Contributor

Re: 6 Inch Cake Pan - Great for Small Recipes!

In December I found aluminum Wilton 6"x2" round and 6"x2" square pans. I have a set of both. I make layer cakes with them and have used each one once. You take batter that's for a 9" pan which is usually half of a recipe, and divide it between both 6" pans. With frosting between each layer each cake is only 3" tall.

Round pans are model # 2105-2185, square are model # 507-2180

squareCake.jpg6 in round Header.jpg

Valued Contributor

@lopsie2 wrote:

In December I found aluminum Wilton 6"x2" round and 6"x2" square pans. I have a set of both. I make layer cakes with them and have used each one once. You take batter that's for a 9" pan which is usually half of a recipe, and divide it between both 6" pans. With frosting between each layer each cake is only 3" tall.

squareCake.jpg6 in round Header.jpg

Oh my they look so good! Is that a pistachio frosting on the first one? Do you have a recipe to share? Thanks for the inspiration!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 Yes, that is the one I have.  I really need to use it.    It's hard to store/freeze a larger cake and my husand really likes desserts so the little cakes will be perfect.

Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

@lopsie2 wrote:

Oh my they look so good! Is that a pistachio frosting on the first one? Do you have a recipe to share? Thanks for the inspiration!

No, it's just aqua food coloring added to buttercream frosting, but not the one from the same site as the cake. The cake is excellent. It's called "moist white cake" and the site is called I Scream For Buttercream. I added chopped maraschino cherries to the batter. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

I do my regular cake mix (about 4 cups) -- I only fill the mini bundt (6) about 1/2 way -- a normal cake batter will do about 18.

If I bake for us yes I freeze.  Most times, I'm baking for a occasion.

I freeze a lot of cakes/cookies/doughs. I carefully wrap in "parchment" then foil then plastic freezer bag.  I only keep for about a month.  I remove all wrapping and defrost -- then I do icing.

The mini bundts I did in picture were for a friends get together.  The topping is fresh pineapple whipped cream.

I have to do another batch over the weekend - I'm making a version of black forest cake.  I'll take pics of how I fill them using pastry bag (to control the amount easier).  A small cookie scoop would work also.

Happy Baking🙂🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 :  After reading this thread I bought this exact pan on Amazon.  I love making bundt cakes and these will be perfect for my family (5 when grands come for vacations). I can also see making mini pineapple upside down cakes.  These will be so much fun!

Honored Contributor

@lopsie2 wrote:

@QPrincess wrote:

@lopsie2 wrote:

No, it's just aqua food coloring added to buttercream frosting, but not the one from the same site as the cake. The cake is excellent. It's called "moist white cake" and the site is called I Scream For Buttercream. I added chopped maraschino cherries to the batter. 

@QPrincess 

If you want a yummy whipped icing of pistachio my go to recipe:

1 large tub of cool whip (or whip your own from heavy cream)

1 large (2 small) jello instant pistachio pudding mix 

Whip together if "thick" add a little bit of milk to "thin".

If want icing -- use traditional icing recipe (I make Wilton buttercream using all butter only no shortening unless using for decorating)

add 1 large box of pistachio pudding -- again if too "thick" thin with milk.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

If you go on that website that starts with a "P" - don't want to put it in, in case of this post being deleted- you can do a search for recipes for 1 or 2 servings and "pin" the recipe to save.  There are sweet recipes and savory ones as well.  I live alone and find that helpful for making more manageable meals and desserts.

@retiredatlast 

You mean the one with much interest that begins with a P?

Honored Contributor

You girls all have such wonderful ideas for cooking.  I like to just hang out and not type much here because I feel like a beginner in this group.  I do enjoy this forum.

Honored Contributor

My gf has her grandkids every other Sunday -- they love "whoppie pies".  I make fun treats for them for her.

I try to make them different variations -- easy made with box cake mix and marshmallow fluff filling🙂

AE517036-D689-43FC-8072-80BFA5349BFB.jpeg

35CE98C3-05F8-46F5-BC27-753CB4E9B25C.jpeg