  With the price of beef nowadays, was thinking of cooking up a few cube steaks for a meal.  However we all like to eat our main meal at lunchtime, so cannot slow cook.

Any recipes provided will be greatly appreciated.  Also, when just frying them should I marinate them before cooking?

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry I simply cannot help you.  I loathe cube steaks, had to eat them as a child and I still to this day cannot even look at them in the market.  If it was me I'd go for a nice burger instead.  

Trusted Contributor

I'll try to help (and be nice about it!)   My mom used to use them for salisbury steak.  I've never made it and haven't had it in years, but it was the ultimate comfort food with mashed potatoes.  I did a quick google search and saw some recipes that used cube steak that turned out tender.  

Sorry I'm not much more help, but good luck!  

Respected Contributor

This is the only way I have ever prepared cube steaks.  We like them!

I sprinkle them with pepper and then lightly dredge them in flour.  I brown them In a skillet with just a bit of oil.  I then place them in a shallow baking dish.  I put Dawn Fresh 

Mushroom Steak Sauce on them to cover.  Then a can of sliced mushrooms.  Cover and bake them at 350 for an hour or so.

They always come out fork tender and the gravy is very good over mashed potatoes.

I strive to stay away from processed foods but I still occasionally use the Dawn Fresh.  We like it.

D2C6CA77-9937-40A3-9D9D-56B9A7050750.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Gross! My mom fixed them too---hated them---stringy and chewy---never bought them or ever would!!

Trusted Contributor

So.... someone comes on here asking for advice and gets replies that her planned dinner is gross.  I just don't understand the need to even post that.  Just be nice and move on. 

Respected Contributor

Maybe the way they are prepared makes a big difference.  Mine have never been tough or stringy.  Maybe the quality of the meat????

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Let's just be honest here, it is a lousy cut of meat!

Respected Contributor

I prepare cube steaks like this: first and foremost, pound them with a meat mallet to break up the tough sinews in the meat. They will be fork tender after cooking. 
Next, dredge in seasoned flour. Fry in oil til browned on both sides. Place in a casserole dish. Combine brown gravy mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and water. Pour over. Top with French fried onions. Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 min to an hour. 
Yummy. Note that the prepared products have plenty of sodium in them so don't add extra salt. FYI. 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother That sounds good!